Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Jerc - On that note, it would be awesome to get a shader that was closer to what UE4 uses. I don't know what's involved with that, but the roughness values don't really relate to what UE4 wants to see so I can't use the painter viewport as a WYSIWYG editor. I have to accept that it won't match and just use experimentation to get a proper look in UE4.

For example, metal that looks kind of shiny in Painter is blindingly polished in UE4.

Hey WarrenM,

it seems that you are not importing your textures in Linear Color Space. Substance Designer and Painter are both authoring Roughness/Metallic/Normal,... In Linear Space by default. Only the color maps are RGB Space.

In UE4: Double click the texture to open the texture editor and uncheck the button "sRGB" under the Texture-section. This will tell the engine to interpret your maps as Linear Space properly.

Best regards
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh! I'll check that when I get home, thanks man!

EDIT: Well, hell, that was it. Thanks again!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Same here. I've been using packed roughness/metal channels for weeks without problem. I'm reading metal from green, roughness from blue ...

Strange, it worked but it's the opposite for me. I've plugged roughness from the green channel and unticked sRGB and now it works perfect. Now it looks the same as in Designer and Painter.

khHLKO8.png
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I was wondering if it is possible to make Painter output textures in a usual way like Designer and Photoshop. By usual I mean not squishing information between UV islands. Sometimes I want to make a single texture and use it across multiple meshes. Now I use a simple mesh plane for that but I was wondering if it is possible in some other way.
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Is there a way to add a Painter licence to my steam library? I guess the link on the website works steam-->standalone but not the other way around.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, so tri plane mapping is like the best thing ever to be added to Sub Painter.

However, I noticed that it can't be applied to some filters. For example, on the aged copper smart material, the gradient effect layer under "details age" can't be set to tri planar, which means it can make seams pronounced.

Also, there's no option to choose which folder SP will bake textures?

Overally, crazy nice update!
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    Second that. Tri-Planar! HUGE.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we report bugs here?

I can't seem to bake only some maps. It's all or nothing. Either it won't let me bake unless I turn them all on (button is disabled) ... OR ... I can toggle them all off, except normal map, and they all bake anyway.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suggestion : Geometry Decal needs a backface culling option. It's constantly selecting polygons on the other side of the mesh that I'm not interested in.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And just so you don't think I'm all gloomy, I'm actually pretty pumped! This has great promise. It appears I can bake maps successfully in here that just load into UE4 and work right out of the gate.

HELL yes.

WIP033.jpg
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    I just watched the video on smart materials and was completely blown away, great improvement.

I have a sugestion for thumbnail creation on smart materials: What if the "material presentation ball" used for the program was available somehow so we could take renders quickly and assign them as thumbnails? Kinda like you can change primitve shapes to preview textures in Substance Designer. This will be cool when we can save cameras so we can make consistent scene setups.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @GnutmiSend us a message through our contact form and we can get you a Steam key.

@WarrenM We are aware of these issues and hotfixes are on the way!

@EArkham Triplanar is only available for fill layers and effects at the moment, not for substance effects, that might change in the future though :)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Jeremie I thing I found a bug. There's something going on with my exports. I exported my textures as PBR MetalRough and am getting some weird issues in Marmoset. It's like my UVs are being rotated but only in the roughness map. Every other map looks fine. You can see the shading especially on the barrel and the purple paint areas.

NKDSf9F.png

If I export using the PBR MetalRough (Folder or PSD Group) things look fine

U2Hj0lL.png

Anything I'm doing wrong?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did you export to TGA?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The problem should go away if you use any other format from what I've been experiencing on my side.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Ok ill try a different format out. I dont kno why I didnt think to do that
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think it deservers it's own thread so I will ask here.

I created material based on tutorial I found on Allegorithmic youtube. The paint layer has mask created by all those special layers (fill generator etc.). As you can see the mask has those regular wear marks on the edges. It's just fill layer with curvature map. I'd like to reduce those marks by hand (just use a simple brush to paint them out in some places)... can't figure out how to do this...

HG5Eoj.png

I probably need to rethink how this material is set up...

edit: I figured it out. I have put the curvature map as a mask. Then modified it with additional stuff. Could modify the curvature influence by hand then.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    So I decided to dive more into substance designer this weekend, I'm really enjoying it.

One problem I'm having though is trying to create height/color variance in tiles from scratch. I'm making some large stone blocks and I don't want to use the "bricks 3" template but I don't have a clue where to start.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    In the older versions of substance painter there was an option to paint in the wireframe areas of the 2d view. I can't seem to find that option in 1.3, am I missing something?
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    A couple questions:

I'm currently attempting to slide some of our pipeline to substance painter (from designer). I'd like to leverage all the power of using published substances and gain the artist friendlyness of painter.

One of the current kinks in my plan, is that when updating substances in designer, the updates don't transfer over to painter as smooth as I'd like them to. One of the main features from designer i'd like to retain is the ability to batch reprocess things if we decide to change the color of an entire group of characters, for example.

Currently, if I use a series of fill layers (filled with custom materials made in designer) to texture an object in painter, and then go back into designer and make changes, that fill layer does not automatically update. In fact, the published substance itself doesn't update until you manually reload it. So the process goes like this:

1. Make changes to substance.
    2. Open painter
    3. Manually right click / reload the substance that was changed.
    4. Re apply the substance to the fill layer.

In cases where the artist painted with the substance directly on to the model (not using fill layers) then I'm not sure there would even be a way to update it without repainting (assuming they had multiple materials on the layer)

Ideally the process would be:

1. Update substance in designer
    2. Open painter, anywhere that substance was used is now updated on the model, ready to be saved out.

