Home Digital Sketchbooks

5heepman's Digital Sketchbook

vertex
Offline / Send Message
5heepman vertex
Howdy howdy howdy!

I'm just getting into digital sculpture, hoping to refine my hand to a point where I can enter the videogame industry as a 3D modeler (although my ultimate goal is to work independently). Unfortunately, I'm a 3rd year college student and only now realizing the sheer depth of what I still need to uncover.

My background is more in the fine arts, so my perspective is a little different. I'm also doing some 3D scanning work - I'll be sure to explain what is what for each image.

Anyway, I could use advice on basically everything - workflow, presentation, modeling, rendering, compositing, retopology, texturing, so if you've got something to say, please say it.

Replies

• 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    if8sf5Z.png

aYrIYqD.png

3D sculpt in Mudbox. Rendered in Blender (cycles).
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    gxqtugq.png

SYaTNfY.png

• 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    Vv8ITwT.png

NncaUkW.png

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey pal! nice stuff!
    as for your question about advice, it all depends on what you're trying to make. I think the most important part is to think ahead on what you're about to make. Is this going to be for a game? whats my target poly count? etc etc.
    Keep posting though I'm looking forward to your stuff.
    PS: I'm also from Dallas! you should go to the Local drinkups for the IDGA and meet some people
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    Danke!

Right now I'm trying to get used to digitally sculpting, more than anything - I haven't been thinking too hard about target polycounts / other technical questions like that. It's more like: should teeth be a separate object? Is my anatomy believable/accurate? Is this how I should be displaying it?

But I would definitely like to be making game-ready stuff. But I'll start keeping track of triangles, if that's important information. And i know that I have to think about getting these wrapped to low-poly forms, but I'm gonna deal with that after I get more comfy in Mudbox, I think.

I don't drink myself, but the IDGA does sound like a good idea.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    V4yrn1c.png

YxVvZod.png

6sSAdmA.png

Clay sculpt. Scanned in Scanstudio, rendered in Blender.

Lord, was this ever a wrestle to scan. And then I spend a silly amount of time building a low-poly body for it, that didn't really function to mask any holes. It just feels good to have it off of my hands at this point.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    saju8Zj.png

pi4sVR0.png

Finished watching diebuster, and really wanted to do something quick related to that, so here's an imagined BUSTER MASHEEN. He has dreadlocks.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    sZoCttG.png

wtv4QVM.png

zy5rRGZ.png

Been messing around with rendering a bit. These are experiments, to figure out in what way I can display my sculpture - I printed these out on some faded newsprint, which softened them up, made them look much more organic. It was a really lovely effect actually - I might start doing more of them.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    n3pMwug.png

VsPBZTr.png

Little doodle, trying to get used to 3D space. Digital sculpting has been slow going, especially compared to my clay work. I feel really weird working this way - I assume it's just a matter of not being used to it, and the more I work the looser I get. It might also be my work-flow. I'm trying to build everything from primitives (cubes), but I see some people building a low-poly base mesh to work from, or even using a 'default body' that they skew and contort before sculpting. Not sure about each method - the latter sounds like some kind of cheating. But I saw a Riot employee doing it that way, soo...
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    TROZy2i.png

7njgmh3.png

Yeah, these feel super clumsy. I've switched from Mudbox to Blender, cause of dynamic topology, but it means my stuff always looks low-poly when I'm working on it, and sometimes that makes it hard to figure out my dimensions.

Also, everything seems too fat. Tips and tricks are always welcome, especially when it comes to workflow.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    4eMAe2G.png

tam8vLW.png

Sculpted and rendered in Blender.

Definitely still clumsy sculpting. I think I'm zooming in way to fast on detail areas - and then the whole sculpt looks wonky, and then I smooth it all over out of frustration. Also, Blender's default material makes it really hard to see what's going on, but sculpting with the full lighting on lags - gotta figure out a solution.
  • 5heepman
  • 5heepman
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    9NxzSNu.png

Digital material really is a media all of its own.

Also snake hook is the best thing ever.
  • 5heepman
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    6nP7hQi.png

u6JSzJ4.png

Doing high-poly stuff as well. My machine, unfortunately, is a laptop so my polycount does have a pretty hard cap though. Which is annoying both because that makes sculpting the finer ropes of flesh trickier, but also because sculpting a smooth surface just feels super good.

I think I can tweak a bit more polys out of these, but I am definitely a little worried about how hi-res my portfolio pieces can actually be.

On a high note though, this guy is miles better than my earlier figures. Yay progress!
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    Xt4kFpq.png

iJuQk5J.png

KVmkp7O.png

z7ZS9sF.png

I seem to have found a way to quickly generate these figures! They are actually sourced from the sculpture above, with the help of an armature and several modifiers.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    q0C9uhK.png

WOWaWDt.png

Looking into getting a copy of ZBrush, cause jeez I'm a senior in college and I still need to get into that program. In the meantime I am still doing high-poly sculpts, it's just that these are more interesting.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    aQ8OOaR.png

3T4kgSR.png

5CEZnYH.png

13alD1w.png

IEcp8gR.png

jCGObiy.png

xdrbArc.png

jv2P2eX.png

LxP9z95.png

eDVM4yN.png

TRbxgpQ.png

2SGC0c9.png

Building these from a longsword manual I found. Really satisfying to render - the environment is inspired by the Giant's Chamber from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
  • foog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foog null
    I cant find the words to explain why i enjoy your sculptures so much but they are super appealing to me. Anyway keep it up, this stuff is awesome.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    Thanks! Glad you dig them. More is definitely on the way, now that I've nailed down the process I can move a bit quicker.

TaJrqnq.png

BnWAsit.png

iVjNGYi.png

RlgkagN.png

fm1RZSp.png

dXFzoQH.png

Gave a few new colors a whirl, not sure I like them better than the gold. These sculptures are the same as some of the previous, just destroyed further. It can be hard to decide how much I want to tear up the sculpture - right now I'm keeping them at the 1000 face mark, but these here are closer to 300.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex
    g3PMKYw.png

aonrfeH.png

OjrPZd9.png

Changed back towards the yellows.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex

I think normal uploading is broken? I had to do this through HTML, usually I can just use the [img] tags. Also the editing interface is weirdly double-spaced now?
    Anyway, brought out a new shader. Glass surface, emmision volume - it let me get pretty dark in the environment, which I appreciate. They remind me a bit of the bodies from SUPERHOT.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex

More Zbrush practice. I'm in a really weird ( and frustrating ) place with the body right now. I think I have some hang-ups on building a 'proper' body, in the sense of proportions and a certain conformity to the accepted themes of bodies in high-poly space. But there's a lot of frustration in that. Maybe it's just part of the process, I have to work through it - but I am tempted to start moving away from the hard logic of human figures, focusing instead on the joining of muscle and bone, and the weight of mass, and just building new bodies out of those forms.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex

Working on a new album cover, this is one of the process shots. Array + build modifiers.
  • 5heepman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5heepman vertex

Yeahhh, album cover is done. Check out the EP for free here. It's a series of remixes/covers - influences and samples from FZERO, Metroid, Chrono Trigger. Pretty great stuff.

It took me forever to get the text to cooperate - i'm still on the fence with it. I didn't really plan the rest of the image around the text, so it ends up feeling a little stuck-on. Gotta plan typography earlier in the future.