Home Technical Talk

Blender for Game Art

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EvanTideswell polycounter lvl 3
Hi all.

Im still new to game art and game development and i have been playing around with Maya and 3Ds Max and i love them, but i do not love there price.

i have been looking at blender for quite awhile now and iv been wanting to give it a go, i just want to get some feed back from other artists out there about Blender, how they feel about it, and if it can be used to create indie games and/or game assets (freelance).

and info would be nice :)

thanks

Replies

• JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    how they feel about it

Fast (hotkey based), stable (never crashes), free, not used at studios,.
    and if it can be used to create indie games and/or game assets (freelance).

Sure can, although you should still get Zbrush as it can handle 2 to 3 times as many polygons when sculpting.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Blender is great for indie work, especially at the price. It's biggest fault is import/export. This is one of the main reasons studios don't use it. It's more than adequate for building assets for your indie game, but you may have compatibility issues with freelance work.
  • JedTheKrampus
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Some versions ago Blender got built in native I/O for Autodesks FBX, with the only flaw being that it can't import its own FBX files yet (it's a known problem). Unity has native support for Blender files using Blenders own FBX export as a middleman, so there's that. It also imports and exports Collada, if that's your fancy. Do not spread information that says Blender has problems with its import/export as this is not the case any longer.

Studios do use Blender (one example where I've worked in, Ubisofts Redlynx), it's just not the most popular platform due to its reputation. Blender can sculpt just fine, but if you want do make movie-quality stuff with some nifty added tools then ZBrush is the sculpting tool you want.

There is absolutely no reason not to use Blender, the principles are the same, it outputs polygons and your assets will import just fine into any engine that has a smidgen of logic behind it without using proprietary formats (CryEngine)

Want to see what I do with Blender after this rant? Here http://skaiway.tumblr.com/
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    SkyWay wrote: »
    Do not spread information that says Blender has problems with its import/export as this is not the case any longer.

As far as I know Blender still has issues importing skeletal meshes via fbx and cannot export tangents or binormals. There is also the rotation issue when importing to Unity. This may be fixed with the new fbx scripts in 2.71.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I just updated to Blender's newest fbx exporter and I think it has options to export tangents, But there still isn't anything in there to export custom normals.

I do believe though that with 2.7 they did add an FBX importer that can import custom normals.
  • Black_Stormy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Stormy polycounter lvl 8
    I originally learnt blender just to model for games, it's perfectly capable. I have worked with source, UE3, cry3, unity and all had working (and great) tools for exporting from blender. I have been using max the past few weeks though and it is far more powerful than blender for sure, but I love blenders interface. Just get the student version of max.
  • TheColinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find that I can do box modelling amazingly fast with Blender. This is, of course, just personal preference - but I feel that menus and stuff just gets in the way. It interrupts the flow to have to look up a menu. It seems to be like that in at least Max where you have to use modifiers to a large extent. At least the version of Max I could use while in school had that.

With Blender I just keep one hand on the keyboard, and the other on the mouse, and box modelling seems to go very fast. Maybe it is just so that Blender suits my personality. However, I like it, and I can't see why it shoudn't be perfectly capable for producing models. Can't say anything about animation or texturing and such.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, should have elaborated a bit more on that. Sorry.
    Blender still has trouble with workflows that involve other 3D software, usually if something needs to be imported into Blender, but Blender > Engine or Blender > Maya, Max or Modo is perfectly fine except those custom normals which you can't even create internally in Blender. It's a known flaw with Blender, but not its I/O.
    As far as I know Blender still has issues importing skeletal meshes via fbx and cannot export tangents or binormals. There is also the rotation issue when importing to Unity. This may be fixed with the new fbx scripts in 2.71.
    Yeah, importing through fbx does have problems. It's a fairly new addition to Blender.
    Tangents and bi-normals are a blind spot for me, as Unity calculates them for me. Blenders current official release does not export these. Also this little piece of info https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/NormalMaps/Creation/index.html has me puzzled about the actual use of exporting tangents and bi-normals with current engines, I have thought of it as a Max/Maya specific need with Unreal Engine 3.
    The Unity rotation bug could be fixed by Unity, but they apparently do not give a toss. This bug is inconsistent depending on if you import the whole Blender scene hierarchy or only selected objects. Autodesks FBX viewer imports Blender FBX files correctly, so that's why I point my blame towards Unity. The bug also does not break anything, but it is an annoyance.

