Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Boy and his Monsters {Character WIP}

Replies

• MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I HAVE BEGUN BLOCKING AND LIGHTING TESTS! FEAR ME!!!!
    So yeah, no poses or anything, literally just getting a feel for composition and lighting. Just normal + AO + Cavity. Its getting closer and closer. This coming week will probably be a focus on the operating theater itself. I would like to try and limit the environment to 1 or 2 texture sheets.

Y8h4Eup.jpg
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Great work! I've really enjoying seeing your updates in here. Love the mood/composition in your latest image, I can't wait to see how it all comes together!
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Looks splendid mate, i was wondering what happened to his ear on the first page :D
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks terrible, start over.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir

It ain't too easy to sculpt 1700' area characters mixed with an horror theme, think about the boredom factor. This isn't picked up every day by teenagers and young adults.

He's doing a fine job in my book.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    This is freaking awesome. I look forward to the finished piece. I must say, the progress made in this thread is fantastic. The first page gave me the creeps for all the wrong reasons, but now, this looks like its straight out of a AAA horror game. Keep up the good work man!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Leinad- Thanks, hopefully it wont be too long until its finished.
    @peanut- Hhaha his ear got nibbled on a little maybe, thanks :) and dont worry about Gir, out friendship is built on abuse, like all good friendships!
    @gilesruscoe- Thanks man, I'll do my best :)
    @alighty-gir- This is just for you, I took it all the way back.
    I3ymve3.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight's work. Finalized the gloss on the kid and added the monogram stitching. I think the hairs done but I wont know till final lighting. Basically kid's done. Starting working on the scene more, added shelves and started Ndo'ing some normals.

IfclRc9.jpg
    b9THtgv.jpg
    9YDTzpz.jpg
  • MrPie
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Nice progress! The little freaky critters remind me of miniture nemesis's haha

66e4e3ed10.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Damn dude this makes the child from the Omen look like an angel. Nice stuff!
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    nice dude! freaky stuff.
    could do a homage to rembrandt
    4c6ca74c139f4a28b00270f281fb6cc2.ashx?mw=3000&mh=3000&dl=1
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    @MrPie- haha Yeah, a coworker said the same thing :)
    @Deathstick- Thanks!
    @Dylan Brady- Funny you should mention that painting. While the project started off with the illustration in the first post the current composition is a mixture of that Rembrandt painting and Thomas Eakins The Gross Clinic:
    t3Iopbq.jpg?1

And now for tonight's progress. Small update. I finished skinning the monsters. And now that I think about it, I dont think i ever formally introduced the four variants that will be populating the scene.
    So put your hands together for Bobby, Slack, Schnoz, and Pin!
    JzYOOH3.jpg

Everyone is using the same Textures/UV's and Rig. I have the meshes in their own layers.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    I rigged the kid and have started skinning him.
    Hopefully I'll be done in a few evenings.
    Now his mouth is closed fer realzies!
    LWA48lZ.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyones rigged!! WOOO!! Onto blocking and posing and tweaking and storytelling.

Tonights blockout and test
    lBfZt7a.jpg

And played around with some of the new stuff in the TB2 update
    WQMxRpv.jpg
  • alexdubbeat
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    Nice and creepy Hobo! :) About his haircut... Personally i like earlier versions. Now he look like hipster mofo. :D
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    lol hey hipsters can be dangerous too!
    not really an update just enjoying some of the new stuff in the Toolbag2 update and trying to understand mood and light a bit more.

Tu8nGKY.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so did more work on portrait shots tonight, but I cant decide between these 2 slightly different shots. Thoughts?:

ZtdtnHK.jpg
    NTQL0Y6.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, it's coming along very nicely!

Usually I would avoid having your character looking straight at the camera... but in this particular case, I think it can work (depending what effect you want to achieve)! Since the kid is creepy, having him staring straight at you makes it even scarier I think. If that's what you're going for, I'd be tempted to go with #1.

What do you think?
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    You're definitely right and confirming what Ive been hearing from others. Im going to adjust his gaze so he is looking right at the camera this weekend. Thanks!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the update to the portrait shot based on the feedback Ive been getting:
    1pXDYOp.jpg

And I have made a substantial update to the scene. Pedestal and the view gallery are pretty much done. I still need to finish the operating table, the magic that the boy is using to remove the heart, and pose all the monsters in the background. Got some great help from Chris Kuhner, Mike Skyers, Matt Waggle, and Raymond Meeks on the setting up the new pose and camera angle but I would love to hear some more thoughts on what you like in the new pose/shot, what you dont like, what you think is working or not working, etc. Trying to gauge some options as I move forward.

