Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP - Temperance Dawn

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Started a new character. To spare the details, I'm aiming for a beautiful sci-fi character of Elegance, Royalty, and Authority. I use my result/model from my anatomy practice. Hair is placeholder, will do nice and proper hair planes. No real concept art used, I just look at loads of Pinterest for inspiration.

Still blocking out her costumes and forms.

tw6xPQo.jpg

Here come walls of text.
She's my original character; I been trying to improve my designing skills for awhile now. The idea is to create a futuristic space princess. O o' It's part of culture norms that royal bloods lead armies into battle. Or, more like, armada of spaceships. So, apart from being a Princess, she's also a fleet Admiral. So, her costumes will be consisted of ceremonial armors and uniforms with royalty decorations on top. After countless of battles, victories and defeats alike, she's undergone cyborg implantation in order to keep going. So I will replace some of her limbs as well as installing machines/devices plugs onto her flesh. Maybe like some sort of brain interface and tubes/cables and what not.

And yes, Temperance is her name. The others, you know, Wrath and Avarice and Acedia are royalties from other empires at war.

TLDR: Appreciate all feedback you can give me !!

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Not much to say right now, not in my design brain so I don't want to risk critiquing the shapes and style.

Instead, I'm just popping in to say that I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! Good luck (also, subbed)!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! I'm gonna take all the lucks I could get my hands on :P Last time I tried to design something myself, I found out I had really bad taste...

Working on replacing her arms with machines now. Most likely the sleek-looking metal-shiny ones. Also, robotic high heels coming soon !
  • Chronicle
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    Excellent start. I'm liking where this is going and the idea behind it. The elegance and authority is a really nice combination to work with.

My 2 cents would be to really harden those edges around the neck area of the clothing. The curve moving up into the neck really captures the elegance but the soft edges make it lack authority. A really sharpening and defining those edges would bring that out. I'm really liking the lines in the clothing so far.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Good start, but seeing that you don't have a definitive concept will most likely have you running about in 3D without a general clue as for cohesive design language that you want to convey. I say take a step back and really take all those references you took, create a thematic design for your character and then once your blueprints are laid out, start creating it. Think of how in building anything, there are always blueprints and with those laid out, you gather the resources, make the parts and then combine them all together. Same goes with creating a character. Otherwise you are just stumbling for a happy accident to happen and then go along with it. Just my two cents.
    Also, some people actually don't need a concept but some of them have been doing this for years. You can do that if you like. Keep going.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys ! I think I can put up a mood/ref board tomorrow. And if the design proves to be really struggling, I will do a nice concept as well.

Going to turn her left hand robotic next, then her feet.

hmLXJ9k.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking really good man! You have improved so much since you started the MC challenge :)

Keep up the good work!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!! I try my best :)

Robotic hands and all that. Not final.
    w45xqus.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's update. Her legs and shoes.
    4w0kWcL.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I will make better transition from her thigh to robotic leg later. Working on her face now. I tried a few designs + methods. So far I like this one best.
    As for her hair, I'm thinking of woman samurai kinda hairstyle. Long and ancient looking. That, or quite short and militaristic looking instead. Will sculpt them for ideas, then do hair planes later.

sIeBxUe.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    I've noticed you've been working hard lately, keep it up! *watching*
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot man ^^

Gotta say, I quite missed getting a lot of comments/helps like last year. :P Hopefully I have improved a bit over time ??

Anyway, more arts, less chitchat.

I worked on her hairstyles. Four hairstyles to be precise. (more actually, but some are crappy.) Can't decide on her look yet. What do you guys think !???

ad55d5325c93b94dc0053cb03a02d374.jpg
    b021fbe090ce704794c80cd1bcf9b8f2.jpg
    8d5f079f26d38b6e69381926f6421d4e.jpg
    df6fefa62718a4288dfd71275d0a237c.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    again :) i say samurai!
  • Xyrtae
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyrtae polycounter lvl 6
    I love where you are going with this, keep it up.

I like the samurai style as well.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    While I want to shout Samurai as well because I like the look, I'd say neither of these.

If you're going for a more reglar look none of these really convey that to me right now. Either they're Warrior (Samurai), Grandma (Princess), boring (Captain) or Rebel (Futuristic).

The Princess one is closeish to what I'd imagine a ruler to have - but only on the front. The back kinda says "Grandma's hair" to me. A longer, curly and flowing style with some knots and a single accessoire would probably be best. I'd incorporate parts of the Futuristic style into it, to make it look more fitting.