There is a more or less official list called "Blender Gamedev Requests/Issues" here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuS_F0ZKX-zTdGxKOEMtRmI2Tno4UUlPZzVfNXB6RHc#gid=0, do check it out if you're interested.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I've used Blender a lot over the past several years. I love the fact that its open source, but there are upsides and downsides when it comes to actual game development.

For creating assets for a portfolio or such, especially if you also use other apps like zbrush, 3dcoat, topogun etc it's nice. Its fast and pretty intuitive for modeling, which is what I use it for 90% of the time. It's also a fairly natural transition to 3ds Max if/when you want to go that. It also seems to have a decent set of tools for things like animation and rendering, though I'm not an expert in either of those areas.

However, for game dev it can fall short. I've run into pipeline issues a number of times (exporting formats, preserving data, all that good stuff), which can be crippling. 3ds max and maya tend to have a lot more support for resolving pipleline issues between them but in blender you're often left figuring things out for yourself.

Blender also lacks support for vertex normals, so unlike in Max/Maya you cannot manually edit their orientation. Its kind of unbelievable that this feature isn't in there, and it can cause problems when you want to create meshes that appear seamless whilst having separate elements. It wont be a big deal for most people but it makes me wonder what other surprises could be lurking inside that only show once you're far along a pipeline.
  • Apewall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apewall polycounter lvl 5
    I've used Maya, 3DSmax, and Blender and find that for modeling I've gravitated heavily towards blender and its completely capable for 98% of game work.
    architecht wrote:
    Blender also lacks support for vertex normals, so unlike in Max/Maya you cannot manually edit their orientation. Its kind of unbelievable that this feature isn't in there, and it can cause problems when you want to create meshes that appear seamless whilst having separate elements. It wont be a big deal for most people but it makes me wonder what other surprises could be lurking inside that only show once you're far along a pipeline.
    Vertex Normal editing has been in blender now for quite some time. So not sure what feature you're talking about that is still missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceNkQ6UNn1I
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just seconding what everyone has said, it's awesome for most everything except for custom normals. Which someone had made a nice addon for not too long ago, shortly before disappearing :poly141:
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Apewall wrote: »
    I've used Maya, 3DSmax, and Blender and find that for modeling I've gravitated heavily towards blender and its completely capable for 98% of game work.

Vertex Normal editing has been in blender now for quite some time. So not sure what feature you're talking about that is still missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceNkQ6UNn1I

Even though there are plugins that allow the editing of custom normals, that's render totally useless because Blender lacks the ability to export those custom normals. That's the problem I ran into. Blender's exporters recalculate normals on export.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Custom normals are still not in Blenders main revision, but it's a feature that's being worked on. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/Foundation/Split_Vertex_Normals#Tangent_data

I do apologize for being quite gung-ho about this topic :poly142:
  • EvanTideswell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok wow thanks for all the info guys :) so then would you guys say that Maya LT would be a better option as the price is alot better than Maya or 3Ds Max, up till the point that i can buy 3ds max and as to what Black_Stormy about getting an education licence, i do have one, but cant sell assets and all that with a education licence.
  • Ponk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ponk polycounter lvl 8
    Studios DO work on blender. My studio, Qubic Games, use blender as main 3D app. Also I'm 100% assured that Polish studios like: Techland, 11Bit, Evermotion use Blender for some tasks. Info from guys I know. Even company like Platige Image has one guy who use blender wherever he can. :)

Full Maya have some advantages over blender but Maya LT has none except proper FBX export and ShaderFX. Imho Maya LT is not worth money they ask for if you compare features to Blender.

Custom vertex normal edit/export/import will be in blender in couple of months. Bastien Montagne is working on it now.
    Import/Export issues apply almost only to FBX whitch is closed, undocumented proprietary file format owned by Autodesk. Although blender guys are working on it and in few months we will be able to use it properly.
    Check this site for updates and test builds: http://mont29.wordpress.com/tag/fbx/
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    What other artists said is true and this is my little game experience I'm getting in these days.
    I'm using Blender since 2.49 and I only can say that they improving it more than other 3d applications.
    I'm working to a game project, waiting to go on with vfx career, and Blender does its job perfectly for our indie project, and just to let you know, I'm using for texturing Krita, another open source 2d application which I would suggest to everyone.