Is this functionality planned? Is it currently possible in some way I'm unaware of?
    Thanks a bunch!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @electricsauce: Wireframe is only available when in selection mode for now.

@venain: This workflow is not yet available but definitely planned. I don't have any ETA to give you though.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know, thanks for the response!
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Hi I have a quick question. I made a wheel in Substance Painter 1.3 and exported the shader channels with the UE4 (Packed) preset. It gave me Albedo, Normal, RoughnessMetallic textures which I could use in UE4. Everything looks good in painter but when I add the roughness channel to the shader in UE4 it looks too shiny to me.. is there a difference to the shaders? There are 3 channels of information in the RoughnessMetallic map, 2 identical roughness ones and a Metallic which are all grayscale. Im pretty sure ive found the metallic one as there is a big contrast in that channel for rubber and steel. Is it possible to get a similar look in UE4 if you use some modulation nodes?

http://i.imgur.com/FQdpLZq.png
    hjMh4XK.png
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Did you uncheck the sRGB setting in the properties of your rouhgness texture in UE4 ?
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    No I didn't realise this was necessary! Thanks a lot it is looking better now :) Do all the maps use linear colour space and require sRGB to be disabled?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Appart for the BaseColor and the Emissive, all the other textures in UE4 should be in linear space.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the models I was working on had an incorrect material name in the object file, which was causing some wrong overlap of texture zones, so I corrected it.

Now Substance Painter is telling me "[Paint editor] The document contains data for a material that is not present in the loaded scene," then the name of the material group I corrected, then "You should update your scene materials names to be able to see and edit those data."

So how do I update my scene material name? I can't seem to find this option in Substance Painter.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It's not possible in Painter for the moment, you have to rename your material names in your mesh file properly before reimporting it.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    It's not possible in Painter for the moment, you have to rename your material names in your mesh file properly before reimporting it.

I'm guessing that'll be changed in a future update. It's not really a huge deal since you can still bake an accurate ID map regardless of the names.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I am finding that when I export my metalness and roughness map and un-check srgb for UE 4.7 and above that it breaks the node in the material editor. I have tried packing on export and individual maps out of Painter along with TGA and PNG. The only fix I have found is to go into photoshop and re pack the maps for the fix.

I was wondering if anyone knows what would be going on here?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It's not because of Designer/Painter. UE4 breaks the node because you changed the color space of the texture. You can fix that easily by going into the node properties and changing the "Sampler type" setting.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Not sure if this is 1.3.2 bug but i used to be able to change an effect properties but visualize the mask (alt click mask). Seems if i click on the generator now the mask disappears :(
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Not sure if this is 1.3.2 bug but i used to be able to change an effect properties but visualize the mask (alt click mask). Seems if i click on the generator now the mask disappears :(
    Yeah this an old bug very, very annoying (it was driving me crazy too). We have fixed it internally a few days ago. It will be available in the next version of Painter.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome glad to hear Froyok!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    Is it possible to toggle the visibility of a stencil? For example in Mudbox you just hit the Q key to toggle visibility. The only way to do this in painter that I've found is to actually remove the stencil. Most of the time when I use stencils I want to toggle its visibility to see the work I've done more clearly.

also, i like to do a lot of my bump map painting in 3d and it would be great to be able to quickly invert between black and white for the brush color. it would make the detail painting much like sculpting. i'm coming from using mudbox and so generally i'll set my brush color to white and then hold the ctrl key when i want to paint black.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Stencil temporary visibility and a quick shortcut to switch between two color is planned. We got a lot of request for those.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a heads up, if you try to publish a substance that has a blend node set to overlay (and maybe any of the other blend modes new to SD5) painter will fail to import it 100% of the time.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, it's because it's one of the new features of SD5 that Painter doesn't support yet. It should be fixed in the next Painter build.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has probably been answered already, but is there currently no way to export out an AO that you baked inside SP? I see no options inside the exporter for AO, and it seems to be stored inside the SPP file?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can't export bakes yet without putting them first in a fill layer and exporting the result manually (I created myself a simple "Single" export preset that just exports the base color channel for this purpose).

But it's planned, yes!
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question! Is there a way to mask out parts of a generator? Example: I'm using a dirt layer with a mask that's being driven by a generator. Is there any way I can manually paint over that mask for some added control?

If not, I highly recommend adding some type of "sub mask" that you can add much like you add generators/levels etc. That way you could add mask above your generator and set it to multiply or darken to paint out parts that you don't like.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I export my baked maps from Painter? that would be quite handy.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See #811. It's possible, you just have to set it up manually and hack it.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see. I sometimes export separate layers like that. I hope this will be fixed some day. Also I hope Photoshop export will come soon.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely! Being able to right click -> export baked maps would be sweet.

Also ... and this might be stupid ... but is there any way to UNLOAD a texture that I don't want/need anymore? I can import all day long but I don't see how to get rid of them later. I might import something huge by mistake, for example. Not saying that happened, just hypothetically. :P
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely! Being able to right click -> export baked maps would be sweet.

Also ... and this might be stupid ... but is there any way to UNLOAD a texture that I don't want/need anymore? I can import all day long but I don't see how to get rid of them later. I might import something huge by mistake, for example. Not saying that happened, just hypothetically. :P

Once it's not used in the layer stack / additional maps column you can go to file > clean and it'll trim off everything unused.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, OK ... of course, right in front of my face. :-/
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Hi, I'm sure I know not what I do (
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message