Home General Discussion

Build a Female Character With Me?

Replies

• JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Oh my. People always find reasons to rant, or complain. If you don't like the idea, just don't apply. If you think is a generous action from a professional and great opportunity to learn, PM Hazardous. Simple like that.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I think you're awesome for doing this Hazardous and had I been further along I'd have been all over this, good luck to the guys who got accepted. Looking forward to seeing some amazing characters :)
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Actually, to be fair, this is the way art schools pick their students here in Sweden. Since there are many applicants(school is free here) they pick the ones they see the most potential in and not always the best ones.
    Will you be posting any of your progress during the process here on polycount, Hazardous?
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    haz wrote:
    1) I am looking for people who have attempted to create females, but whom I think need more aesthetic help to push their females to a new level, as this is what my course is focussing on the most.

aww feck, thats me out then, only recently had the balls to even attempt females....let alone good ones

Nitewalkr....if it helps then think of it more as a masterclass.....although your big issue appears to be that this isn't in the requests section?

as an aside, I have never seen any notice on polycount that gives an individual the entitlement to free teaching, crit,and support....these things are a bonus to being part of an epic art community with a shit ton of talent....lets not lose sight of that shall we?

If a barrier to entry exists its usually because the teaching requires a certain level of aptitude.... they dont let you spar with the grade 10's on your second muai thai class for a reason :)
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Agh it must be really hard for you to pick your candidates out of all the cool people applying. I sent you a note on deviantart.. I'm really nervous hopeful but if I don't get picked I still look forward to following this and seeing how it goes. Good luck everybody.
  • Bibendum
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Actually, to be fair, this is the way art schools pick their students here in Sweden. Since there are many applicants(school is free here) they pick the ones they see the most potential in and not always the best ones.
    This is how all education work period. We just measure it in diplomas, gpa, and sat scores elsewhere.

The point of all advanced education is to teach advanced concepts and there isn't much purpose taking on students who don't understand the basics yet or have the fundamental skills necessary to get the most benefit from whats being taught. This is why we start people off in gradeschool instead of just putting every child in college and try to teach them arithmetic and calculus at the same time...

Not all education has to or even should cater to the people on the bottom, there's literally endless resources for those people to learn from. Most of them on this site already.
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    shhhh! He's making his decision! Do not disturb the master
    :P
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
  • Tenchi
    ...also I think considering the short length of this course it would be unfeasable to take a beginner to somewhere approaching pro in that space of time. Hence the criteria.

As I said in my PM to Haz, it would be great if one day I am in a position to give back in the same way to the community as you seldom see this anywhere else.

Notifications must be imminent now surely.. o_O'
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    It wasnt about him posting this in a wrong section at all.

It was about giving a chance to those who are well aware of the tech side of modeling, constructing basic human structure before making an actual model in hi poly, than transferring the details to reconstructed low poly.

summing things up. Not giving a chance to the intermediates but professionals who are not so professionals only, Is a bit unfair. I wouldnt've said anything if I was a complete noob. Infact I wouldnt know what he stated in the original post.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    summing things up. Not giving a chance to the intermediates but professionals who are not so professionals only, Is a bit unfair.

This isn't the case at all though..
    In fact, I've spoken to Haz over the last few days and the first thing he said was that he wasn't really intending on picking lots of uber Pros, despite their interest, because they honestly wouldn't benefit from it the most.

It seems like you've filled in the blanks with your own negative preconceptions, and I don't really know why.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Nitewalkr wrote:
    It wasnt about him posting this in a wrong section at all....
    Nitewalkr wrote:
    Right now, this is just unfair because;

firstly; such threads are suppose to be under the request section of the forums,

secondly; Asking portfolios while not offering much but studying / learning how to make a female model together defeats its sole purpose. That is (LEARNING HOW TO CREATE A FEMALE CHARACTER, TOGETHER!!!)

And lastly; No one have to explain to you why should they be picked for your learning expo, since they joined this community for this very reason and you should know the answer.

