Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge September 2013 (11)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge September 2013 (11)!

Join our Skype group too if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.

You don't have to join the skype if you don't want to though, you don't need to ask to participate or anything, just start doing it and post in this thread!

This month's concept.
2wiCtFk.jpg
Concept by Simon Kopp

While this is handpainted, feel free to approach this however you like, if you want to sculpt it, go for it. It's up to you, as long as you are learning then it doesn't matter right?

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers,
if you only want to do a few props as best you can, go for it! This way you can work on building up to a full scene.

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

When you are just starting out making a scene can seem complicated or imposing, so break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible plan it out, a lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some refs as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.
Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:
Try to do one crit for every post you make, this will make for a better learning environment and help us grow as artists.

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used, but feel free to use any.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Feel free to join in our community run challenges!

Replies

• konraden
    Offline / Send Message
    konraden polycounter lvl 8
    Cant wait to get started!

I think Im going do to this one in reverse from what I did the last month.
    Blockout - > udk -> finish lighting -> start making props - > textures -> shaders - > tweak light.

Depending on how I feel when I get to that part Im thinking of doing this one in a Id software - Rage artstyle / Borderlands 2. Depends on how much time I hope to get to spend on it.
  • Silver Spade
    Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge August 2013 (10)!

Correction that it should be September 2013.

I will most likely try to model it first in Maya, and experiment with textures in Photoshop. Though as I said in the previous thread, I am still quite new to this, so it's quite the learning process.

Though, I am uncertain as to "how" to apply these in UDK or Cryengine SDK. Should be fun to learn.

I will most likely to start working on it 3 days from now (September 4, 2013. GMT +8 ) due to classes and exams (though I might find time to have fun doing this). :)
  • shosh
    The whole scene modeled will be posted in a couple of hours :D. Have fun guys!
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    I blocked out and started making the assets for the scene. Just getting the walls done for now. For the BSP blockout, I went with with a main unit of 256, so that means my room is 768 units wide and 1024 long, without counting the stairs. I based these calculation off of a 3x3 grid floor tile. Hope these help other folks get started.

wWY8cWR.jpg
  • Vysuki
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    I thought I'd have a crack at this one, started on my blockout:

untitled_3_by_vysuki-d6kkics.jpg

Some parts I've got to adjust, heading off to sort that mini door on the back
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    I think I'll get involved in this one too, in my efforts to learn both Maya and Zbrush better. This would be cinch for me to block out in Max since I've been using it for years, but need to learn how to use Maya soon and what better way than a challenge and deadline? Please forgive any noob mistakes and feel free to tell me how to do things better, as I've only started learning Maya like, 2 weekends ago. Will post my blockout soon, good luck everyone! :)
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    electronic-fox polycounter lvl 8
    I'll be doing this one (albeit a few days later, got a big influx of work recently), I wanna learn my way around enviro modelling and step up my game with modular texturing.
  • Endzeit
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Started my block out as well.
    cKmBSvD.jpg
  • M.Petersen
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
    First time participating on a monthly noob challenge!

so far I've made a blockout and a breakdown:

EUDnyMP.jpg
    oP7GSi0.jpg
  • Dawars
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawars polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the breakdown I think it'll help me.

I'm the first time here too.
    I started with props like table, bottle, etc and I made a really basic blockout in udk.

This is my first hand painted textures so I'd be happy to get some advice (I have a Bamboo tablet):
    VJGbIGp.png
  • monkeymintaka
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    This is the fist time I've been free for this challenge, so I'm looking forward to it :) I did a breakdown of geometry and textures.

I thought there would be more modular pieces, but looking at the concept it seems easier to make some things one model, like the walls and the bar, and most of the modular stuff will be with textures. Not sure what everyone is thinking about tackling the modular aspect though?

MN11_models.jpg

And for the textures...
    It looks like a lot of wood! Apart from the floorboard type wood, I was going to make a tileable "soft wood" with less grain detail and see how that fits the objects. Then for the bar, table etc make unique wood textures for each, because they are pretty interesting models.

MN11_textures.jpg

Everyones blockouts are looking good, I'm going to start mine tonight. Maybe. :)
  • Silver Spade
    Somehow I need to practice more on the idea of making a sort of "plan", or highlighting certain parts for future reference like the reply above me.

So far I find the blockouts are both interesting, as they are motivating.
  • Silver Spade
    SeptemberMNCPhoto001.jpg
    SeptemberMNCPhoto002.jpg

First attempt at blocking for this blocking bit. Although, what would normally be the "next thing" to do? (since in my head, I think of adding more detail and adjusting certain parts to fit properly, since I can be quite obsessive compulsive about the smallest details, sometimes).

