Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook - Ncav

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ncav polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys,

I'm a second year student studying arts. I started it July last year so I will post some stuff from last year to get started then work from this year as it comes.

Godspeed.

Replies

• ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    So this is the sculpt for a character I made for my character modelling assignment in first year. There are things I would change looking back for sure, the legs in particular but that's how it goes. I do like the toad on his belt but... I'll probably reuse that idea in the future.

QZJgSqp.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    This was a quick concept sculpt I made in class one day for a creature I later made properly and turned in to a game character. I had fun.

Patsisq.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Anyway I won the award for best character so I was pretty stoked. I would like to change the eyes and the mouth if I could but I don't really want to revisit it...

• ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Concepted out this luchadore fella this afternoon and got started on the sculpt. I don't normally do cartoon guys but I like it so far.

8y2Na1m.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Made some fixes, need to do a decent head / mask and that's pretty well it.

bstCexa.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Oh yeah a bit like Johnny Bravo is kind of how I'd like to pose him in the end.
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    So I meant to get around to finishing this guy as a fully textured game character the past few days but I spent most my time practising traditional clay sculpting alongside anatomy studies. I did spend a little time finishing up the sculpt though and am pretty happy with the stylised look.  Also just did a quick zremesh with 4r7 and god dam did they improve it... Obviously the face is a write off and he needs better joint topology as well as some poly count reduction and improved edgeflow but as a base to work with it's pretty amazing how good zremesher has become...

ZKOt3aMpng

QUFVuQIpng
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Really like the first character
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks dude, I can't look at the legs without cringing but haha.
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah true but the torso seems good and his face is cool !
    Just give him a pants :p
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Did this study last night, was pretty exhausted so could have done more, I was just over study for that day to be honest...

zY8ZpSz.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't updated this sketchbook in a while. I had a good two weeks where I just had a mental block. Was banging my head against a wall with everything I did and trashed mostly all of it. Anyway I am through that now. Did this alien speed sculpt in class then rendered him out as pretty as I could. Also tried to teach myself how to make hand painted textures from sculpts. I have never tried to do hand painted style textures before. Don't really have it down but it's a start. Sculpting wood was something different to what I have done in the past.

PzFkZ03.png
    FVoixAU.png
    jn8TlyF.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Working on something for a new group project. Will be a statue of Poseidon in the end. Anway spent the past day and a half rough out this. Now just need to add a face, make a zsphere rig, pose, resculpt, and refine, and all by Wednesday so I can stay well ahead of the curve. Agh so much to do! At least the final pose isn't that crazy and shouldnt require a hug amount of changing. Really trying to get the super evident thoracic arch you see in Greek sculpture.

kwEYmoJ.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't posted in a while. Some Wips, the gobbo is for lokk development for a project with a buddy, will fix up the presentation later, maybe even paint proper skin maps and render in keyshot or something. The other dude is an older screengrab of a statue I'm making for class, done the retopo just have to uv this afternoon. I don't love it but I'm over it and want to move on to something fresh.

NKCdOGg.png
    vcFPBVv.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Doing retopo on some things atm but that is kind of boring to post... here's a zbrush doodle. Finding I have a tendency to make eyes and noses the same on creatures. Will have to break that habit next speed sculpt.

43HkBbB.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't updated in a little bit so this was where the statue more or less ended up. Not entirely happy with it, the pose is derpy and boring but good practice I suppose. Few issues with seams that need my attention but few more important things going on atm.

eyt0fVa.png
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    I like the idea, the pose can be better yes but this should kick ass at the end :)
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't updated in a while, this was how that statue turned out way back - vq7jafT.png

Also a character sculpt I started a few days back. Very much a wip. Will have beard and wispy hair ect, meant to be Hephaestus.

2NAC1N6.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Character WIP for class. Need to finish skin maps, add hair and a toga style piece of drapery. Really just wanted to get stuck in to figuring out skin for now but. Z9y9JhC.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Giant I am making mostly for lols. Not much time gone in to it at this point. Pretty happy with how much faster I am becoming.
    Y18BxWx.png
    Yjj8m4Z.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Haha so I look back at that old man sculpt and all I can think is about how much it sucks... Oh well I guess that's how it goes? Here's the final character submitted it a while ago just never posted. There's alot that I hate but I think my understanding of skin improved and I can mostly identify what sucks so that's good?

Also finally got more time to figure out that giant a little. Spent a long ass time doing retopology on him today but again it really developed my understanding of a few things. Still need to figure out a few things on the sculpt (his back is a little confused), maybe I'll start a thread.

An01nrj.png

je4qtzy.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Just a note it's kind of uplifting to look at this sketchbook (where I don't even post most things) and see how much some things suck. Kind of a downer but if I can see things that I couldn't see before then I am improving. So long as I am improving I can hold my head up.
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Recent male base mesh sculpt, much improvement.

CTPjvSA.png
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    ncav wrote: »
    Just a note it's kind of uplifting to look at this sketchbook (where I don't even post most things) and see how much some things suck. Kind of a downer but if I can see things that I couldn't see before then I am improving. So long as I am improving I can hold my head up.
    Yeah, it's better to look at how far you have come (compared to your own work) than how long you have to go (compared to others).

I probably don't mean much coming from but I think you have gotten a really good grasp at anatomy in your latest work. Would be interesting to see you do more clothed character in the future :)
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Cheers dude :) I need to make some clothed characters atm actually thought they will only be quite small on screen. Pretty keen to get stuck in to learning marvellous designer ect come the end of the study year, things are a little hectic atm.
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't updated in a while, done loads of different stuff some of which I can't show. Oh well I fixed up this one recently just to get a feel for how my composition skills have improved.

T4uwayH.png
  • ncav
    Offline / Send Message
    ncav polycounter lvl 5
    Done a couple of quick turnaround probs lately. 

• Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13