If you want to have this in general, make general demands (like; must have the software that you are working with so everyone who wants to know what you are doing can follow along) and allow everyone to participate in it. Otherwise, go and request for high pros in request section.

ahhh my bad....sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You're gonna have a great team with the amount of talented people that have applied Haz :] Have a fun and successful endeavor !!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Bottom line, Hazardous is awesome and he can do wtf he wants.

This sounds like an awesome project, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Dear Hazardous,

How dare you? How DARE you? How dare you try and share the massive amounts of knowledge that you have gained on this particular subject (Including Lead work on the smash hit Rift and popular toy prints for Kingdom Death) with those less experienced. FOR FREE. Family run businesses, such as the Art Institute, offers lesser information for an ungodly cost - AND THEY DON'T EVEN REQUIRE PREREQUISITES BEFORE ENTERING THE COURSE. You come down off of your pedestal to offer this information and to encourage conversation among like minded people - while doing the work yourself - are you mad, man!? Has the Australian heat warped your mind where the reality of you giving away education for free and taking it away from mom and pop shops is a GOOD thing? Shame on you.

And - Unlike a delightful hometown school - when someone complains about your method, you actually take time to ANSWER THEM PERSONALLY? What is this, Communist Russia?

Also, why the female form? Hmm? Explain this to me. You are encouraging young men and women to follow an unrealistic, though hugely popular and successful, stereotype with their craft. Not since the glory days of Penthouse magazine have so many innocent minds been corrupted by your clear obsession of T&A (That's "tits and ass", folks.) You are a disgrace to the proverbial badge and anyone trying to walk in your awkwardly small footsteps should be ashamed of themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Yours in Christ,
    Gav
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers Gav! So sick of the entitled mindset people seem to have nowadays.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Gav wrote: »
    Dear Hazardous,

How dare you? How DARE you? How dare you try and share the massive amounts of knowledge that you have gained on this particular subject (Including Lead work on the smash hit Rift and popular toy prints for Kingdom Death) with those less experienced. FOR FREE. Family run businesses, such as the Art Institute, offers lesser information for an ungodly cost - AND THEY DON'T EVEN REQUIRE PREREQUISITES BEFORE ENTERING THE COURSE. You come down off of your pedestal to offer this information and to encourage conversation among like minded people - while doing the work yourself - are you mad, man!? Has the Australian heat warped your mind where the reality of you giving away education for free and taking it away from mom and pop shops is a GOOD thing? Shame on you.

And - Unlike a delightful hometown school - when someone complains about your method, you actually take time to ANSWER THEM PERSONALLY? What is this, Communist Russia?

Also, why the female form? Hmm? Explain this to me. You are encouraging young men and women to follow an unrealistic, though hugely popular and successful, stereotype with their craft. Not since the glory days of Penthouse magazine have so many innocent minds been corrupted by your clear obsession of T&A (That's "tits and ass", folks.) You are a disgrace to the proverbial badge and anyone trying to walk in your awkwardly small footsteps should be ashamed of themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Yours in Christ,
    Gav

bahaha xD

+10
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Rant Of awesome

My hat goes off to you sir! Not just because it's hilarious, but because it's also true with a good side of snark.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I love you Gav....be mine forever....or till the chloroform wears off at least :D
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    botchiball polycounter lvl 8
    How dare you? How DARE you?
    Gav

I loled, thanks Gav, I needed that : ).
  • dannedadon
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    Dear Hazardous,

How dare you? How DARE you?

Finally someone said what we were all thinking
  • onelunglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Dear Hazardous,

Keep up the good work.

Yours in Christ,
    Gav

riker.gif
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh snap, looks like Gav took his hat off again... :D
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Dear Hazardous,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik"]Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube[/ame]
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I know these points were already put here, but I just like to add that I can't see how a guy who's offering to share his knowledge with others could be unfair with anyone. It's his thing. So it's his right to chose who he wants to share with. It sounds like if he have obbligation to embrace all comunity, and teach everyone. But man, participate of a workshop like this is a privilege, not a right. Specialy if it's for free.