8B2spN6.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    All meshes and materials have been brought into the scene. How do you all think it looks so far? Almost done so I made an action list for the rest of whats left. Im thinking a couple weeks left till Im done-ish:

-Finish textures (Heart mostly with some glowly glow emissive brands)
    -Book variants (Flesh will be tinted different colors slightly also need to swap the open book pages)
    -Magic effects (Flowing off the hands around the heart, etc.)
    -Posing the rest of the audience (about 3 more guys left to put back there)
    -Finalize lighting (rim lights, areas of focus/interest, etc)
    -Tweak some minor stuff with posing
    -Finalize Post FX (Im pretty happy with the post I have now but I would still like to explore a few other things.)
    -Breakdown shots and presentation for portfolio...
    XCOwjsy.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    after that list it should be super awesome :D
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats the plan. Just have to tackle it piece by piece.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Update getting closer to the end, current action list:
    -Finish textures (Heart mostly with some glowly glow emissive brands)
    -Finish Magic effects (Flowing off the hands around the heart, etc.)
    -Posing the rest of the audience (about 3 more guys left to put back there)
    -Finalize lighting (rim lights, areas of focus/interest, etc)
    -Tweak some minor stuff with posing
    -Finalize Post FX (Im pretty happy with the post I have now but I would still like to explore a few other things.)
    -Breakdown shots and presentation for portfolio

mmwsUdZ.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    OK
    Im so tempted to call this done but I think it might be better to sit on it for a few days...
    Pretty much everything on my action list was addressed as well as some additional things due to feedback from LunchCrunch.
    I'll toss up some detail shots later. I might move onto sorting out my breakdown images while I sit on calling this "done".
    Hows everything looking so far?

4csrb9l.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Charles, I think maybe just right now, as hopefully an easy fix, double check the rules of thirds composition assuming you want the heart, etc, at the points of intersection.

Maybe one of the creatures in the back could be squinting to vary the emotional expressions in the scene.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i second JadeEyePanda, but i'll add the following on lighting:

overall it's really cool, however i'm left wondering where the red light actually "is" in the scene. i would assume it's coming from the hand casting the magic and yet the opposite side at the top of the head is being lit... it just looks a little off.

other than that, this is a really solid looking scene man, well done.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    This is starting to shape up, it looks monstrously good. For the era maybe add draperies and candles ?
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    man... this is nearly perfect :)

one other thing jumped into my eye.... why is the hand of the alien not blurred, but the table in the front is?
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    gir and Panda both covered all of the things that stood out to me, beyond those crits I can only agree that this has shaped up to be something awesome. :thumbup:
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is really great!

My 2 cents.
    • Change the body color/texture of the dead creature, to contrast the living ones in the viewing area.
    • Pedestal/autopsy table looks low quality/resolution compared to the rest of the piece.
    • The book would look amazing if it had a glow coming from the text, think lord of the rings.
    • The little guy with his back towards us is really hard to read, as a viewer there isn't enough context to make out what he's doing or why.
    • I'd love it if you pack the rafters with the observing creatures, more layers and have them bunched together, think of the minions. Pushing each other out of the way to get a better view.
    • Candles/candlestick holder with dripping wax would be really great at setting the mood and adding to your storytelling.
    • The wood structure in the background (shelving, and rafters) are not telling me a story just yet. I'd love to see more love put into these pieces, your characters are amazing, but the stage/set isn't there yet. Look at old courtrooms/churches. I'd love the see the quality of the wood jump to something more this design and shader quality, paying attention to wood trim details. the_old_courtroom_sm.jpg

good luck, keep going!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    JadeEyePanda- Thanks, I pushed the composition a bit tighter which should help a bit. The monsters were never designed the ability to squint, so it's all brow all day.

almight_gir- Thanks and you gave me a good idea about the light I switched it to more of an orangeish glow to simulate candle or lantern light. It should make more "sense" now.

peanut- not really enough space left composition wise but the new lighting should give the idea of candle light.Thanks!

skodone-Thanks for pointing that out, it should be fixed now.

Two-Listen- Thanks! Took a while but we got here.

pixelpatron- Thanks for the ideas! I changed the cadaver to a paler color and fixed the resolution issues with the autopsy table. I also increased the glow from the book (not all of text just the image he's pulling from). I dont really think I have space for candles but like I said above the new lighting should give that feeling.

Theres not too much more I feel comfortable doing to the audience right now maybe later when I have more energy for this, but its been almost a year that this project has been sitting on my HD. Im tired but happy with what Ive learned and achieved currently. I think it's time to move on.

So here's the final as it stand now (unless I missed something super bad, theres one tiny teeny little thing to fix on the wood, but that will be fixed when i do the presentation for my portfolio.) with the new lighting and other adjustments. I still need to die the presentation stuff for my portfolio and the presentation shots for the boy, the monsters and the book so this thread will go a little bit longer.

eWKinhb.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    i hope you dont die the presentation :D:D:D

very very nice i like the nwe glow on the heart far better!
    looking forward to dead presentation!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks skodone!
    Presentation and Breakdown shots for Edwin, hopefully I can have the book and the monsters done tomorrow:
    jcPpNRp.jpg
    ymJiLv9.jpg
    wWpduie.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    And the rest of the shots... That about does it
    Im closing the book on this.. GET IT!? Book?:
    dEOYJAE.jpg
    dO1WD4w.jpg
    CAvoCfb.jpg
    yfn6NpI.jpg
    Dglwsdw.jpg
    y9VSDOO.jpg
  • Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    This is so freaking cool ! Really like the final scene.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. Happy to pull it together :)
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    seeing all those incredible books :D makes me wanna do a book too :D:D
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Skodone, there's a lot of personality you can cram into a good book project :)
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a quick break from my current project to assemble a presentation video for the final scene. A bit self indulgent yeah... But I just went with the flow.
    Should be available in full HD at 60fps.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwF-JnULVX8[/ame]