Home Technical Talk

windows c drive getting filled up after using maya? Need a pc expert...

Travis C
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Travis C polycounter lvl 8
Everytime after I use maya, my C drive on Windows 8.1 gradually gets bigger and bigger. At least I suspect it is caused by me using maya.

I've deleted the crash save files in the appdata folder whenever maya crashes, so it's not that.

Is there some extra data being saved somewhere that I don't know about? I started out with having like 10GB free space on my C drive. Now I only have not even 1 GB of space free.
I don't have any games installed on this computer as I only use maya, zbrush, and adobe stuff mainly. Also I view online stream shows.

I used CCleaner and still it doesn't solve the problem. The reason why I ask here is because I suspect that it's caused by maya, or some other 3d related software, but I'm not 100% sure.
I keep trying to delete stuff but space keeps getting filled up.

I save all my stuff, videos, music, and set projects onto another ssd drive, so it's not due to my saved files.

I don't know if this helps, but I used spacesniffer and got this result:

Capture3.PNG?dl=0
Capture3.PNG?dl=0

Replies

• Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    well from what you posted I] dont see how maya is [making any large temp files. if your c drive is getting full and [you have another ssd with some spare room 4-6gb then i would move your page file over there
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    If I may suggest you a better way to evaluate the space occupied in your drive, there is a software called TreeSizeFree, available in portable version too, that can display in a more comprehensible way what's occupying your disk space.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Anyway, by looking at the diagram you can start by uninstalling Maya 2014 (if you have not compatibility needs), disable the Hibernation function (if is not vital for you) and if I not mistaking, you still have the installer for your Autodesk products in your C: drive, the folder is called Autodesk, buckup them in another drive if you need to.
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Travis C polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for the suggestions. I endeded up disabling system restore, which freed up 32GB.
    also tried to clear some stuff out of appdata folder.
    however.... i dont know why but now suddenly like half my maya scenes (.ma files)wont open. ;(
    im guessing it's some 2015 bug. im so mad. anyone here know of this strange issue?
    or have suggestions to open my ma file? it was working fine earlier today.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Try restoring the stuff to the appdata folder.
    That's a shared resource folder used by a lot of programs for things they need to function correctly.
    Unless you are absolutely certain of what you're removing, that folder is best left alone.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving appdata to other directory, while can be done, requires quite a lot of hacking. You can search google for instructions but unless you're a tech-savy I don't recommend it.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    That's one of the folder you have to leave as it is, some applications stores your preferences there. Is it usually safe to delete the stuff inside it, when you uninstall the specific application the refer to.

A solution would be to completely remove your Maya folder inside AppData, and start the software, it should regenerate it with the files it needs, or delete it and reinstall Maya.

Before doing so, backup it in a safe place or 7zip it.