The floor is supposedly divided into a number of squares for each tile (2x2 squares = 1 tile, refer to provided concept art photo), and is usually the basis of my measurement (though I got lost in some parts, hence some probably misshaped parts).

And I forgot the pipes.

Though my apologies if I do not criticize certain parts yet as it might be too soon for any (but if ever I have to...)

@Endzeit - It might be a little wide. But aside from that, it's good so far. :)
  • YodadaJew
    Blockout so far, i have to flip the normals of the bend in the back but thats its for now.zacFYL7.png
  • redhonour
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome plans!

I think I'll be different and spend this week planning. In the last challenge, the things that I had the most problems with/consumed the most time were elements I didn't account for initially. Here's hoping for a better turnaround!
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    I have been checking these out for the last few months, and I think I am going to give this one a shot. Here is what I got blocked out today. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.
  • CreativeHD
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my very basic block out, I am just trying to get a feel for how UDK works right now. I will probably redo the block out in Maya later. I look forward to seeing other people's progress!

2qxq5w3.jpg
  • Elzy
    Hey all,

Looking good so far people, I'm impressed at how fast you all work :D

Unfortunately I couldn't sit down and get started till later in the day due to ordered to do the garden followed by a visit by the old lady but here we go.

About half way done on the block out, with some minor details just to make sure the scaling is good.

HalfBlockedScreenshot_zpsc9fe273a.jpg

The characters are 175cm tall, I based my initial scaling on the tiling on the floor and the chair things. Some bit def need tweaking but overall happy so far.

Critiques more than welcome, would love some feedback on stuff I may of missed or done totally wrong so far.

Cheers
  • M.Petersen
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
    Nice to see so many people are already joining in!

I've just finished my floortiles texture.

27MB3wD.jpg

FBpLNeh.png
  • Hunter0626
    Dawars wrote: »
    Thank you for the breakdown I think it'll help me.

I'm the first time here too.
    I started with props like table, bottle, etc and I made a really basic blockout in udk.

This is my first hand painted textures so I'd be happy to get some advice (I have a Bamboo tablet):
    VJGbIGp.png

For it being your first time hand painting you did a good job. The bottle is too low poly because it's a cylindrical shape and it will start to facet with insufficient polys to give it enough of a round curve. I would suggest modeling a high poly bottle which you create normal maps to give the effect of more detail. As for the actual painting it can use more of a dirty feel to the bottle and label especially, given that it is handled by hands and will collect dust and such. Really great start so far :)
  • baratation
    Offline / Send Message
    baratation polycounter lvl 9
    14c9100.png

Starting my blockout on this lovely sunday night, i´ve never done this before so, wish me luck.

Really digging your floor texture Mr.Petersen
  • Undead Pixel
    My first attempt in a Monthly Noob Challenge ! Here is my 3D blockout :

a709b4be-b0d1-47ab-b99c-568d5d618142.jpg

A question has popped in my head while doing the blockout : is it better to use some BSP in UDK to create the floor and walls, or since it is only for visual it doesn't really matter ?
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    Rdso6qu.jpg
    half blocked out, I'm doing some textures as I go along.

@Dawars - I think you'd benefit from using a softer brush on your glass and trying to paint smoother gradients. The neck could probably be a lot shorter and I'd like to see a darker brown for the cork, though that might just be me.
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    I started my go at this today.

1.JPG

The normals and tectures are placeholders for now, to give a better idea of the fina scene. Still trying to work out the best way to go about laying out the textures
  • DillonJ93
    I'm so glad this concept was chosen. This is my first time on the monthly noob challenge, so hello all! I'm going to try to go for some really stylized sculpting in ZBrush. Here's my rough block-out in maya:

blockmesh.png

And here's my photoshop breakdown, highlighting modular geometry and noting down the unique items (quite a few!).

NoobChallenge.png

Just wondering, how are you all handling the tiles? I was thinking one piece of geometry since there's a few really unique pieces.

Critique: Endzeit, I think your floor plan might be a little too wide, but it's looking great! It might be worth it to try measuring the scene by the tiles, everything seems to line up pretty well.

And Wade WT,I can already tell you're going to have an awesome hand-painted scene (if that's what you're going for), can't wait to see more!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Oh well...

This is quite cool and I feel honored that you picked my concept for this. I really like supporting beginners and even if its just giving out a concept of mine for training its a good thing. I really look forward to how all of you guys read my concept and turn it into 3d.

