Home Featured Artwork

Business Lobby Environment

Replies

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    duuuude,your awesome! love the contrast and quality of everything.
  • jdvi
    Offline / Send Message
    jdvi polycounter lvl 6
    ^^ I'm a month late, but thanks Cheathem.

Hey again, I got around to making my video. So much for a "quick-flythrough". :)

I got off on a tangent making different post-process effects and whatnot. On that note, thanks to Vailias for all the useful UDK-related posts he's made on here.

Anyway the video is only about a minute, but I hope you enjoy it.

[vv]58028298[/vv]

For some reason I became really fixated on making the clock actually work, so the numbers tick and sync up with the bars. It took me way too long to figure it out, but it does in fact work.

Here's a look at the material setup. I'm sure there's a better way, but maybe someone will figure out something useful to do with it.

propsclocknetwork.jpg
    propsclockfunc.jpg

And here's one last set of screenshots. Thanks to everyone again for the feedback, it definitely made me work harder. On to the next thing. :)

tgoverlook2f.jpg
    tgoffice2f02.jpg
    tgoffice2f01.jpg
    tgoffice1f.jpg
    tgelevators.jpg
    tgcouches.jpg
    tgconference2f.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I really love this especially for two reasons. The first being your material definition, those carpets and sofas man!

Also I really love your set dressing. In that fourth shot that office still feels clean but lived in! Great work!
  • MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    This is very inspirational, great work!
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really dislike the people blurs in the video, it's distracting and makes it harder for people's eyes to rest on details, its fine for stills.
  • Perlinfalcon
    Offline / Send Message
    Perlinfalcon polycounter lvl 5
    Just have to say I love this work so much! You don't see a lot of things on this forum that are done in this clean, modern style. It takes a lot of great material knowledge to really pull it off like you have. I am especially stunned by your interior design and industrial design skills!
  • mbischof
    Great work; love the scale of everything - feels very believable.
  • BTolputt
    Very, very nice work. The scale of everything works together and the lighting seems like something out of a arch-viz piece promoting said office design. Well done.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I love the computer rooms, they are so clear and consistent. I also love how you made that clock functional if anything that's my favorite part. Also +1 for doing something that's clean not saying that grunge and stuff is bad/overused but for the most part people don't touch clean stuff too much
  • erik!
  • jdvi
    Offline / Send Message
    jdvi polycounter lvl 6
    SaferDan - I thought about taking the "lived-in" aspect further with wear/dirt decals, but I eventually settled for something closer to a promotional-shoot look.

MartinH - Cool, glad to hear it!

ZacD - Fair point. Also, in the video the motion-blurs clearly clip through objects a couple times. Juuust enough to really annoy me, so I understamd your feeling.

Perlinfalcon - Thanks! I think grunge just leads to better eye-candy for real-time stuff at the moment, plus it's more believable. I think there was a thread about this in General Discussion recently.

mbischof - I find it to be true that you have to exaggerate the scale of things slightly in games or else they seem tiny. Lots of the props were scaled up 25% after I tried using realistic dimensions and it didn't look right.

BTolputt - I appreciate the kind words, thanks.

maximumsproductions - Haha, I'm glad someone liked the clock. Getting it to work was like some sort of brain-teaser where I couldn't rest until I figured it out. If I were more technical, I wouldn't have spent so long on it.

erik! - hey thanks! :)

Hey again, I wanted to bump the thread with a short self-assessment. I think it takes a while before you can look at your own work with any kind of detachment, but since the problems are still on my mind I wanted to lay it out there.

Good
    - Stayed pretty close to the original BSP block-out.
    - Was able to define most of the layout with modular pieces.
    - Took advantage of material instancing for tweaking.
    - Documented progress with screenshots (see: animated gifs on page 2).
    - Was able to reuse base textures across multiple materials.
    - Added a bit of animation for the video so things seem less static.
    - Achieved the overall "mood" originally envisioned.

