Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Abandoned Drill

Hi,

I've always liked UT and doing concept art, so this seemed like fun challenge. I've been sketching some ideas, trying to figure out what could work.
After couple of different images I kinda liked this drilling platform thingy I created. Now just need to develop it a bit further...

Replies

• JzeiJzei
    Here's a small update, trying to figure out what the overall look from outside could be... nice way to practise doing environments.
  • FirebornForm
    Cool concepts JzeiJzei!

I was first going to say I didn't see any drill in the 1st shot but what I do see is that it looks totally gargantuan in scale probably too big. Very well done gritty dystopian sci fi environment. Clean but has plenty of atmosphere, it looks like it's coated in grease oil or grime. Fans of old school industrial UT99 maps would be happy.

That second one is much easier to wrap my head around it as a map environment theme. I also totally see the drill this time around. Good overall utilitarian designs and the touch of graffiti is some nice attention to detail.

Keep going!
  • JzeiJzei
    I understand what you mean with the scale and layout FirebornForm. It's kinda hard to convey the whole idea in a one picture (atleast for me). Not really that good in level design, just trying to visualize the overall idea. Maybe I should try doing one of those blockouts at some point. Anyway, I did a painting to capture the feel for the main area of the map.
  • FirebornForm
    I really like the design of your indoors the being able to see all the way down the structure through the glass is cool and this definitely looks like it fits exactly into UTs industrial corridor heavy maps like DM-Grinder

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WSt5KLvcZ4"]Unreal Tournament '99 ? Skilled ? No Deaths ? DM: Grinder - YouTube[/ame]

Just something to watch out for. Your perspective is majorly off in your indoor shot, both of the outdoor shots are great and I cant find any issues with them, but... the indoors is a little broken right now and that's killing the believability of the art. Try checking out Epic's perspective tool Carapace and see if you can fix it.

http://epicgames.com/community/2012/11/free-art-tool-released-thanks-to-epic-friday/
  • JzeiJzei
    Thanks for the comments, FirebornForm. Indeed the perspective seemed a little off, even though I didn't mean everything to line up on the grid. Should have planned the viewing angle and composition a bit better, so I could fit the floor windows there and preferably on the grid.

I decided to do a drawing based on one of the 3D blockouts. I think I'll drop the outdoors shot, since it's probably not that necessary and the design is a bit off. Next I'll finish the final submission and fix some of the mistakes etc.
  • FirebornForm
    It's funny how every new version you do the cleaner the area gets and loses the abandoned look, your newest paint over for instance looks like a fully functioning facility still in use.

The older ones looked like it's fallen into decay with signs of wear and no one bothering to take care of it. (Oily water spill on the last inside shot for example, the grimy yellow stained windows and the discolored spots all over the walls great atmospheric touches.) Compare that to your new paint over where it looks like someone did some serious spring cleaning, just look at how shiny that gray wall is! Really solid rendering but I think you've drifted from your idea of an abandoned facility, of course that's entirely up to you.

Regarding the previous inside shot, I think there's a few lines that throw it off but one culprit is how you used 3 point perspective on the glass bottom but no where else, which leaves the image looking really weird. Maybe if you continued the 3point perspective up the rest of the image it would look "Fixed".

It would probably be a good test for everyone to do a paint over of Epic's shots. Though it's too late on the deadline for the contest, the kind of modular consistent theme you have going on in different "rooms" is really proof of concept.

I'd miss the outside shot but I agree with you consistency wise it doesn't really seem to fit with the indoor shots. We're only allowed to do 3 pictures per theme but maybe you can squeeze a little more into the contest submission via something like this.
    HTV wrote: »
    Can we submit 3 variations of the same theme and shopw wips in the same WIP thread?

For example, I'm doing a fish market theme but now I have two more fish market designs in mind. They share similarities (island and boat tunnels) but also differences (one is enclosed, another has a more spread out layout).

Just checking.

Sure, I don't see why not. When you submit, you'll probably have t make 3 separate submissions but using the same WIP thread for all 3 should be fine if they're all closely related to each other.

- Warren @ Epic

Since the outdoors and indoors are pretty different, it could qualify as a different theme submission. Epic started this contest to get a bunch of different ideas from the community, one more idea couldnt hurt ;)