I love the sleeve on the right, but the left side looks super derp to me right now by comparison. Then again you didn't work on that yet. Also I really dislike these 1-sided-cloak-things you love so much, but that's really my personal taste. It really fits here with the sleeve. BUT IT BUGS ME STILL :D I like the combination of cloth and ornamental armor on this character.

Robo-Hand will need work down the line to look more robo.

I've no idea where you're going with the boots yet, so I'll hold off on those. But my brain does nag me a little that you might be trying too push asymetric looks too obviously instead of it being sublte. Too much 'in the face' I guess.

Well, that's all I got right now. I'll drop by now and then to randomly shout suggestions at you :P
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, what's up :P

@Xaragoth, you raised a very good point actually, and I thought over that a lot as well. I like to think of the Samurai hairstyle as more of a commanding presence in the bridge. Like a war general on the frontline, I suppose. I also got the idea from Knights of Sidonia where the captain dons the samurai attires as ceremonial outfit sometimes. There's something cool about the fantasy sci-fi ^^

I REALLY love the 1-sided cape though :P Influenced by Lightning from FF13 and Assassin's Creed, among others.

With that said, any suggestion about the more subtle asymmetrical look ? I don't want this to turn into 'left hand, right arm, left shoulder, right-sided torso, left thigh, right knee, left calf, right foot, etc etc' <_<"

Anyway, I am working on improving the Samurai hairstyle right now. We will see !!
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, work on it :P I'll keep feedbacking on how it looks to me. As I said, normally I'd love it, but I'm not sure it really serves to create a commanding presence on a person. It screams more "I'M THE ANIME MAIN CHARACTER, LOOK AT ME" right now.

As for the asymmetrical look ... I'd keep bigger pieces very similar, but work with smaller difference to offset them. The bigger the pieces, the more they'll offset from each other and turn into noise.

Examples from your sheet:

Top row, picture 3. Offset by the blade/cloak and helmet, while being very similar in armor design.
    Bottom row, picture 2. Leg pieces. One is a bit shorter, but offsets it nicely. Same goes for the chest piece and the shoulder. Chest is a bit too much on that one though.
    Bottom row, picture 5: good example here is the single shoulder piece and the difference in the cloth below it.

One of the better examples I can think of for subtle asym. is Katarina from League. She wears a very specific armor, but if accented in asym. design by her tattoo, the knives, the belt. It's not "in your face" but instead fits very well in the overall picture of her.

I've been spending some time myself looking for good examples, since I want to start on my Royal Assassin project soonish and wanted to have subtle differences without it turning into noise.

For example this armor from TERA is one I quite liked:
    http://tera-online.cc/uploads/gallery/main/63/human_f_l19.jpg

It has a tiny bit of an issue in the chest piece for me personally, but it's still pretty good. The overall armor is similar, but there is small differences in the arrangement and details.

Otherwise very flowing transitions could help as well. Also what would probably be a good idea is to force her curves a slight bit more on the hips. Make her look less blocky and slightly more feminin, without overdoing it.

Edit: never post before coffee, I think I got all the typos.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    If you wanna go with a tad more realistic tone for a commander character I would suggest:

- tied knot
    - braid
    - short
    - sidecut

I have to agree with the "Anime main character look" (lol Xaragoth), but maybe thats what your going for :)

in any case, looking good man! I would like a request though, can you post a render without colors?
    and a more standard zbrush material that isnt so plastic and shiny. the zmats are kind of distracting for me and its hard to give crits on the actual sculpting.

Its good to pre-vis stuff, dont get me wrong, but its also good to take one thing at a time and look at the forms first.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this matcap better ??
    7y92nkl.jpg

Man, I can't stop laughing at the 'anime main char'. Bull's eyes, LOL!!! That's how I came up with the story/character in the first place. I will see what I can do though. I don't really like the Janeway's look, TBH <_<"

@Xaragoth I see what you mean about the subtle asymmetrical look now. Both her arms are mostly the same now except her hands and the shoulders thing. Same with her legs, maybe except a bit of her thighs.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Matcap is better, yus.

I'd rework some pieces here. To show off her leg, it'd be better to change the cut of the robe and the leg protection. Just slightly enough to show that it's a robotic leg, without trying to shove it into exposition.

I'd also scale down the right shoulders hanging cloth and instead focus on making it more unique looking instead of big - currently it feels a bit noisy in the silhouette to me. Lots of gold embroidery to make it unique. maybe some kind of brooch.

