Home Technical Talk

Head Topology - Shading Problem

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Having a lot of trouble getting the normals to smooth correctly. Trying to paint diffuse but the weird shading makes the mouth area look pretty wonky. Not really sure what the cause is. Is my topology just all wrong? Any ideas?

probf.png

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you're intending diffuse only, wouldn't you be better off having it self illuminated, or at least partially so?

that would sort your issue somewhat as well.

only other thing i can think of is maybe doing a soft select relax, or checking to see if you need to edit the triangulation of some of the quads.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Is the material just a lambert? Low quality render?

Try high quality or viewport 2.0. It changes the shading quite a lot.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Gir it also has normal maps and a spec. I tried relaxing but it still has the same issue.

Carl, it does the same thing in game as it does in Maya.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if it has normalmaps, all i can suggest is running a decent realtime shader. i think xoliul works in maya?

edit: just read that it does the same in-game. would you mind posting your normalmap?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm not a Maya user, but from what I've gathered if you bake a normal map in Maya then it should at least look right inside of Maya (the game engine can be a different story). Do those images have the normal map applied?
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like an issue of not enough geometry + position of the vertices. If it's meant for games then you've really gotta push and pull those verts to force the shading that you're looking for. For game rez models I often resort to manually cutting triangles in problem areas to force the shading into the way I want it. try moving things around to get the shape you need.