Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Arcade Syndra

Replies

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I play syndra a lot, and I really like this concept!
    Great work on the model!
    Looking forward to seeing the finished piece
  • Hekutor
    Ty for the comments, now some answers.

Khronos- Ty mate, I intend to pose her with transpose master, I think it will be way quicker, I just want some poses for the presentation images and not for animating her.

Sukotto- Ty, I modelled the ball using actual cubes in MAX and following a reference of a ball made with legos I found on internet, then I made a simple retopo and baked texture and lights form the high poly version. For the UVs I decided to make planar projections of the sides to not get deformations and be able to select squares easy if I want to color specific ones or something like that.

Nerf Bat Ninja- Ty for spending some time on trying to help and advise me, I think the only way to solve this is asking in the Q&A thread. Let's hope everything is ok, if not, I guess it's not going to be that difficult to change the arcade stuff for other things, never as cool as the originals...
  • Hekutor
    I still have no answer to my question about the pacman copyright and all that stuff. I don't know if I will have to change it or not but I've done some poses and map tests while I'm waiting. Still playing around with some things. I'm going to do a test making a ball with bigger pixels to see if it looks better or not.

Again, sorry for the image quality...

ch8AODkAf1cV41wLRYtPWFctU4CHwIJyYTye7rVjoDU=w1598-h724-no

ScenarioComp1.jpg

ScenarioComp2.jpg

YcEezCsmw-OtFBc73qE5-8L2E-qSd8sdja56ZT3p-AU=w1444-h865-no
  • Hekutor
    Here I have the new balls, I think they look way better than the other ones. They have that retro silhouette I was looking for. The pictures have low quality but the balls read well at distance now.

I'll keep doing tests and trying to improve things while waiting for an answer about the copyright, they seem a bit busy right now ^^

NewPixelBalls.jpg

NewBallsDistanceTest.jpg
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    I loove them balls.
    Yeah, read so much better now.

Awesome stuff, man. You really nailed the look of the arcade style.
    Congrats on finishing your entries, if those copyrighted stuff is no problem..
  • Heat3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Heat3d polycounter lvl 4
    Great textures) Cool skin for Syndra. I guess Riot should release that skin for players :)
  • ArtLearner
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtLearner polycounter lvl 3
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    the copyright issue can be easily avoid by simply changing a color, or a form, or position. For example miss fortune got zapper and a game boy on her, but they swap the dpad with the a/b button and add big buttons on the zapper so it still looks like the original but it's not. Just like she has mario cap in a different color. Arcade hecarim is unicorn robot attack and guitar hero, but it's not the guitar shape and the unicorn isn't the same so no copyright issue their etc.
  • Enalya
    This is great man, she looks really solid in game. Seems to me they could go ahead and release her right away like this. I wish you good luck :)
  • Hekutor
    I was actually waiting because they were answering questions relatively fast, but they stopped just right after I asked mine, what a casualty.

Odow, I'm going to do exactly what you said, I think it's the best option and it seems the right way to go. This is how I thought I can change things, I changed the color and form of the space invader and I made like a color division on pacman, that one is a bit more difficult to change without losing the character.

Here is the paintover, I might change the colors but this is the idea.

ArcadeSyndraCopyrightSolutions.jpg
  • Hekutor
    I made some changes, still playing arround with the designs. I might get better ideas later on...

CopyrightChanges.jpg
  • haZe
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    This is looking ace! Fun colors, clean textures, and a good balance of elements and shapes.
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    It's awesome that you have reworked the pixel balls, they read perfectly now! Really nice and colorful design!
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Agree, the pixels stand out more on those balls. Overall idea and model looking great. :)
  • Hekutor
    I've been doing some tests for the high poly beauty shots, it's gonna be something along this lines...

SyndraHPRenders.jpg
  • hypronost
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost polycounter lvl 6
    I love this. Excellent work!
    She fits in perfectly with Miss Fortune and Sona.

Really good job !
  • RoadKill2222
    This is so awesome! Honestly I think this is my favorite so far. I would buy this so hard if they added it to the game. I don't even play Syndra but I'd have to have it. Beautiful work!
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I love this! Great work, and if it were a skin I'd definitely buy it! :)
  • Kazefield
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
    It looks so awesome ! :D Good job
  • lasoob
    Offline / Send Message
    lasoob polycounter lvl 8
    I frikkin love this! Such bright saturated colours. Awesome work man!
  • Sundaynights
    I guess you should send your CV and application along with your entry ;) you are allready working like a pro!
  • Hekutor
    Thanks for your kind words guys, I don't care if I win or not anymore, I'm happy knowing that people enjoy my work, and some of them would even buy it jaja.

I recently got the new assassins creed so I'm gonna do what I always do, stop working on the model for some days and then come back with fresh eyes to see if I can tweak something and finish it.

Here is the last update on the poses image, with the new balls and some model tweaks too.

