• Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    This is awesome! What it really lacks is some kind of Subsurface scattering in the plants. They look darn dead. I dont know how to achieve, but it would really help the scene to get some more life!
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
    thanks acapulco, I love your work on air borne by the way

yeah, i have a bit on it now...i will have to try and bump it up, and now that i now the whole thing with the color look up tables in udk may ( hopefully it will fix a lot )
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2enmemf.jpg

And no, i didnt copy the other mech arm on the boards :)
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkingdeadfull.jpg

Done maybe. I dunno, I'm kinda happy with it.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    looks like he's trying to swim on the grass and has his head up for some air.
  • MR_Verkerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:)

Update.jpg
  • LeoJr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Max and Mudbox (for texturing, didn't sculpt), supposed to look like it belongs with UT3's Ronin. Took about two weeks to this point.RedMiria_MB_01p.jpg
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Another gun for my portfolio. Based on a concept art from the Borderlands game. High poly is almost done. I'll post other views later (my comp renders so slow).

revolver.jpg
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Great looking gun Boyluya!

Some zsphere doodle i did today:

fnt.jpg

Also needed some advice, i originaly planned on making him into some goblin type character but after playing abit with polypaint before ending this session i felt like testing a different direction, some sort of sickly albino demon type thing... This is only like a 5min paint test but would like som input. Anyone think it would be a cool direction to take it in?

fnt_test.jpg
  • prolow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prolow polycounter lvl 11
    finished texture work, now anim WIP
    fishbowlsymbolsWIP-1.jpg
  • yoyomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yoyomon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice stuff!

LeoJr: It's looking pretty good. You should probably rethink the hair banes though. At first I thought she was wearing a hat.

Nice assets prolow. Goldfish are my fav.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    @Prolow
    You sure you're finished texturing? The skeleton is rather flat...

LeoJr wrote: »
    Max and Mudbox (for texturing, didn't sculpt), supposed to look like it belongs with UT3's Ronin. Took about two weeks to this point.
    You've got the team style looking pretty ace, little to comment on that. The only thing I'd suggest is giving the mesh a less red gray, instead using more yellow or blue even.
    Currently, the whole has a warm feel to it, and it needs some cooler colors to contrast.

Also, the texture still feels too painterly for UT with the creases painted in black and in general looking a bit fuzzy and showing brush strokes, but I assume that's because it's still WIP.

@ Verkerk
    Make sure to give the sun a warm feeling, this should look nice in contrast with a cooler color in the tunnels. Not sure about the concrete ceiling. What state is the tunnel in, is it being built, in use, or abandoned?
    The ceiling suggests they still need to tile it, place a trashcan in the removed tile, hang up a sign in the back etc. There's also no trash but that's due to WIP
    On the other hand, most of the surfaces appear finished and there's a bit of dirt on them, so it looks somewhat used, though as of yet lacking trash, clutter, props.
    On the third hand, that one tile looks like it's supposed to be broken. But none of the other floortiles show any damage.
    Lastly, that one yellow cornertile is a bit repetetive.

@Papa Austin:
    Looks really nice, though it feels a bit too yellow/orange. There's also some really blue plants in the bottom right. Perhaps unify the plant colours a bit more to a medium green? Also, translucency would be a huge boon to this scene indeed.

@breakneck:
    Like it a lot. Love that you modeled in the rear tracks, makes it a lot more real. Though some parts (seat, front wheels, hood). If you're not willing to go for a higher polycount, you could save some tris by making the wheel hubs with alpha planes (if you're not already), those holes look like they cost a bunch of polies.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    prolow
    That's cute lol :)
    Well yea I agree with Snader for now it looks flat, probably bake in some AO map and multiply it onto your texture will improve on your "flatness" issue.

_Revel
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    that's fantastic prolow!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    trying to get sum of my mojo and motivation back:
    redux on this dude (under 700tris)
    fook01.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Millenia wrote: »
    Pinching on the high poly I guess, will try to fix em with PS when I can be arsed

Have you got a link to that FFVII retexturing project?
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Desert Rat Bertie's RPG (concept Ashley Wood)

Normals, AO, 3 point shader <3 !

WWR_rpg_NAO3p.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    mittari_w1.jpg

Have you got a link to that FFVII retexturing project?

http://forums.qhimm.com

Lots of FF modding over there
  • MR_Verkerk
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Papa_Austin, prolow: nice colors!

Guess what?
    I did an art test for Ankama wich led me to a job interview:

ab45b1a4b1e80d22ae817949ecf69.jpg
    But, guess what?
    They finally hired someone with a lot more of experience.

What you guys think about this?

Sorry to be a bit acid, but im disapointed by how they test and interview junior and senior artist for the same job...

but right now, Im working on an old project
    c9a8af801849247b6ababf99509bc.jpg
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    The test turned out great!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    cherub04.jpg

Trying to refine this. The last version was a bit nonsensical in terms of structure as I found out when trying to make a blockout model.
  • LeoJr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    @ yoyoman: Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not entirely sure what can I do with it at this point short of remodeling these parts altogether... Any ideas?

@snader: I see what you mean with the warm gray, I'll make it cooler on the next pass. Also agree with it being too painterly still.... I'll pay closer attention to it next time I go in. Prolly remove all the black lines and add crisper texturing on the metallic parts.

