Home Technical Talk

Bioshock Infinite PBR Effects

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
David Somers polycounter lvl 10
I've been working for some time on this Bioshock Infinite based project and now I want to tackle the textures for this airship launchbay. I've been taking a painstaking amount of time and effort to remain true to the original design and art style of the original game. The hard part is that I don't have access to any of the presets or special systems built in IG's custom engine build and I'm not sure what's the best option to go about replicating them.

ScreenShot001_zps5b48d408.jpg

ScreenShot002_zps57ef23a1.jpg

An example of some of the effect's managed. By IG employees, Spencer Luebbert and Steve Anichini: http://vimeo.com/87363349

The thing I can gather that's most relative to this point in my project is the PBR presets they used. Most this interior will require some form of reflective, gloss and metallic properties being that it uses a lot of metal truss work and supports. Maybe I'm wrong but by default there is no default PBR systems in the stock Unreal 3? I was lead to believe it only uses the older cubemap systems with static based reflections. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I may have a harder time managing that kind of visual effect.

So my questions are, since I'm using stock UE3 what are my exact options to go about this? Within the bounds of what the engine has to offer, does anyone know of some good resources that might shed some light on working with the existing systems in UE3? Currently I'm preparing for what I'm going to need to pull this off, so if anyone would like to make additional points for me to note about this I'd love to hear it. :)

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Option 1: Get UE4 its 20$ (can cancel sub) and comes with a full PBR setup

Option 2: Create a PBR shader using CustomLighting slot (theres a bunch here. I think AlmightyGir posted one up)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The easiest solution would be to just move the project into UE4, there's no PBR in UE3, and the solutions that exist are hacks that don't do it as well. Here's one option http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124934
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    An example of some of the effect's managed. By IG employees, Spencer Luebbert and Steve Anichini: http://vimeo.com/87363349

Here's Steve Anichini's blog explaining how it was done:

http://solid-angle.blogspot.com/2014/03/bioshock-infinite-lighting.html

It's not possible to do what he mentions without the full source code access that you get from being a licensee.
  • David Somers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Here's Steve Anichini's blog explaining how it was done:

http://solid-angle.blogspot.com/2014/03/bioshock-infinite-lighting.html

It's not possible to do what he mentions without the full source code access that you get from being a licensee.

Funny you mention that, as I was actually studying that very same blog post when going over all this yesterday. They said they setup their own PBR templates and while I'd love to use UE3 for keeping the engine build authentic, there is absolutely no way I could pull off what they did in terms of lighting. I'm still very new to working in Unreal Editor so while I consider a lot of the workflow would remain the same. UE4 will still take me a while to completely transition to.

I guess now my question would be how to go about transferring all my existing assets over, or if it would be easier to simply re-import them all manually?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You would have to re-import them, but it's easy enough.

An aside from the engine talk, I have a crit for the geo :)

I think in these shots your floor strikes me as far to flat. There's alot of texture detail, but no height definition. I think just lowering the floor an inch below the metal trim around the room would help alot.
  • David Somers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After just outright asking Anichini himself about it, I think making the transition to UE4 will probably be the best option. Since I'm planning on making a long stay with development in Unreal anyway, it's probably best I just bump up to the next best thing.

@Fearian. I've sorta been debating the floor details in terms of geometry for a while now. My reasons were mainly for flat, smooth navigable plane that wasn't bumpy. But I guess I probably could raise the collision surface to the higher metal trim. Since there obviously isn't going to be any NPCs walking in this scene there wont be a way of noticing that collision distance. I'll have to re-import all the assets to UE4 anyway, so that'd be as good a time to change it. :thumbup: