Home Technical Talk

The future of texture resolutions using 4k monitors.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
I have a question about 4k monitors.

Generally, for most games, say an FPS, 512 pixels per meter seems to be the standard.

Will this need to be doubled in the future as we migrate over to 4k resolution monitors?

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    That is incredibly subjective.

But texture resolution will increase at a rate that is dictated by technology and the products put out by those creating them.

So the only answer is, it doesn't have to, but it will as technology flows.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The other thing you'll likely start seeing, as is happening with some of the new unreal stuff, is more multi level texturing. You'll have some textures for large scale things, and smaller, more tileable, detail maps for material definition when you get closer. So rather than just continuously increasing resolution, which has a direct memory requirement, the techniques for applying the textures are changing.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    The trend goes more and more towards using tiling, layered materials for almost everything. Don't think we will use much higher resolution textures necessarely but more close up details via the materials.
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Textures won't be so important, we will focus on materials. Crazy blendings of many, tiny textures and masks in shaders. I just wait for "warm edges" node in UE, I bet It will appear soon.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    I see how the procedural approach to texturing will become more of the norm, similar to offline rendering.

But, what about assets like characters; where they have to be baked from hi-poly?

You guys think 8k maps might become more common place?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    same answer really. masked tiling detail maps on characters are pretty common. as is doing highly detailed parts like hair as a separate element from the base texture. no more blurry eyebrows. :)