Thanks for the help!
  • prolow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prolow polycounter lvl 11
    Holi: great work!, better luck job hunts
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto: beautiful refinements in terms of the read on the surface changes, i feel like i could confidently model it just from that image. really believable detailing, and the NZ manufacture cracks me up.
    just curious, is this to be like a vestgun/hold out pistol or what? is it a slug thrower or something more esoteric?

as for me, to all those who said "gauss, we like seeing your concept tags and all, but when are you going to do a tag executed in the style of luis royo?" your wait is over.

odetoroyo.jpg

royo was one those artists that anyone who was a young teenager in the 90s should recognize... i was always kind of alternately amused and bewildered by his.. very specific oeuvre you might say. but let me just say, let no man poke fun at 90's airbrush style poster/heavy metal art in the vein of royo without taking a crack it yourself. you might just learn something.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MR_Verkerk

Is that CryEngine 2?
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    @holi

I think the test turned out great. better luck next time :)
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Holi: I don't imagine this will be much comfort to you, but if they were interviewing someone senior for the same position and still interviewed you, they probably believed the senior artist had other opportunities and there was a reasonable chance that artist would turn down an offer, so they interviewed you also. Showing your art test results is probably fine but you shouldn't tell us what studio it was for. Very nice work though!

Millenia: With that tri count, it seems like you'd be better off normalmapping the ridges and putting that geometry toward more loops in your cylinders. Ten sides isn't enough, they look quite blocky.

boyluya: Looks great! Maybe a bit heavy on postprocess though. And very very tiny thing: the "corners" of the box gradient background are noticeable.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    @gauss: Has a very clear Royo vibe to it, man, very nice. That and bewbs, of course. <3
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    penrod, prolow, stefanH; thanks guys!
    Zack Flowler: thanks for your response, but yeah, this situation still nebulous to me.
    I won't call Michael Moore, but, yeah...
    Thanks!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome stuff as usual in here! I love the art style on that portal(?) Holi, shame you didn't land the gig.

bootilicious
    119ci6q.gif
    wussed out with circular hinges, i wish i could wrap my head around how the actual hinges work
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    trying to get sum of my mojo and motivation back:
    redux on this dude (under 700tris)
    fook01.jpg

hey stick this in the low poly thread, you're likely to get some good crits. Just don't feed the triangle-otaku too much goodness, they bite you know.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    heres the legs to my demon dude so far, still have to fix his ugly toes and dodgy cloth :D

demon_007.jpg
  • kjell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda awesome, but give it some thickness?:)
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Loving this character Crazyfool, hope you will go all the way and texture him and such aswell!
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    tda: Where the hell is the dead body?
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots of nifty stuff in here.
    here's a generic female head study. some spots look funky but I cant quite put my finger on it...
    generic_female_head.png
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! update Crazyfool! i think his calves might be loosing a little structure, it looks like the muscle is flattening out in the back view, the armor design is awesome! and the feet are nice too!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I'm working on improving my subd modelling skills; I've never done any before! So I looked at the principles and did this today. It's the barrel of a gun emplacement from a Warhammer figure.

Can you guys see anywhere I can improve so far? Gonna get cracking on with it some more tomorrow!

gunbarrel3.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Millenia wrote: »
    mittari_w1.jpg

http://forums.qhimm.com

Lots of FF modding over there

Why do you make your cylinders so blocky? Polygons are cheap; use more of them where they're actually needed and round the edges with normal maps.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Did a bit more on the shotgun, zbrushed the shoulder pad like leather and the glass/plastic light beam covers then edited various stuff in max. Added a bit of a paintover to see what direction it's going...

bulldogfront.jpg

bulldogrear.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Why do you make your cylinders so blocky? Polygons are cheap; use more of them where they're actually needed and round the edges with normal maps.

Well I ended up meshsmoothing the eyepieces anyways since I've got lots of my budget left (I reckon any first-person model can be at max the same polycount as the highest poly first person model there is since you only use one at a time :p)

mittari_valmis.jpg

Horribly rushed texture, but I don't have too much time to spend on each piece as these are for an army project (and I honestly don't care as much as with my own projects)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on this

bibendumpig20100616.jpg

Mostly done with the lower body, just need to finish up the back and figure out what I'm going to do with the forearms then add the teeth/hooves.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi wrote: »
    Zack Flowler: thanks for your response, but yeah, this situation still nebulous to me.
    I won't call Michael Moore, but, yeah...
    Thanks!
    Hey man, don't mean to be critical at all but your reaction to being turned down is both understandable and telling. It's a small industry, it's good to show class whenever possible and not let things like that get to you. Your test looks good, I'm sure you'll get a job and be fine, but there are a lot of senior guys out there these days looking for jobs too so competition may be a bit stiff.

It sounds like they dealt with you reasonably, letting you know it was someone with more experience that got the job. You can conduct yourself anyway you want, of course, but calling the studio out by name with the "whatever, I don't care what they think" attitude is a bit off-putting, not just for them but for any other potential employers who may see it. That may seem like a stretch, but it's generally a good principle to live by just to be safe. At least until you're comfortably employed, then you can tell everyone how much they suck :p

Anyway, sorry to derail this lovely thread, your work is good and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just sayin'.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    update on my bow, low poly and with normals baked.
    BowLPwip01.jpg
    BowLPwip02.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    finally im quite close to done
    455d2d1896c3289a238cb962a17be022.png

edit: and for those interested, here it is with all the other shit too.
    TODO is just one strap and collar markings.

fuckhe.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff harry!

Please do add more folds to the tunic though..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    This is a really early WIP level in unity.Placement and env is all over the shop, but its slowly taking shape. Press ctl and forward to run rather than walk
    http://www.mikerusby.com/zombie/guardtest.html
This discussion has been closed.