But please add my name as artist for this piece and ask for permission to use it beforehand! Its a no go to post someone elses work without any word about who created it. If you can't find it, don't use it!

I have sent you a PM to this, so don't be bothered guys, I just wanted to get that out to you!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    as soon as you guys are done, we will present our testcase 3d scenario with this, we have a little demo where you can walk around in there and interact very rudimentary with the environment
  • redhonour
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    You guys didn't get asked?! That's terrible!

I'll make darn sure everyone who sees my final scene knows of the amazing artists behind it.

Thanks for letting us use your concept after the fact, and I hope as a community of artists we can endeavor to be a little more responsible with our choices.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I mentioned during a previous concept thread that listing names was kind of a must. But this was ignored completely.

Not cool.

Awesome concept. Nice Block-out's.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    These days with reverse image search, its pretty easy to find out who is the author of a particular piece of concept art.

However the way the MNC is setup there isn't really any time between when voting for a piece ends, and when the thread is started. I think at the very least credit for a concept, along with any accompanying links should be put at the beginning of the thread.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Exactly.

I'm pretty sure that the opening intro has just been copied and pasted from the last month's thread as it states the current thread as August's (10)...

But your completely correct. Stating it within the intro is kind of standard practice. Then everyone can list it alongside their work's titles..
  • Hunter0626
    Just to clarify and make sure, I had to double check a hunch I just had. Simon, your work is amazing, and I would feel all too offended if my own work were not recognized either. I believed I saw your name and indeed I did, however it is not exactly easily seen. They tagged you right under the concept and linked it to your web page in the intro at the beginning of this thread. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew it was there.
    It really is an amazing concept, and I can't wait to see what transpires from it. :)
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    Well no wonder the concept is so awesome, it's an Airborn piece!

I'm really glad one of the concept owners finally spoke up about this.... I've seen people bring it up a bunch of times in the concept threads, but now that one of the artists chimed in, hopefully every image will be credited from now on. Thanks Airborn, for letting us do this, because it's a really great image!

Glad this was chosen, think I'm gonna try it!
  • Silver Spade
    Would anyone out there have a sort of tutorial/s for the following?:
    - Making custom textures (namely for the floor tiles, walls, pipes and such)
    - Transition from Maya (and other software) into UDK or CryEngine SDK
    - Anything that might help with regards to this monthly noob challenge

Though I will go through the internet for the tutorials, I would appreciate it if ever some of you would share their findings. And I will do so as well, as this is after all a learning experience, so I would think.

I am grateful for any help given, and I will return what I find.

Though do warn me if ever this isn't allowed.
  • jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Would anyone out there have a sort of tutorial/s for the following?:
    - Making custom textures (namely for the floor tiles, walls, pipes and such)
    - Transition from Maya (and other software) into UDK or CryEngine SDK
    - Anything that might help with regards to this monthly noob challenge

Though I will go through the internet for the tutorials, I would appreciate it if ever some of you would share their findings. And I will do so as well, as this is after all a learning experience, so I would think.

I am grateful for any help given, and I will return what I find.

Though do warn me if ever this isn't allowed.

Hopefully ill have time to do this challenge, need to try environment art at some point...

Anyway the pipeline to UDK is relatively simple and theres a lot of tutorials that cover it, without searching i know eat3d have some awesome tutorials for UDK, one of the better ones has stuff about particles lighting materials etc. great for starting, also this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/WebHome.html . Theres also loads of tutorials on places like digital tutors and even youtube of people making tileables, i would do a quick youtube search for some. Since this is gonna mostly be a hand painting environment i would look up the 3d motive tutorial on hand painting, i think its a weapon but it teaches you how to paint lighting and stuff into your texture, which may or may not be useful. im unsure about cryengine as i haven't used it but i would check their documentation, youtube and places like eat3d, 3d motive etc for some tutorials.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    So I think I'll take a crack at this one.

I have altered the main layout slightly, and added a sort of back room/kitchen, where I think that window next to the bar may go to. I figure with making a bunch of cool tileables, that I might as well design it in such a way that I can throw a roof on it, and down the line be able to create a bunch of other buildings to make up a larger environment.

SW8rGoy.jpg

While I may have gotten ahead of myself, I'll keep it so that I can present the concept area only if need be.
  • monkeymintaka
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    Stopped procrastinating enough to do a blockout. I think the stairs area will need tweaking though. I think I will focus on refining the models first, importing into UDK and lighting before I start texturing.

blocking.jpg

@silver spade: I learnt UDK a couple months ago with the 3D buzz tutorials on the UDN website. They are really easy to follow, and the UDN wiki that jfeez mentioned is awesome, it has everything on it.

