Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Hall UDK

Replies

• Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    If I understand correctly, you use orb crack and clay tube for this?

Flooring0_nnrsanx.jpg

Right?
    btw sorry for stupid question, trying to learn ZBrush :D
  • Ulwaen
  • Ulwaen
  • Ulwaen
    Little preview of all the wooden elements (architecture), then new lighting proposition (at the early step of it):
    hd_132fc0f059942ef7bdafe22713bc28c8.jpg
    hd_9d424aa8367cac4fba9a23e37657d6a5.jpg
    hd_b9dcb25a15d0f8fcfbc40f9819ebe84c.jpg
    hd_910eb0a5f400612a6fb3c9f939c2d51f.jpg
    hd_a4924e2bc2102c87084aba207b6c326f.jpg
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    beautiful, especially the relief ornament chick!
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ +1. Love the wood textures :D
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice ornaments, love it :D
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Your scene is progressing nicely, especially from first page to you current update!

For me, I'm really enjoying your sculpts but feel like your diffuse maps are of mixed quality. I'm seeing a lot of high frequency information on some while others have broader and bigger shapes. Some things look very photo sourced while others look a bit more planned. I think you could really sit down and bring some more character to your diffuse maps that would compliment the work you've done in your sculpts.

The other thing that I think could help the scene is some lighting and color adjustments. Admittedly, the scene is looking much better in that regard then from where you started but at the end of the day, theres still a lot of warm earthy hues being lit by warm sun and its making the image a bit muddy. If you're able to mix some cool tones into your diffuse maps in the way of color variation, that would help break the visual monotony.

More importantly, I think this will boil down to the overall lighting mood you establish. Find a way to get some color contrast in the cool tones of your scene. This can be achieved with your environment color, the scene adjustments tab in World Properties, or by a LUT. Might help to tone down the number of bounces in your GI settings so the scene has an opportunity to have some darks to contrast your brights. Consider a light atmosphere pass to add some depth to your scene. Separating your foreground, mid ground, and background with some subtle fog can create a composition that is easier on the eyes and has more overall directionality.

Mind posting your unlit and lighting only shots for further critique?

Keep at it, the scene is evolving really nice,
    -Jon
  • Ulwaen
    Thx guys, I'm glad you like it!

Jon > Infact I'm gonna retake the colors of the wooden elements, bring darker and brighter textures then get warm and hot wooden varations. I will add some details (painted ornaments, wear effect, etc) from that time I have got a point of view of about the entire scene (architecture).

Regarding the lighting and the post process, there is still a lot of work to do. Infact some of the element have not their "UV channel 2" well developed to bake the "lightmass" and actually there is only four "omny" and one "directionnal" used in the scene. It's a really roughtly step of it, just to gives an idea of the final render ;) It may change constantly with all the new elements I will bring to the scene (candles, lantern, energetic artifact, etc
    Thx again for your critiques ;)
  • Lloydyy89
    Subbed. SO much awesome work going on in here Ulwaen. :O
  • Ulwaen
    Chimney, Mantelpiece (high):
    hd_2229525e66966f6d5b1a0d6d437af62c.jpg
  • Ulwaen
    Chimney's part:
    hd_5b930f69542bd11ba278bf939a4e7b5c.jpg
    hd_45a1dce38cd1ff397da2b4ad6aaf88bd.jpg

It’s still missing the elements in the hearth (Firedogs, burning log, embers, fireback) and there is enought place in the UVs for it.
  • Ulwaen
  • Ulwaen
    Firdog's part:
    hd_f9053a07493f3b86417aeb6ce4387da5.jpg

Add of the tools to keep the fire alive:
    hd_de71d7ffffbe0fafb1324906164ba3af.jpg

for informations:
    > On the mantlepiece of the chimney, there will be a great painting with a fancy ornamented frame
    > just above, a drape (curtain like) covering a part of the flue like if the painting toke the place of the window.
    > below the tools, an iron container with log inside. Other logs will be stocked in the triangle wooden storage (CF panelling's part).
    > beside the elements for the fireplace (log, embers, ashes, etc) I'm gonna make a bellows.

If you have any suggestion about other props link to a chimney I'm all ears
  • Ulwaen
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Dude!

How did you make that ornate leaf/vine pattern tile around the trim? Is it fully tileable? Did you use and alpha?

Can you explain how you made that design.

Great work!
  • AkiRa
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    How did you make that ornate leaf/vine pattern tile around the trim? Is it fully tileable? Did you use and alpha?

Can you explain how you made that design.