I know this was already said, and my opinion won't change anybody's mind. I simply wanted to get this off my chest :)
  • bounchfx
    This is SUCH an amazing initiative. I really hope more things like this sprout up in the future as it only has the potential to benefit everyone involved. Less greed and more sharing of knowledge is key to a healthy game art future.

Not 80k tuition.

it's also incredibly generous of Hazardous.
  • TheQiwiMan
    Offline / Send Message
    TheQiwiMan polycounter lvl 12
    Logic and reason never seem to work on over-entitled, angry people.

Gav- That was pure ecstasy. :)
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to those lucky few who were selected to participate!
  • Tigerfeet
    ablaine wrote: »
    Congrats to those lucky few who were selected to participate!

Yes! This times ten thousand :D Do we get to find out who's involved, or is that stepping too far into "these are the cooliest peeps" territory?

Either way, I'm mad curious to see where this goes and the art that gets produced!
  • Lombos
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Really wish I had seen this earlier! This is not only an awesome opportunity but this is also a really generous thing to do with your time. If you want to take a late entry feel free to take a look at my portfolio :). I'm tying to break out of the awkward phase of working part time, doing an unpaid internship, while trying to work on my portfolio, and spending time with my girlfriend...oh well maybe on the next round. Good luck to all who entered and enjoy to those selected!
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    lol Seriously?
    It really sucks when others people who are learning / have some to alot of experience and want to share the tip with the rest, asking them to show their portfolio and tell you why they want to be a part of it.

It actually makes perfect sense. He's trying to share his techniques in an advanced workflow not teach someone how to import a base mesh into Zbrush. Asking for a portfolio is the best way to see if what he is offering will be too much for someone to handle or not so beneficial due to a high level of skill / knowledge.
  • andersh
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    I hope those who learn from Hazardous go on to teach others!
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I know Hazardous has no obbligation to announce, but curiosity is greater than me... Any chance to say to us who were the lucky guys?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Agreed, looking forward to seeing the 'chosen ones' progress XD
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    goddamn man, this is a saintly thing to do. Good on ya! You stirred me out of lurking with your gallantry!

You jerks better post your progress! I wanna ride the good art vibes to get myself back onto making some sexy 3d ladies.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys and girls thanks for all the support its awesome :) !!

Sorry for the late announcement, the 5 I picked are:

Funky Bunnies
    Almighty_gir
    ybourykina
    Mr.Skullface
    DanielB

I hope everyone learns as much as I will be, cant wait to begin!! :D

Woooohooooo!
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    thank you so much for the opportunity Troy ^________________^
    can't wait to start!!!
  • Sculptaur
    Awesome. Congrats to the ones that got picked, you deserve it!

Can't wait to see what you all make!
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    gratzzz!!! to all who chosen :3 so xcited, hopefully it got well documented.
    this thread is so inspiring
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Hey guys and girls thanks for all the support its awesome :) !!

Sorry for the late announcement, the 5 I picked are:

Funky Bunnies
    Almighty_gir
    ybourykina
    Mr.Skullface
    DanielB

I hope everyone learns as much as I will be, cant wait to begin!! :D

Woooohooooo!

Awesome! Congrats guys! Can't wait to see what becomes of this!!
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Congrats for the chosen guys. We gonna try not to hate you, we promise. :)

Please let us know how things are developing. Good luck, kids.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yeah Troy, this is one helluva honor!
    thanks a ton for takin the time to teach us the ways of the sexy :D
    I'm pumped!
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Awesomeness! Lookin' forward to seeing some stunning females develop.
  • Tigerfeet
    Congratulations guys, and good luck! Can't wait to see what develops :)
  • Mrskullface
    yaaaaaaaaay! I am honored and excited!!!!!1
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    nice one guys ;) will be fun to watch
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    congratz to the winners. hope you guys share your progress so we all can apply lots of pressure to you!
    no realy, looking forward to seeing what you guys are gonna create.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm scared :S

this should be fun!
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats guys :) supper exited to see the girls:) Thanks once again for doing this Hazard!!!
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Dis gonn' be gud!
  • botchiball
    Offline / Send Message
    botchiball polycounter lvl 8
    Congrats to the chosen : ).