Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creature over Jaem Kim concept

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
Hey dudes, here is my thread where i will post updates. All your critique and feedbacks here, please. Help me make this model better.
Now i m working with polishing textures in fact reflectivity and roughness to make materials more interesting. I have not work with lights and pose yet. At first i decide to finish the materials. Please halp with your feedbacks.
Here is some old highpoly shots and last marmoset scene update:
image.png
image.png
image.png

Replies

• SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of secondary reflection is better for such type of material? "newton rings" or maybe "mirror"? When i apply this effect i should tweak reflection and roghness again. :(
    Anyway i should do something with its specularity.
    Forgot to remove newton rings from black areas.
    Waiting for your ideas.
  • Ehren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehren polycounter lvl 9
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Awesome! You could maybe mix secondary reflections - newton's rings look cool on carapace-like parts and a secondary Blinn for others to get a coated, chitin-shell like layer.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, great thanks. Today will try and post here. Can I blend two materials in marmoset with mask or something? I can't find it. Anyway I can blend it in Photoshop. I want to finish textures and start posing it :)
    Any more ideas?
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A question: Did you deliberately gave the unrealistic anatomy to this creature? It is a humanoid (well, in some sense), shouldn't it also have more human anatomy base? Right now i see a lot of things that makes no sense to me, especially in arms and chest. But if you intended it like this, then i don't have much problems. Good model overall. You can look up photos of real insects to see how reflections should work, i think some sss could do nice too.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    A question: Did you deliberately gave the unrealistic anatomy to this creature? It is a humanoid (well, in some sense), shouldn't it also have more human anatomy base? Right now i see a lot of things that makes no sense to me, especially in arms and chest. But if you intended it like this, then i don't have much problems. Good model overall. You can look up photos of real insects to see how reflections should work, i think some sss could do nice too.

Yep, i did it over Jaem Kim awesome concept. It already has SSS but im afraid it can be too strong. I will try to add a bit more. Thanks, dude!
  • TomDelboo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDelboo polycounter lvl 6
    the contour from the pose and therefore the pose itself is very unreadable. Wich works against your awesome model.

so repose it and be even more awesome!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDelboo wrote: »
    the contour from the pose and therefore the pose itself is very unreadable. Wich works against your awesome model.

so repose it and be even more awesome!

I have not work with pose till i finish materials. Today evening start working with lightning and pose. Anyway agre with you. 3\4 T-pose is not good. Thanks!
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, i did it over Jaem Kim awesome concept. It already has SSS but im afraid it can be too strong. I will try to add a bit more. Thanks, dude!
    No problem. I'm not sure if it's a lighting or a spec, but you can try make it look more like this. See how strong the light is reflecting, like it's a wet or something. It's also pure white, without color (not sure about other creatures, though)
    Wallpaper_04.jpg
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem. I'm not sure if it's a lighting or a spec, but you can try make it look more like this. See how strong the light is reflecting, like it's a wet or something. It's also pure white, without color (not sure about other creatures, though)
    Wallpaper_04.jpg

Yep, its all caouse secondary reflection "newton`s rings". I decide to remove it and tweak materials using your picture as material reference. Anyway i can add this effect in photoshop.
    So here are some small results with textures. If you guys can check it and give some feedback and how to make it better it will be awesome. Now i start creating pedestal. Searching for references. It can be fallen tree or rock, i dont know.
    image.png
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my old references. I like pedestal, camera and light in Skyrim poster. Maybe i will rotate backlight lightscheme and add some plants to the rock.
    rock21.jpg
    elder_scrolls_v_skyrim.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, its all caouse secondary reflection "newton`s rings". I decide to remove it and tweak materials using your picture as material reference. Anyway i can add this effect in photoshop.
    So here are some small results with textures. If you guys can check it and give some feedback and how to make it better it will be awesome. Now i start creating pedestal. Searching for references. It can be fallen tree or rock, i dont know.
    That looks better already, in my opinion. What's the background of this creature? Is it a dungeon dweller or from dusty places or desert or a regular forest insect? That can determine some fine effects you can apply to it for a better believability. Like slime or a sand dust. Like this
    starship-troopers-1997--03.jpg
    Not sure if you need it, though. Your call.

The pedestal is also can be background specific, from a desert boulder full of brown grass to the mossy rock in a bog.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks better already, in my opinion. What's the background of this creature? Is it a dungeon dweller or from dusty places or desert or a regular forest insect? That can determine some fine effects you can apply to it for a better believability. Like slime or a sand dust. Like this
    starship-troopers-1997--03.jpg
    Not sure if you need it, though. Your call.

The pedestal is also can be background specific, from a desert boulder full of brown grass to the mossy rock in a bog.

yep, but in fact i even dont know what kin of creature is this, lol. I think its a cave\dungeon creature living near the water like crab. Hmmm... Anyway slime and dirt, maybe moss is a great advice. Thanks!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    amazing sculpt! can't wait for the final ver
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban wrote: »
    amazing sculpt! can't wait for the final ver

Thanks, dude!
    Now working with rock pedestal. Will post it as soon as finish it.