Home Unreal Engine

UDK Translate Tool Problem - Glitching / Jumping Around

I recently downloaded UDK on my Windows 7 desktop (which I bought for the sole purpose of using UDK) and it runs smooth and everything, but when I am trying to translate a static mesh around, it glitches and jumps around. Its hard to explain, but its not a smooth translate to where I want it, it will move in the direction I am pushing it, then it will skip even further, jumping over a bunch of grid units, and it is making it impossible to work with.

I tried searching google in hopes of it being a simple fix, but when I search anything with the word jumping, it gives undesired results.

If anyone knows anything about this or how to remedy it, please let me know, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    do you have grid snapping turned on by any chance? The toggle is in the bottom rightish corner of the UI
  • CooperBates
    Yes, and I have them set to the defaults. 16 units for translates. Its jumping way more than 16, its jumping like 100 at least, and its very fast and annoying.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    hm. Next question: Are you trying to use a tablet/stylus/touchscreen for this? I've seen that sort of behavior with those. You could try even going so far as disabling any pen/touch input stuff to see if that helps.

Also, you could try deleting the UDK config files (the ones with UDK) in front of them and see if that clears up things...though it sounds like this is a fresh install. Does it do it on the demo UT map too?
  • CooperBates
    I am using a mouse. I have tried wired and wireless, and the problem still persists. I will try disabling the pen/touch settings and see if that fixes anything. I also haven't tried it on any other maps, only my custom one so far. This is a fresh install though, so I don't think the config files would effect anything. This is the first map I have opened on this install. I don't have any problems when using the "WASD" keys to navigate, and all buttons and hotkeys work perfectly fine, its just when actually moving something around. I'm pretty sure the problem is there when rotating and scaling as well, but I haven't tried anything in a couple days, because this is a group project due soon, and I have since been using the school's computers to work on it.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah...it sounds to me like a problem with the mouse cursor projection into 3d space when using the transform gizmo, which I've seen happen when people use tablets/touchscreens to navigate, and again when guys at my last job custom wrote a new gizmo...but I've never seen it with just a mouse. Maybe a keyboard key is jammed and is confusing it? You could try pressing a bunch of keys reeeeeaally hard to reset them...but now I'm REALLY stirring the dregs of the 'try this' pot.
    Only other options I'd have is to try an older UDK build or to search the UDN forums to see if others have the problem.. :(
  • CooperBates
    Its possible that its the keyboard. I will simply unplug it and try (since it is wireless). I honestly hate that keyboard anyway, so replacing it would be awesome. I can't get an older build of UDK because I need the same one that my school has in order to work on stuff at home. Thanks for your help, and I will post again after trying a few things you suggested.
  • redvinken
    Hey! I've got exacttly the same problem and can't find any answers.
    I also use a mouse (tried several, so it's not the mouse itself) and I tried UDK 2013-07 and 2014-05, both have the same issue.
    Have you found more info?

I fear the problem will lie in software or hardware issues of our pc itself.
    I'm royally screwed for my exams now :/

I've made a quick video to illustrate the problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1eAnBjm6ew