@acapulco & Neox: Thanks for the use of the awesome concept guys, I agree you should have been asked before! But I will def credit you :)
  • Endzeit
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Refined my blockout.

IC4mNFW.png
  • ripper351
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    I started my go at this today.

1.JPG

The normals and tectures are placeholders for now, to give a better idea of the fina scene. Still trying to work out the best way to go about laying out the textures

How did you make the textures on the floor in vieport 2.0? Was it a bump map?
  • Dark Acre Jack
    Hey all, figured I'd give this a shot.

Using Max '14 for the modeling, will end up plopping it into Unity3D for the final (assuming we get there).

The blockout so far:
    sep13noobBO.jpg

Cheers.
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 wrote: »
    How did you make the textures on the floor in vieport 2.0? Was it a bump map?

I baked out a normal map and AO map from a quick sculpt in Zbrush, used the AO map as a texture.

I tend to start working in B&W since my colour perceptions are way off, and some quick AO bakes help me a lot.
  • Twotents
    Offline / Send Message
    Twotents polycounter lvl 4
    Hello everyone, this is my first noob challenge I'm joining in on!

Here's my block out.

Love the work coming out so far keep up the good work everyone!
  • BasicallyNormal
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    So this is what I have so far. Got a bunch of the high polys modeled, still have some elements missing (like the pipes and the window) or roughly blocked out. I cheated a bit and created a new camera, and set the angle of view to about 100 so it could better fit the concept's perspective.

Going to work on this when I can in between some school projects, but if you got any crits let me know :)

screengrab1.png
  • modebloggen
    Offline / Send Message
    modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
    Here's my blockout as it stands right now. Think I got most of the proportions right, the square floor tiles helped quite a lot with this phase. Aiming to get a couple of high polys done by today

laPXCLh.jpg
  • cptnight00
    Hi all, I am new to poly count and this will be my first monthly challenge.

Great to see all the awesome work already :)
  • Silver Spade
    @jfeez
    @monkeymintaka

Thank you for the tips and advise for any possible tutorials.

Though at the moment, I'm looking for tutorials with regards to making the floor textures (though I also learned some textures could be made in ZBrush, which I am yet to acquire and install, for the learning process).

Though to be nice, I am supposed to criticize on other people's works, though my apologies if my crits aren't soo good.

@BasicallyNormal - How were you able to make the textures on the floor and the barrels? (I'm still relatively noob-ish, so some details would be nice, if that's alright with you)

@m4dcow - nice detail, nice looking house, making it feel complete. xD Though it looks rather wide (I think, though, I could be wrong).

@monkeymintaka (again) - that's a nice looking setup, I'm liking the detail on the pipes and the "fence-like" thing near the stairs, and the stairs as well. :D

@Endzeit - The stairs seem unbalanced, still blocky, though aside from that looking good. :D (liking the lamps there)

@Dark Acre Jack - Nice details (I'm not sure if it's textures exactly, though it's nice). Liking how you are able to count and measure the scene with the tiles on the floor (so I would think), and it's nice. :D

@BasicallyNormal (again) - Nice details, very fine. As I said earlier, I wonder how you made the textures in detail, if you wish to share it, that is (though I could imagine high poly -> "bake"/bump mapping was it? -> apply texture to low poly?

@modebloggen - Angle's a bit off, but aside from that, everything appears to be there (model wise, except for the wine on the shelves, though I'm uncertain as to whether the creation of wine bottles is required, or just creating an illusion of sorts).

So far I am inspired by the works of others, and I just came from fixing the scaling of my current project in Maya. A bit smaller, though seems to be more accurate. (Note to self: post picture update if possible).
  • cptnight00
    hey guys has anyone worked out what the window and the band above it are made of?

~I am thinking metal, but could also be painted wood :P
  • modebloggen
    Offline / Send Message
    modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
    cptnight00:
    I'm also thinking it's metal, at least the band above the window. I guess it could be either, but I'm going for metal. I think it'll make for a more interesting scene if that whole couch-area isnt all wood.
  • cptnight00
    cptnight00:
    I'm also thinking it's metal, at least the band above the window. I guess it could be either, but I'm going for metal. I think it'll make for a more interesting scene if that whole couch-area isnt all wood.

yeah, I was a little thrown by it thanks, and yes would be nice to break that area up a bit :)
  • VisanCosmin
    this is my progress so fardas.png
    when it's turbosmoothed it's look better