Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Phantom Assassin - Look Me in the Eyes set

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
Hey hey,
I had quite a bit of fun working on the concept for this. Here is the original Phantom Assasin for reference:
phantom_assassin_original.jpg

Getting started with this set. I can always throw in some bits from the other concept variants. I'm not totally happy with the weapon or the back of the shoulders yet so I'll be tweaking that when modeling. The parts on the gloves and boots will be part of the shoulders and belt if I can make that happen and if it looks decent in the end.
phantom_assassin_concept.jpg

Some of the other variants:
phantom_assassin_concept_variants.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, and update! Done with most of the base modeling. I still have a few little things to do. I altered the design a bit where I thought it needed it as well as where things need to be altered to accommodate the original pieces. I'm still not happy with the weapon design. I want to make something different for the other end that isn't a mirror of the back. I have a couple ideas I need to sit down and sketch out.
    phantom_assassin_base_model.jpg

Next up... some zbrushing.
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good so far, she looks brutal! :D
  • Beezow
    are you actually modeling huge tits onto her or did you somehow modify the base model?

Is this somehow related to the project name, "look me in the eyes"?
  • Futashia
    he modelled the tits!!!!!! +1
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, done with the high res model:
    phantom_assassin_highRes.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

"are you actually modeling huge tits onto her or did you somehow modify the base model?

Is this somehow related to the project name, "look me in the eyes"?"

They aren't actually huge, but they are on a floating mesh over the original geometry, which was fairly flat. And yeah, the name was a pretty ham-fisted name until I think of something better. I still don't really have a good name for the set but I'm calling it Blind Sister for now.

So My original idea with all the face shields was something along the lines of the Force training helmet in Star Wars. Although in the case of this sect of the sisterhood, they are actually blind and have to rely on other senses, making them an even more frightening foe! Perhaps their eyes are actually gouged out.
  • JGcount
    Shit that highpoly is sexy. Really like the beefy yet feminine look.

The weapon, though, I feel has the typical zbrush scratch syndrome. Too many scratches, that are of the same size and equal spread.
  • foeffa
    Omg. Love tits .. err I mean this. :D
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the comments!

"The weapon, though, I feel has the typical zbrush scratch syndrome. Too many scratches, that are of the same size and equal spread."

Totally! Glad you noticed that thanks. The weapon was the first thing I did so I was trying to get the right look and brushes going. I just redid the blade. I also added trim to the cape that I forgot. I may redo the sword handle as well.
    phantom_assassin_highRes_v2.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a polish pass on the high res and baked out all the lighting and normal maps.
    phantom_assassin_highRes_V3.jpg
    in toolbag:
    phantom_assassin_gameMesh.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done with the textures. I'm working on LODs at the moment and have to figure out how the masks work.
    phantom_assassin_gameMesh_color.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, tested the first piece in-game:
    darkSister_helm.jpg
    It seems kind of tricky to get all the pieces visible together but I may try that later this week.
  • foeffa
    Looks really promising. :) Hope that I can get this set for Mortred in the future.
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really nice! I like how you made the shoulderpads, matching with the design of her bracers :)
  • iRYO400
    looks great! i will follow your thread!
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I just finished getting everything done in time... for a 2 week extension! Haha, I guess I'll start on a new set. Unlikely I can finish another one in 2 weeks but I'll at least get started. There are a couple clipping issues with the shoulders so I will play around with the weighting to see if I can fix it with some small tweaks, if not I'll adjust the geometry a bit. I'll upload the set either tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: looking at everything together with shaders and whatnot, I have to tone down that belt buckle. Too bright at the moment.

Cheers!

darkSister_set.jpg
  • D.Dragoon
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks D.Dragoon, as well as everyone that commented and gave feedback along the way!

I forgot to post the finished set here yesterday.

On Steam

darkSister_final.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    I've gotten quite a few comments about the scale of the shoulders and helmet so I did a test scaling those down and making the hair bunching less drastic. Curious if anyone has a preference. The original is on the right.

scaleTest.jpg

I'm pretty ambivalent about it. My thoughts on making things exaggerated is for the sake of showing up better as in-game perspecive. Any opinions?
    Thanks!
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Don't have much of an opinion on the hair, either one seems to read well enough ingame.

Regarding the shoulders: the new one loses a lot of that thick bulkiness that made the set as a whole stand out.

But if you are wondering about the older ones breaking her silhouette too much then scaling them down the way you have (with the size and rotations of the upper plates) works well. But I think it would be better if you get a nice half way zone between the two.
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    The bigger ones look better. Always do it for the sake of the in-game perspective, it is the most important. Also, did you take the screenshots with the game maxed out? Some screenshots look like you have lower text resolution, or is it just the resolution of the running game itself?

Excellent work by the way :)
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    What i just found interesting is the above ingame images are the first time i have been able to see this set from the gameplay perspective, and you know it makes a huge difference.

I like your set, some of the design is pretty edgy in its bulkyness and to be honest i was still wavering on the line wondering if the bulk was to much. But seeing it from the in game perspective instantly showed me that the bulk looks awesome and really works. Love it.
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria wrote: »
    Don't have much of an opinion on the hair, either one seems to read well enough ingame.

Regarding the shoulders: the new one loses a lot of that thick bulkiness that made the set as a whole stand out.

But if you are wondering about the older ones breaking her silhouette too much then scaling them down the way you have (with the size and rotations of the upper plates) works well. But I think it would be better if you get a nice half way zone between the two.

Thanks. I went with moving the shoulders in and scaling the end in some so they aren't so wide. I think it looks a bit more comfortable and still reads from a distance. The hair I ended up making a bit less bunched but is mostly the same.

"The bigger ones look better. Always do it for the sake of the in-game perspective, it is the most important. Also, did you take the screenshots with the game maxed out? Some screenshots look like you have lower text resolution, or is it just the resolution of the running game itself?

Excellent work by the way "

Thank you! I wound up pulling the shoulders in some but leaving them at scale so they aren't as wide looking.

Lennyagony - Thanks! I'm ready to move on to something new now.

It was fun to make this. I think the next one I can focus on the art and design more now that I know the process and tech stuff. It's funny how many mistakes and things when I went back over all the assets.

edit: I updated my final image with the latest updates.
  • agentfx
    Great job this set is awesome! Best one I've seen for the PA.
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks!

Someone asked about the trim stuff and I thought it would be easier to show with some images. I used the same means for making the trim on the helmet and weapon. I don't know if this is useful to anyone or the best way to go about it but it got the job done. I tried just masking the geometry and extruding and sculpting but it looked pretty wobbly and half-assed.

step1.jpg
    Drew out trim in 3D coat.
    step2.jpg
    step3.jpg
    Convert to dynamesh and subtract base shoulder geometry. (dynamesh uses airtight meshes)
    step4.jpg
    Add solid dynamesh trim to solid dynamesh base.
    step5.jpg
    Do some sculpting:
    step6.jpg