Home Technical Talk

Maya - Character Skeleton - Standard practice?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Actorx polycounter lvl 4
Hello!
I've noticed a gap in my knowledge about character rigging and common practice for in game characters and I don't really know where else to pose the question.

I'm curious why in most character rigs there are bones going from the root to the ankles as well as from the root to the primary hand. I've done a lot of searching around trying to find out what it's called but it always is omitted like it's just common practice and everyone should know why it's done already lol.

RootMotionAppliedBone.jpg

That's an example from UE4's documentation.
I already have my fully realized character as seen below, and i've already got a decent skeleton hierarchy set up for our in game needs, but I'm just trying to find out if this is absolutely necessary or if it actually makes things easier. ph7lBmF

Replies

• Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Those are IK bones, used for procedural animation in the engine. FK chains sometimes drift away from their expected position, for example when holding a weapon with two hands, so IK bones are used to ensure they stay in the right location.

There was a presentation with the Fortnite developers talking about their animation workflow. Should be on Epic's Twitch and Youtube channels.