Uhm... otherwise I feel her breasts/ribcage area looks extremly wide with all the layers of cloth and leather and what not there. Might need a tiny bit of work.

Hair is betterish. But as someone who occasionally has long hair, I can tell you having hair hanging like that in your face is the devil and annoying as hell :P

edit: pre-coffee-typo fixing.
  • ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i agree in thinking that her ribcage area looks too large. maybe narrow that down a bit and slightly widen out the hips. also, the hands, especially the thumb needs some refinement. the transition from the base of the thumb into the wrist doesn't look right, it feels as though the palm and hand isn't long enough and her wrist is looking quite thick.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I swear sometimes you read my mind Xaragoth ^^ I was just thinking the same thing about those hairs getting in the way after I posted the update. I'm working on it now ^^ I will see what I can do with the hanging cloth embroidery.

ZippZopp, I'm sorry I still can't see the wrongness of her hands :( Her wrists look thick from the front view, but apart from that I still can't tell T_T

Thanks guys. Also working on her chest/waist/hips now.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, here's an update. I worked on her proportion a bit. Also resculpting her hands and so her robotic hand will be remade. I didn't like the old design anyway. Also, I have hardsurfaced some of her armors :) One they're all good, then I start working on the cloths.
    LcprY83.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy with Riot Contest, and testing Hair Planes... Not happy with it yet, of course ;(
    jH1kYkh.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe it's just me but I think the hairline is starting a bit too high. Unless she is balding early :p
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    ROFL!! Good point man. I will fix too :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, have to stop playing with the hairs now, or this will never get finished <_<"
    eY9lfI7.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Keep it up man, but im not sure with those face cuts you do

This seems like something that demands high res close up shots with an offline renderer to look right, with the corresponding detail required, else the thin details do not really show and add mostly noise and aliasing, also why cut through the lips, that would not make much sense : P

Also you do nice highpolies and the bakes look good too, try laying more focus on texturing and lighting in the future, those things need the most attention from you
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the hair is now trying to become the main role in japanese adult films :D You're overdoing it a bit here, I think. Hair has become a bit too much noise like this. If this was a Stormmage or something, I'd say it works if the hair was floating in mid-air - but even then I'd reduce it.

Agree with Shrike on the lip-split.

Otherwise for texturing I would suggest to try and grab some stocks and do some polypaint with spotlight. That should give it a bit of a kick :)
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Almost immediately I notice how small her hands are. The whole hand should be about the size of the face(not the whole head) Make them larger and it will look much better :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hair definitely needs to be pulled back, there's too much going on.

Assani, I know it's too late, but have you thought about painting iterations out before committing to a particular direction instead of sculpting it all out?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth wrote: »
    main role in japanese adult films :D You're overdoing it a bit here, I think. :)

ROFL ! LOL wut !?? Anyway, yeah, I lost sight a bit and couldn't really sculpt the hair out the way I wanted to. :( Went overboard a bit.

I will see what I can do about the texture though :)

@Sukotto Thanks man! I will be damn sure to check and adjust her hands. They def. look kind of off right now.

@JadeEyePanda I do a quick paint in Photoshop about something I am about to do, yes. But, no, I don't really design things out in Photoshop. Most of the times I can't tell if the design is good or not until I see it in 3D. In Photoshop, I only paint out blocks of what goes where, and then I do it in ZB to see if it works out or not :(

And here's update. That's new Bionic Hand. Will take today's feedback into the next update. Still debating the lips split thing...
    romDUZR.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I mostly worked on Riot's Contest today, but I did get around to adjust Temperance's hands. A tad bigger and longer hands definitely look better :)

Here's the face split panel things that I try to make. I will see what I can do about it.

ffc629d205b81ff00b0971ad58ac6911.jpgtumblr_nd7tujQMUp1sv0jm9o1_500.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the second one is clearly robotic entirely, so it makes more sense.

The upper one is neat *saves because gud* and looks like someone who might've had to get pieces of her face replaced after an incident to me.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm debating how much/further Robotic should she be. Technically, she's a Captain who's brought back to life via technology every time she falls in battle. Over and over. And each time she's more of a machine than a captain controlling a machine(the ship). So, more plugs and cables and brain/nerve interface :) ??

Made changes to her dress/coat. Opted for her Command Sash instead for the one-sided cape thing. The sash looks horrible, though, so I will work more on that. Still planning about her thighs area. Completely blocked out her heels now, so I will refine em next.