What I read from your post is the reason I'm writing you: if you are thinking a game career, forget Blender, do a search about the company you'd like to work in and try to know if they use Maya or Max.
    I'm sure that if you want to be a freelancer, you should think more of Maya or Max, because they are standard and clients like the standard, well, they like the applications they use, of course, especially if they want the project files when job ends.
    Instead, if you are thinking of a personal/indie project, go with Blender 100%! It's free, it has a big community, there are a lot of tutorials, both free and with fee.
    Did I say it's free? Because as indie, you should take low every expense, right? And licenses are very expensive, especially if you're just starting your company/team.
    We are lucky that we can use powerful game engines (Unity, UDK...) for free, so why don't go on with the same philosophy? :poly121:
    Anyway, try every program you can and go on with the one fits best for you, you'll get better only with time, day after day, and remember you make the difference, not the tool, and no tool is 100% perfect (ok, zen mode off).

But, please, learn Blender, also the basics are good, because, despite the fact you're using Windows or Linux, you're at your computer or at friend's one (Blender comes in portable way too, so no installation required), you could grab a copy and save the day!
    Even when I was using the powerful Houdini, Blender saved my A! :)

P.S. Blender has its own and original orientation system and when importing in Unity, things are rotate -90° on X axis and programmers hate that!
    So I wrote this little script, it a huge WIP, but I tested and it works for me, so use it at your own risk.
    Just create a new script and paste it, then select the objects you want to export, it will delete the unnecessary objects, fix the selected ones, save the file directly in the Unity project folder (indicate where, please), then it will reload the original file. Unity will update its content: if you drag asset in viewport, they will be rotated, of course, it sees they are from a blend file, then just put x = 0 and they should be ok. If you repeat the process, most probably you'll have a backup blender file in the project folder next to the blender file: just delete it! :)
    Two issues: folder has to exist, so create it in advance; it works only with no hierarchy object, I mean, it'll fix rotation for every object despite they are parents/children, while I noticed only topmost parents have to be fixed, I'm sorry for that, I'm working on it.
    import bpy
    import os

# path and filename of the actual file
    actualBlendFile = os.path.dirname(__file__)

# save the actual file
    bpy.ops.wm.save_mainfile(filepath=actualBlendFile,check_existing=True)

# project path where to export the blend file
    unityBlendFile = "D:\\projects\\blahblah\\Unity\\Assets\\name.blend"

# delete all the unnecessary objects
    for obj in bpy.data.objects:
        if not(obj.select):
            bpy.data.scenes[0].objects.unlink(obj)
            bpy.data.objects.remove(obj)
        else:
            obj.select = False

# for every object to export to unity
    for obj in bpy.data.objects:
        # select
        obj.select = True

# sit on 0 0 0
        bpy.ops.object.location_clear()

# rotate x -90
        bpy.ops.transform.rotate(value=-1.5708, axis=(1, 0, 0), constraint_axis=(True, False, False), constraint_orientation='GLOBAL', mirror=False, proportional='DISABLED', proportional_edit_falloff='SMOOTH', proportional_size=1)

# freeze rotation
        bpy.ops.object.transform_apply(location=False, rotation=True, scale=False)

# deselect
        obj.select = False

# save the file inside Unity project folder
    bpy.ops.wm.save_mainfile(filepath=unityBlendFile,check_existing=True)

# open the original blend file
    bpy.ops.wm.open_mainfile(filepath=actualBlendFile)

• EvanTideswell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @thinkinmonkey for ur advice :) i do want to get max but i dont have the funds right now to get it and i cant use my education license to make some money to buy it thats why im looking at the option of blender till i make some money and can buy it :)
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I've started using Blender about 1 1/2 years ago (as I started doing 3D) and I think it's a good tool. But as I've been working in a team I had some problems due to the fact that blender wasn't capable of importing FBX.

So like everyone said... For indies it's a great choice since it's free and a great tool but for working in the industrie (or freelancing) it might be hard to use. So I have to learn either max or maya myself soon. Argh.
  • spiderspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is ridiculous, a ton of studios use Blender "secretly" because it is not their main 3D app that they create tools for. However you can do everything you need in Blender and then export it to your main 3D app which usually is Maya or 3Ds studio max.

In the end you need to understand the basics of your companies main 3D app which can be what ever but you can work in what ever suits you. You should definitely be able to work all three softwares in my opinion.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    iam using blender at work and if iam finished modeling export it to maya only to export it from there to the fileformat i need :P

hands down, blender is a gazillion times faster than maya if it comes to modelling

i only wish they could include vertexnormal editing... and a better viewport performance... and...

well, its not perfect, but i like it and i can wait for this !