Bad
    - Should have bumped the thread with updates more often (!!!).
    - Made a couple props that didn't respect the grid early on, leading to gaps and wonky-scaling.
    - Didn't nail down a list of required materials, so time was wasted developing materials I didn't use.
    - Spent a lot of time searching for a satisfactory lighting style and honing the overall color palette
    - Spent much more time designing some of the props rather than creating them.
    - Some of the interiors are a bit too boxy.
    - Lighting seams in a couple areas of visual interest.
    - Could have broken up some of the texture tiling more.

I could have knocked out a few of these problems with a stronger concept early on. Need to brush up on those concept art skills. :)
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    mind explosion Great Work!
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    You should re-think some of your camera choices. Putting three right-spinning cameras back to back to back can make the end user dizzy. Generally for architecture animations, even if your camera is static you want to add at least a little zoom in/out to it to help give motion and life to your scene.
  • HuzZz
    Offline / Send Message
    HuzZz polycounter lvl 4
    Fantastic work! could you possibly upload the clock shader itself? :)
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    I can only wonder... how the concrete column on an upper floor walkway is all by itself :D
    Near the end of the video on the left of the screen.
    Other than that I can't find any fault, just a couple of disagreements not worth pointing out.
  • jdvi
    Offline / Send Message
    jdvi polycounter lvl 6
    HuzZz - I was gonna let the thread die, but since you asked: Here's all the clock assets, saved from the July 2012 UDK. Now you can see how lazy the model is for yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zkhchtm4ajmnsc/JDVI_UDK_Radial_Clock.rar

dudealan2001 - Thank you :)

VelvetElvis - The spinning shots might have been less disorienting with a higher FOV and a slower rotation speed. I'll keep your advice in mind for future videos.

King Mango - There's more than one column on each level, but maybe it just looks that way in the video. I'm sure an architect or engineer would scold me for the floor plan.

By the way, being featured on the forum banner was a really nice surprise. Definitely motivation for the next environment. Hope to have a thread up soon.
  • b3dsign
    Very good, I must study hard to reach this level.
  • SeveredSon
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredSon triangle
    Awesome work. I'd like to see a texture breakdown of how you did your decals. Did you put them all on one sheet or did you create different textures for each part i.e. straight, curve, arrow, etc.?
  • Polynaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    I really dig the plants-on-a-wall element (maybe elaborate on some more plant variations) as well as the interior props you've modeled so far (chair, surv.-cam, etc.) and that procedural looking architecture in the lobby. How did you make that?
    The lighting feels a little flat though - about to change
  • GailG
    It's really nice to see everything in business is in progress. :D
  • Jaromir
    great progress on lighting, elevators and lobby both looking awesome!
    I agree with Quickel: blue-ish shadow tint would be nice, I guess skylight should be the way to do it while keeping other lights intact, not sure though ... easier said than done, maybe subtle postprocess is faster way.
    (btw haven't they used 3rd party software to bake lightmaps in Mirrors Edge?)
  • jdvi
    Offline / Send Message
    jdvi polycounter lvl 6
    b3dsign - Thanks! We should all study hard. :)

SeveredSon - Yeah, I used a texture for the corners and the labels. For the straight parts, I didn't use a texture so I just typed in a width for the decal actor.

At first I tried to put unique textures into each RGB channel, but I found that if the textures overlap across channels then it can cause some bad compression artifacts. So if I had overlapping textures, I would just separate them into RGB and the Alpha channel.

decaleditor.jpg

Here's a look at the translucent decal material:

decalinstance.jpg
    decalnetwork.jpg

Polynaught - Well, you're gonna be disappointed with future updates since I'm not working on it anymore. :) Some of your suggestions came up earlier in the thread, and I agree that the lighting is/was a weak point overall.

If you were asking about the triangular piece with the windows, I just pushed and pulled some vertices around until I found a shape I liked. The metal frame is a separate piece. To make the frame, I chamfered the edges and extruded the resulting quads after some clean-up. The hardest part was making the UVs, really.

Once I brought it into Unreal, I scaled up its profile to exaggerate it a bit and try to make it look like it's watching/peering over the lobby area.