VEltn04.jpgY7wuDGb.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Facing dilemma :( I want to create nice trims and seams and panels and details and all that. But do I have to keep subdiv until I get high enough poly to sculpt on ?? My PC/ZB slows down greatly when any subtool is bigger than 400k points. And I feel I need much more than that to make nice details :(

Wa4s4gL.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Google ZBRush Layers. It applies very high-resolution details like seams without it actually quite being part of the mesh. You can bake in the details before you decimate, or something else.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    But you still gotta subdiv for that, no ? Since you can't subdiv inside a layer.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    ...My last human head subtool was over 3 mill to get the detail I wanted without stretching. Sorry. If your head is already as separate from the body as possible (so you can subdiv without subdividing everything else and making the point count go crazy), then I'm not so sure there's anything you can really do.

Looking good though, Pyr, though the hair is a bit crazy. Are those feathers or her hair? Additionally, her hair is defying gravity to an uncomfortable extent (not just like anime, like, entirely implausible). Kinda looks like you've changed the ponytail a bit though, since the previous update. Can we get a shot from all the angles again, if you have?

It's all nice and clean apart from that, though, love the shoulder pads. Keep goin', hope you can get a way to get those high resolution details you need.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd give it a try, see if it's any huge performance hit if you turn on or off a layer.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, gonna try the layer for this. Usually I use it for multiple kinds of wrinkles so I can make adjustments easily. Will let you know how it goes.

I made some changes to her ponytails, aye. Smaller, and a bit diff shape. and turned them into planes. Those things around her hairs are decorative stuff.
    2x8wtQn.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Looks much better as planes! The gravity of it is still a little bit off, though.
    Would you be alright with me doing a quick paintover of this, or no? It's just a little hard to describe alternatives, easier to just sketch 'em out.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I love paintover :P Go ahead man.

Added: Went up to 2mills for a short period of time, then crashed and burnt <_<"
    For now, my solution is to keep the trimmings on a separated subtool.
    zveMKt5.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Did this for the hair but noticed a few other things-- all the stuff to the right is for future projects and doesn't need to be fixed here. Just stuff I've noticed happening repeatedly on your pieces.

U9j3EQCS.png

Okay, hair first. The back needs gravity and stray strands from shorter hair at the nape of her neck. Right now it just kinda terminates... makes her head look like it's got a misshapen skull.

K7GR2nTL.png

If you don't have long hair yourself, be sure to look up how it's pulled into a ponytail. The way the segments are flowing looks a bit awkward to me right now, too.
    I also feel there's a bit too much volume in the bangs, this thickness that feels a little lost in the rest of the style. They're also starting at a kinda weird place. It's hard to even try and explain what I mean, but here's something I picked up on while trying to illustrate it that'll help it look less awkward without much effort.

kX135lTh.png

Have a look at shoe construction, too, slightly odd shape and no features. I'm assuming WIP so I didn't mention it or fix it. The heel is really odd though, just a strange uncomfortable shape you don't see. I honestly think these look like they're not meant to have heels at all.

And also, have a look at the shape a foot goes in when wearing a heel, I feel yours are a little flat, not as arched as they could be.

I am assuming this is all dress outfit, for inbetween battles. Even so, I'd try to make the 5 belts more practical. Can you imagine her getting up in the morning, like, "Ah, I'm late for the meeting with [important person who needs to know military business here]! Gotta get dressed and ready to go!" then... have to put this on. Literally, standing there and fastening one belt after the other. You'd think she'd get bored after just one? Maybe make it a single wrapping or faux belts or something if you want this look.

Hope my rambling on can help you push this forward into something awesome! I think recently, at a technical level, your works have become exponentially better. You just need to hone your eye for form and aesthetics and you'll be well on your way. :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a whole lot man! I see what you mean now about her hair. The indent of the volume and the beck of her neck. And her ponytail. I'm working on it now and it's starting to look better already (me think :P)

I will see what I can do with the rest as well :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's an update :)
    Lots of small adjustments around. Considering she wears like an armor on top, I don't think belts are needed anymore.

ujUdkJI.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Could use surface noise, depending on the material. Everything is feeling really sleek and shiny.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I will probably add them in last after everything's set in stone. Or maybe in dDO during texturing.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    HighRes Render. Put those surface details on Layers.
    Rlqd300.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing baking of the low poly. There's problem with her knee topology though :(
    jTUlgN7.png