Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun: Scar MK 16

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rumkugel: That's the environment reflection map making the lens look red, I'm pretty sure - if you look you will see it changes colour based on different angles.

spahr: Cool work, very clean and sharp.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Alright, so, I figured why my colour was off was mostly due to the coloured lights I had in my scene, turned the colour off and that fixed most of my problems. Now I made the colour differences, and Ive been looking at a bunch of reference and the difference seems to vary on the photo. But there is a difference. Hopefully I got that. And yeah the material I had on the eotech was pink :), so I got that out of there!

Also I tried getting the plastic look, and I was advised to make a compromise between the aesthetics and the accuracy, and most people like the metal look, espcially since I couldnt get a good looking plastic :P.

screenier.jpg

So hopefully now I have an accurate, but nicely beat up gun you would want to shoot with in a game :).

Thanks for the crits :D
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Upper Receiver should be more saturated/darker.

Metal parts arent reading too well, specially the rails.
    Remember those parts are very rough and anodized, hence the surface isnt very shiny and has a broad spec.

the dirt is alright, but way to all over the rifle.
    dirt catches in specific places (if you dont dip it into mud..) namely nooks and cranies

spec still seems very... flaky.
    did you add the same pattern used on the spec into the diffuse??
    admitted, spec on extensively used guns does look flaky after a while, but not like on yours.
    it should be more subtle:

take a look at these gats:
    http://www.konstipation.com/stuff/walt/sas/l1192.jpg
    http://www.konstipation.com/stuff/walt/sas/l1193.jpg
    Also I tried getting the plastic look, and I was advised to make a compromise between the aesthetics and the accuracy, and most people like the metal look, espcially since I couldnt get a good looking plastic :P.

oh come on.. metal scratches on an originally plastic material?
    ok maybe i´m too anal about that... but achieving a plastic looks (specially on the scar) isnt too hard. low spec, broad highlights

metal wise take a look at your barrel.
    it looks pretty well for a metal surface, less spec and a bit noise in the spec map and its purfect.

RS Frontend:

P1000598.jpg

suggestions:
    boosted up the saturation on the tan (latest scars are held in a dark tanish color instead of the early pale one).
    dyed the upper receiver and added noise.
    added noise to the metal parts(barrel)
    personalization (rack number)

screeniercopykygx.jpg

RS one:

_SCAR-H_01.jpg

cheers
  • Spitfire
    Awesome job, i really like how the texture really gave it that big extra to a great model
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Over 3 years since I last posted. And this gun texture has always been a stain on my resume. I had to cut it short after I got a new job. But, now jobless, oh the free time to have fun again and finish this guy the way she was meant to be!

Anyways, went back, and nothing shows you how much better youve gotten as an artist like opening 3 year old maya files. What I intended to be a 3 hour task of redoing the texture in dDo, turned out to be a nearly 2 day task of cleaning up low poly geo, fixing subD mesh, redoing all UVs, rebaking, and finally the task I set forth.

I actually broke down the gun with multiple materials like the actual gun. Go figure eh. Anyways, here are the latest screen grabs.

promo1f.jpg
    promo4n.jpg
    scar4x.jpg
    scar1s.jpg

Learnt some more dDo, got a sense of how bad I was and thought I better think Im this bad now in 3 years, and spruced up a lacking area on my portfolio. All in all, not a complete waste of time. In between art test and contract work, I had a bunch of fun.
  • Stormfreek
    This is really cool man, it is motivating and inspiring to see you come back to an old project and show us how much you have progressed! Well done!
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks man. Yeah its funny how time flies, but you still think you arent any better since school. Then you look back and see the trail of crummy works that lead up to where you are now. Its a fun journey to say the least. Hope it keeps going...
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Deployed a Unity3d build of my gun rotating HERE

Some back face issues I just noticed. Might have to fix the normals.