Yeah, I second that question! Really awesome work goin on here!
    Wish I could sculpt stuff like you! :D

Keep it going!
  • Ulwaen
    Thx guys !
    All the ornaments have been made in Zbrush. I used the same technic for the leaves than I explained before then I placed all of it with "transpose tools", and "move brush". It didn't toke so much long time cause there is a symmetrie at the center of the object and the leaves on the front are the same than the ones on the sides. I heard unfortunatelly after about the "matchmaker brush" which could have make me the life much easier ^^ I just sculpted the vign (not the leaves) direct on the mantelpiece with symmetrie enable. So at the end I baked the high poly to my low poly, like I used to do for every other props.
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    really nice wok dude
  • Ulwaen
    Call of Greyjoy? ^^

disp_433b663b0cd66ef58095efb8ed2742b5.jpg
  • Ulwaen
    In waiting to integrated all that stuff in UDK
    Chimney (click to view in 3D)
    9b05ae6a8d2559bb87febd64d1e47396project-preview-250x250.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice work...
    three things spring to mind, i think theyve been said before but im gonna say them too ;-)

1- diffuse looks a bit half baked on alot of the assets it needs a bit more life as do the spec maps...UV damage, dust, dirt wear and tear the wood should go greasy and soft where its been touched a lot,

2 - you need to bed your objects in a load more.. everything is looking stuck together, adding decals around objects and more dirt buildup within the textures would help as would more variation in tone over an object not nesecarily by material but across a material.

3 - i know the lighting is temp, but i always say you need to build your lighting up as you go as it may quite significantly change the colours and materila you want to use along the way.... currently your ranges for lights are a bit off. your sunlight isn't bright enough in relation to your im geussing candle/torch/fire light which should be much dimmer. you also have quite a busy scene with alot of detail so you want to try and keep the lighting in fairly broad strokes to give you much better low and medium frequecy detail... bright areas leading off into dark corners etc... as such i would be tempted to make some of the windows closed or blocked by exterior walls so its only indirect cooler light coming in
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 10
    Cool feedback from Shepeiro! I definitely agree about trying to get lighting in as you work (especially if you are not using a Physically Based Rendering Model)

Like Shepeiro mentioned I would echo that some of the diffuse work could benefit from a bit more time. Thinking about how the various assets would have been built. (This effects lots of things for example... where the part lines (groves) are. What direction the woodgrain flows. If all the bits of wood are the same brightness, etc)

Also thinking about how the various assets are used would help a lot with the diffuse detailing. (what are the points of interaction? These areas will likely be a bit more damaged or dirty. In some cases with wood these areas also become smoother with more interaction, really depends on the type of wood and the way its been used.)

Hope this makes sense, good luck.
  • Ulwaen
    Thank you a lot for your feedback!

From now I have realised all the new elements from the test's step, I'm gonna integrated all the scene propelly an make a big up on the lighting!
    Actually the scene is in its first step, which means it has been thinking only for the tones. I will bring more life as you told me to do so.

Some architectural modifications of the scene will be done too. The ceiling will be higher to prevent the wooden windows's parts to get cuted.
  • Ulwaen
    AA2KnP
    Remake of the columns.
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks very good! Great sculpts! What shader is this? IceFurnace ?
  • Ulwaen
    thx! nop, it's "mt_maquette".
  • Ulwaen
    1898542_10202562683280632_550309343_o.jpg
    After intergrating the "interlacing" version (CF : previous picture ) it wasn't really matching with the others elements of the scene. So I remade the "body part" of the columns more simply.
  • Ulwaen
    1966195_594442533975285_802589746_o.jpg
    After the precious advice from Tor Frick the columns is from now made of 9818 triangles (instead of 50 000 about ^^,) and its shape is not that much changed :D

Whatch it in 3D with Verold::
    http://goo.gl/aT3EOB
  • Ulwaen
    Little update:
    > Wall's texture
    > Modelisation and texturing of the ceiling
    > Stained glass window(to bring color varation)
    > Integrations of the columns
    > New setup of the lighs (still wip)
    6d756793a01a6dc46fbcd953d34ce035.jpg
    5119bec7fc0b1cae6b22a978f7db9c4e.jpg
    1932301_597284677024404_1546446776_n.jpg
    Reste encore pas mal de choses
  • ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    You have some really good high polys and texture detail. UDK is really bad about letting the small details shine, you should port this over to UE4 if you can and rework your textures into PBR. The results would be worth it.

Otherwise looking good.. that column high poly is very impressive!
  • Ulwaen
    Thx dude! I would like to update my scene in UE4 but actually I dont have the budget :/
    I hope the UDK 4's release wont take to long...
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good,but whats up with that crazy texture resolutions?
  • Ulwaen
    I make all my texture in 2048/2048 then after in UDK I decide the size the textures will be display and even resize them manually.
  • Ulwaen
    Faun > Part at the end of the archs linked to the walls
    b41d2bb8bfbca0dd692689a41e89b1dd.jpg
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Ulwaen wrote: »
    Thx dude! I would like to update my scene in UE4 but actually I dont have the budget :/
    I hope the UDK 4's release wont take to long...

If by UDK 4 you mean a free version, we do not have plans to release a free version. If budget is a concern, you are able to subscribe for the 19/month, download, and cancel your subscription and continue to use UE4 as long as you like. You will still have access to support, and forums, but will need to resubscribe to receive updates to UE4.

Models are looking awesome, you could take the scene much further in UE4!
  • Ulwaen
    Ok! Thanks for the informations and the compliments! ;)
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Try Cryengine 3,it's free and has PBR i think.
  • Ulwaen
  • Ulwaen
    Guess of which object this element will be part of:
    e0433a3b1a172808cb434b1c6a1d4ec8.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Is the wood floor constructed correctly? All the panels line up perfectly. Seem like it would fall apart. Do you have reference for this?

XXX-212-HF_Exflooring2.jpg

Is what I typically think for the pattern of wood floors.

Currently there is nothing for a sense of scale. I can't see a beer mug, chair, table, etc and figure out how big a character would be in this scene. That's super important to make sure to have.

The values look a bit similar. I would greyscale this out and make sure the ground, pillars, walls, etc all read as their own values.

Leading from that. What's the purpose? Old medieval hall isn't super descriptive. Is this current day restored castle used as a museum? in the past and a battle is about to happen? in the past but it's been destroyed by the opposing army? There's no story right now. It's just making art. Which is a huge problem a lot of Environment Artists do (myself included at times too). Just go through the process and make stuff and not think about the backstory. Ask yourself who, what, when where, why. If you can't answer those or a friend can't from looking at your scene then sound the alarms and figure out how to correct that.
  • Ulwaen
    The wooden floor has been made like this because there is tunnels under them and I plan to make other rooms connecting to each other. This hall and the tunnels are some of them.

I take note for the technique suggestions (contrast, color, etc.)

However about the background aspects I already gave some details in the previous comments. So without making a monologue (none everyone cares :poly121:), this scene is one of of the rooms from a castle where a character like Merlin or Leonardo da Vinci lives and has been given to him by a lord in a fantastical medieval inspirated world. This kind of a guy who study lot of things and who has brought many articles from his journey. So a the end this room will be full of object with their own stories (alchimy, art, artefact, tribal, etc.) It's also a showroom for all object I'm gonna make in future which could matched with this world of course.

About "it's just making art", ok that's your point of view, I respect that. Personally I use my free time for making project I enjoy, far from the constraints a job could give you (time, concept art, etc.) Ok I keep in mind it's for video game, but come on, do we have to be so serious every time.:)
    If you wish to know more about the background (it's all a world in truth) I will be glad to say you more.

By the way there is the full chandelier :
    1291121_10202664449664728_387628300_o.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Cool. Totally get your vibe about just having fun making stuff, etc. I definitely do that. I was just commenting that this is a big time commitment to not thoroughly think all the aspects of this out.

I stand by my scale and value comments though. :D
  • Ulwaen
    We are human! that's why it needs teams to make video games :)
  • Ulwaen
    Textures version :
    10003873_10202672742112034_2134815934_o.jpg
    And there is the ceiling’s part where the chandelier is hanged to
    1921021_10202673103721074_147983678_o.jpg
  • Ulwaen
    You may click HERE to watch it in 3D!
  • Ulwaen
    There is the last renders from UDK...before the update into UE4!!!

e0113d852c759e41693d557cf143e8f3.jpg
    a389a48ba8733f456efbc05862971581.jpg
    9ff54d8d41db090ce1f9e402f6232646.jpg

This update will be the occasion to:
    > Get a better readability by tweaking the color of the elements and their light's impacts (flat, shiny, metalic, etc.).
    > Optimise some props ^^,
    > Tweak the shadows artefacts.
    > Maybe add tesselation, if not so expenssive, for the ceiling, the walls and the grounds.
    > Add atmospherical FX like godrays, dust, etc.
    > Get a better rendering of the scene using some post-process and maybe setup and day/night loop.
    > Remake all the lighting setup thank to BPR renderinf and the hability to use many dynamique lights (flickable lights for the fire in the chimney, the candle flames, etc.).
    > And of course add some interactions in the scene (interruptors, openings gates, flying machine (to give the oppoturnity to use a free camera) (cf blueprint) ^^

Meanwhile I'm working on the props which will be in the scene, and there is still a lot of them to do ;)
  • Ulwaen
    Retake of my femal basemesh(anatomy, face, etc.) to use it like ornamentation of props or simply for characters project. From now I'm gonna use it for the handle of a sword consisting of 6 wood-nymph, gather to each other by branch, roots, leaves and flowers:
    1554343_10203015258434728_4668553348280034362_n.jpg
    10379823_10203015577802712_4269140896172344409_o.jpg
    10403067_10203015576802687_6598016798151223803_n.jpg
    For the project which will need it, I will retake the hands and the feet to bring theme more details.
    About the handdle of the sword, the head's height of the wood-nymph will be the same than the phalanx of the thumb.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, just dropping by to say its coming together nicely.
    Some issues are already mentioned.
    My two cents:
    I have difficulty to get the right scaling of your map.
    For example the ground looks so big and if you compare the candles
    with some of the wall pieces its hard to say how big everything is.
    This makes me think - "something is wrong"
    Overall its also hard to see a point of interest - what do you want to sell ?
    Whats the story behind ?

Cheers
  • Ulwaen
    Thx for the feeds!
    I've already answered to this, just check the comment (C.F: Ulwaen on 04-03-2014 10:38 PM);)

I admit the wooden planks of the ground are quiet big, but it the only way to get the effect mentioned into the comment.

However this scene is not finish yet, more I produce and more it's susceptible to change.
    Unfortunately I'm not able to make concept art, that why the pipepline of this project looks a little rought ^^,