SyndraPoses2.jpg
  • ethwaites
    I was looking forward to this one from the start and I can definitely say you've exceeded my expectations for how awesome this skin could be. I want to see this one in game so badly. Amazing work!
  • Hekutor
    Ok these are the pictures I prepared following the deliverables list. Still gonna wait a couple of days before sending them to see if I can make some final super definitive tweaks.

hector-teruel-subira-lpsingleshot.jpg?1417312587

hector-teruel-subira-lpbeautyshotposes.jpg?1417312373

hector-teruel-subira-hpbeautyshot.jpg?1417312673

hector-teruel-subira-mapcompsshot.jpg?1417312297

hector-teruel-subira-constructionshot.jpg?1417312370
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Firstly i want to say that 9,999 tri's is hilarious as a reference to video games (FF nerd here).
    and I know I was kinda giving some flack for the vest design, but all in all this came out really nice. Great job man. I think you have a very good chance of winning this :)
  • Aleksandra Kosenko
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleksandra Kosenko polycounter lvl 3
  • Hekutor
    Thanks D_Wall, really appreciate that. And I gotta say that when I was doing the very last optimisation tweaks yesterday and I saw the 9.999 triangle count I started to laugh too for the same reason as you, never thought someone would point it out and you got it at the first comment haha.
  • Rambo4you
    Offline / Send Message
    Rambo4you polycounter lvl 10
    Oh wow man, I don't know whats up with the level of talent in this competition, another job well done. If I would see that skin in game I wouldn't doubt for a second that it's an actual riot game skin. Looks really epic, very well use of the texture and so on. But you probably know that yourself. Well done well done.
  • Hekutor
    Someone knows if we can send more pictures than those requested in their deliverables list?

Because I also made like a turnaround shot which I think is an important one, but I also like the picture with the poses you know...

hector-teruel-subira-lpbeautyshotturntable.jpg?1417320844
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    Why not both turnaround and poses? Use a pose that best shows off the shape and silhouette of your model from each angle?

And come on, you're in a community of nerds here man! ;P
    (though idk how popular FF is among polycount...
  • Hekutor
    I have already thought about that option but I was indecisive about which pose should I use for each angle so being able to send more than 4 pictures would be more convenient but I guess the best way to go is just making that turnaround mixed with poses. I'll see how it looks...

And thanks again D_Wall, I'm new at this kind of forums but I'm enjoying the experience. Loving this feedback and opinions from people who are talented artists as well.
  • Hekutor
    I think the turnaround is even better now. But I still like that front view of the three poses though...

hector-teruel-subira-lpbeautyshot.jpg?1417931167
  • Hekutor
    I decided to make a more consistent presentation using the same format for all the images. This is not an important update but I want to have them here in my polycount thread.

hector-teruel-subira-lpbeautyshot.jpg?1418757134

hector-teruel-subira-hpbeautyshot.jpg?1418757161

hector-teruel-subira-compositeshot.jpg?1418757143

hector-teruel-subira-constructionshot.jpg?1418757152
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    I think this has to be my favorite of all.. well done man!
  • hypronost
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost polycounter lvl 6
    Excellent work. And I agree with jmiles. One of my favorites.
  • K-O-S
    I absolutely love the colors and design! Congrats and well done!
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Wow! Epic design - great concept and execution. My congratulations!
  • Sntinel
    Hi Hecutor
    So nice work. Can you tell me how can I do the lowpoly? I have a lot of subtools and I cant find any tutorial that work :S

Thx
  • Hekutor
    Ty Sntinel.

I don't know your level so I'm going to make an average explanation. To do the low poly version of your model you basically have to rebuild the entire model from scratch following the form of your high poly model but this time using a lot less polygons, this process is called "retopology". A lot of programs have some tools to make this process easier snapping your new polygons to the high poly model surface. You can do this on Maya, Max or even Zbrush but I like to use a program called 3D coat. I'm sure if you search in youtube a tutorial using the word "retopology" you'll find a lot of good ones.

To solve the problem of the subtools you have some nice plugins in ZBrush like Subtool Master and Decimation Master. The first one will help you to merge the subtools you want together before exporting them as an obj to retopo as a single object in your retopology software. The second one will lower the polycount of your high poly model by a lot without loosing form and volume, that will help your retopology software to handle the high poly mesh.

I know it's a vague explanation but I think it's enough for you to start looking for tutorials in a more specific way. Hope it helps.
  • Sntinel
    Thx a lot Hekutor!

I appreciate it so much! You can see my "level" on my proposal its called "Yasuo forgotten forest" but you have to know that it is my very first work on any sculpture so, be kind. I have only 3 weeks since I get zbrush and I had to learn all the stuff by my own so thanx a lot for your advice and I hope you to see my work :)
  • SteVAI
    I love this model! Very funny, cute, very stylish!
  • Pimpwad
    Hey Hekutor,
    Just wanted to tell you your model is beautiful and amazing. Also, wanted to ask you if you will upload your model to a model viewer, such as Sketchfab. :)