GailG - Yeah, maybe there's too much activity for believability, but what the hell, whatever looks cool.
  • jdvi
    Offline / Send Message
    jdvi polycounter lvl 6
    Whoop, I forgot to include you but I don't see the edit button anywhere!
    Jaromir wrote: »
    great progress on lighting, elevators and lobby both looking awesome!
    I agree with Quickel: blue-ish shadow tint would be nice, I guess skylight should be the way to do it while keeping other lights intact, not sure though ... easier said than done, maybe subtle postprocess is faster way.
    (btw haven't they used 3rd party software to bake lightmaps in Mirrors Edge?)

As they say, art is never finished, only abandoned. But yeah, I switched the dominant light for a moveable dominant light so I could animate it and the lighting was not as nice.

Also, I believe Beast was the lighting editor for ME. Don't know much about it, myself.
  • Jaromir
    as for post process solution: for those of you who prefer photoshop adjustment layers, this is an fast and easy way of taking your color adjustment from PS into UDK using lookup tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g6kyZ7kRPs&feature=player_embedded

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ColorGrading.html

It might be helpful in scenes similar to this awesome one, pushing mid tones/shadows colors right where you want it.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • vahid67
    nice work
    thank you
  • SeveredSon
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredSon triangle
    Hey jdvi. thanks for the breakdown of how you did your floor decals!
  • ElectroNugget
    I would totally play a game of Counter Strike in this office. :D
  • GouthamRoshan
    wow awesome work
    but looks little artificial.............
  • leoardoaraujo.santos
    It's really nice but seems to futurist.
  • Ootrick
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Very impressive! Large scale environments can be very daunting. I would love to see where you started with materials, I'm still getting used the UDK material nodes, if you have any references you've learned from and like to share that would be awesome!
  • pewellnconnor
    Great work!!! You should start designing more of this. You can sell this to offices.
  • sukadiki
    Some amazing designs there. Keep adding
  • bbdang123
    great job!I like your lighting !
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    the latest pics are awesome - with a nice amount of depth, contrast, readablility

especially "overlook5.jpg" looks really great!
  • CalQdeX
    Great design. I can feel the cold business AC blasting!
  • Alan brad
    WOW Nice building!Its really very nice to business environment!
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Kinda reminds me of some of my favourite Goldeneye levels, although this would be one hell of a level if it was in Goldeneye, really great stuff. I just want to shoot the chairs and watch them explode.
  • andycain
    I love this. Reminds me of a car dealership on the ground floor for some reason. Some high end company like BMW. Imagine a bright orange 1 series parked in the main lobby area ;) Loving your work. Inspirational.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Very cool project. Reminds me of some arch vis renderings I recently did:
    51%20Astor%20Pl-View%20B-06.jpg
    51%20Astor%20Pl-View%20C-05.jpg
    51%20Astor%20Pl-View%20A-06.jpg

I have been thinking of creating something similar for a while now too, since I am more comfortable working with clean and polished stuff.
  • Taros
    jdvi wrote: »
    ^^ I'm a month late, but thanks Cheathem.

Hey again, I got around to making my video. So much for a "quick-flythrough". :)

I got off on a tangent making different post-process effects and whatnot. On that note, thanks to Vailias for all the useful UDK-related posts he's made on here.

Anyway the video is only about a minute, but I hope you enjoy it.

[vv]58028298[/vv]

For some reason I became really fixated on making the clock actually work, so the numbers tick and sync up with the bars. It took me way too long to figure it out, but it does in fact work.

Here's a look at the material setup. I'm sure there's a better way, but maybe someone will figure out something useful to do with it.

propsclocknetwork.jpg
    propsclockfunc.jpg

And here's one last set of screenshots. Thanks to everyone again for the feedback, it definitely made me work harder. On to the next thing. :)

tgoverlook2f.jpg
    tgoffice2f02.jpg
    tgoffice2f01.jpg
    tgoffice1f.jpg
    tgelevators.jpg
    tgcouches.jpg
    tgconference2f.jpg
    Really great work. Like t a lot. Thank you for sharing. :thumbup: