Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red:Out - a futuristic racing game

Hello everyone! I'd like to share the brand new game we're developing at http://34bigthings.com/, a small indie studio located in Turin, Italy : if you think we love
Wipeout and we miss it a lot, well, you're right.
We're developing it with Unreal Engine 4, but I'm trying to have a retro look. Yes, no fancy-normals, almost everything low poly with hard edges where needed.

It will be a fast paced race game with a lot of WEAPONS, MAD TRACK PIECES, LONG HIGH-SPEED JUMPS and...

4 PLAYER SPLIT SCREEN WITH OCULUS SUPPORT! (if you've enough Oculus...)

screen_00-1024x576.jpg
action_011-1024x576.jpg
screen_051-1024x576.jpg

It's the first time I'm fully in charge of the look and feel of an entire videogame, until now I've served as Tech Artist. I'd like to have some feedbacks on the Art Direction, cause we're still in pre-Alpha and some adjustments are due.

Hope you like it!

Peace,
Budello

Replies

• Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    ! bello vedere degli italiani provarci in Italia :) [ITA off]

As for critiques on art style and directions I'd say the slightly noisy textures on the building are kind of clashing with the style imho.
    I'd expect something cleaner (more like the ground and the stones) and probably a bit more flashy/saturated or with just some hints of colors kind of like what mirror's edge does.

Anyway will keep an eye on this :)
  • Budello
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    ! bello vedere degli italiani provarci in Italia :) [ITA off]

As for critiques on art style and directions I'd say the slightly noisy textures on the building are kind of clashing with the style imho.
    I'd expect something cleaner (more like the ground and the stones) and probably a bit more flashy/saturated or with just some hints of colors kind of like what mirror's edge does.

Anyway will keep an eye on this :)

Thanks man, I was already thinking about it! :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    I like the modeling style quite a lot.
    However I feel your track color and textures are letting you down.
    I had to look at the track shot three times until I saw the vehicles on it.
    Change the color scheme of the track (something that contrasts with the vehicles and way less saturated) and bring your textures more in line with your environment and I believe you're good to go.
  • Budello
    I like the modeling style quite a lot.
    However I feel your track color and textures are letting you down.
    I had to look at the track shot three times until I saw the vehicles on it.
    Change the color scheme of the track (something that contrasts with the vehicles and way less saturated) and bring your textures more in line with your environment and I believe you're good to go.

Ok, this may seems strange but we just changed the color scheme of the track to a light blue with yellow arrows and it's WAAAAAAAY better! Thanks man, your critique is really appreciated! :thumbup:
  • 4ik0
  • DWalker
    And please, please kill the lens flares. Few things are more annoying in a game than being blinded by the camera.