Replies

• cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ i don't think there is, and the last update is quite a while ago ;/
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Hey. I am using marmoset and it is very useful tool. But here I will list some bugs or limitations I have encountered so far:

1. I have 10 materials and each of them has 4k normal,spec,diffuse. When I add 11th material the app start lagging so much that I cant even use it.

2. High supersapmpling make highlights less powerful.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    ahtiandr wrote: »
    Hey. I am using marmoset and it is very useful tool. But here I will list some bugs or limitations I have encountered so far:

1. I have 10 materials and each of them has 4k normal,spec,diffuse. When I add 11th material the app start lagging so much that I cant even use it.

Have you ever got this to work?

This would use massive amount of memory and its likely that you are running out of VRAM.
    AFAIK, Marmoset doesn't compress textures and from what I can tell doing my own tests, it uses around 85mb per 4k texture.
    This means you are using 255mb per material and 11 materials, which comes to 2805mb, plus rendering overheads such as lighting a geometry etc.

I'm surprised that you can use 10 without lag ;)
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    oh I see now. Well I have 8gb of ram but I know that toolbag is 32 bit so probably it can use only 2k of my ram. Is it correct? Also my video card has 3gb of memory.

Oh and just remembered. When I render out a turntable with 24fps it gives me 24.39 fps and when I use this rendered video in AE to combine with my other videos in my showreel, I get some poppings . Looks like there are some problems with frame rate but I set my comp to 24fps in AE.

PS. I am using this laptop:
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    It's the GPU's RAM that you need to be looking at, rather than your system RAM.

With 11 materials coming in at 2805mb plus a around 170mb or so for rendering overheads, you are prob. very close to maxing out your GPU's memory (2975mb), which explains why you are getting lag.

For the popping issue, you might want to try using the 360 shot feature which take a series of images as the turntable rotates, rather than rendering out video in realtime which can be extremely intensive. You can then place the images together in the correct order and render out a movie in AE or Premiere etc.
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I have tried to render images and I still have a bit of popping but it looks like it is due to a big amount of materials I have in my scene. There is no poppings when I render mesh with one material
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Yea, that sounds about right. You are hitting the limits of you GPU, so you will prob need to condense some textures in your scene.

What is the scene exactly? Do you really need 11x4k texture sets? It really seems quite excessive for anything I can think of. You could probably use 2k for everything and it would look fine :)
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I am doing just a character for my showreel but I like how you can change the settings of the materials in marmoset. Especially ability to change specular colour on the fly. I know it can be done in ps but it was just faster to do in marmoset and experiment with different highlight colours. So I was creating new material for each piece of my character. Not necessary though. I started to combine them now and There will be two mats in the end. I just didnt think about the hardware limitations =)
    c2d71c42f421cec058049ac6ac9484fd.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm using the DX11 Tessellation for the first time, it works fine.
    I got only one problem : when I load a displacement map for my tessellation all my dynamic spot-light instantaneously stop working.
    The different sky setup works fine, but if I add one light or more they doesn't work.

It's normal ?
  • damageINC
    Figured out why the z-fighting was occurring, was a scale issue. Turns out that my settings in max output my models the size of small apartment buildings, but once scaled down to the human ref things are peachy.

One other question. I've found that creating lights in my scene results in gigantic gizmos for the lights. So large that I really can't effectively position them around my character. Any ideas how I can solve this? Thanks.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ahtiandr wrote: »
    Well I am doing just a character for my showreel but I like how you can change the settings of the materials in marmoset. Especially ability to change specular colour on the fly. I know it can be done in ps but it was just faster to do in marmoset and experiment with different highlight colours. So I was creating new material for each piece of my character. Not necessary though. I started to combine them now and There will be two mats in the end. I just didnt think about the hardware limitations =)
    c2d71c42f421cec058049ac6ac9484fd.jpg

where exactly are those 11 materials with 4k textures? how close do you want to go that you?
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    where exactly are those 11 materials with 4k textures? how close do you want to go that you?

Well at the start I was creating each material for each part. Belt, Pants, Shirt, Tunic, Hands, Head...

It was easier for me to tweak each part individually but now I started to combine them and there are about 5 materials atm and there will be only two in the end. I know it is not good practice to do so but it was just how I did it and I will not do it in the same way next time=)

Btw, I have some fresnel reflections on the skin so Probably I will have to end up with three materials. One for one uv set another one is for another uv set and also the third one for the skin since it is the only part which has fresnel effect.
  • damageINC
    I was wondering if the "Use Alpha to Coverage" screenshot issue has been resolved as of 1.05. I am running this version and it's still happening for me when I try to screenshot stuff.

Also, I was wondering, is there a way to up the sample quality of shadow casting per material or even globally? When I check cast shadows on for a material the shadows it casts on neighboring objects are super pixelated (think the back of a character wearing a high cut tank top). The only way I can get this to not happen is to turn off shadow casting which is a poor solution for me.
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys my mesh has some weird seams when I import the scene any help would be great! help1.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Congratulations, you have some n-gons ! ^^
  • ahtiandr
    Offline / Send Message
    I had something like this when my mesh did not have proper uvs
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Ohh ok thanks guys!
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Trying to achieve something like this in Marmoset, not sure if it's possible or if I'm just doing something wrong (I suspect it's the latter).

IMAG0319.jpg

My current attempt:
    screenshot0.png
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I guess you can try to fake some particles with some square polygons + clouds textures and their own alpha. And to get the glow use a powerfull emissive map with the Bloom enabled in the post-process.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    turn the blending mode to additive
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Oh, weird, I originally posted this in some dev version of the polycount forum stuck in February or something... anyway:

Finally got around to testing a model out in 1.05, and I have a question about the AnisotropicEnvironment material. Is there a way to edit the material so that it doesn't get so dark? I can't help but feel that the shader makes things more highly contrasted which is probably good for metals, but for something like hair it feels a little strong. Here's an example with a sphere:
    marmoset_aniso.jpg
    Not that I would really know how to edit shaders anyway, but I took a look at the shader files, but none are named in a way to suggest which ones would have settings related to anisotropy. I hope this is possible because I'm mostly interested in the highlight behavior. Thanks!
  • dang87
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Two questions I can't seem to find the solutions to. When it comes to AO rendering in Marmoset I change the background to white, set a floor and change the VIEW to AO under the RENDER tab.

1. So I created a turnaround for my model in Marmoset and wanted an AO turnaround as well. Yet when I clicked the 360 save it doesn't rotate so I guess it cant calculate a rotation in AO?

2. When I do render the single AO shot it has a grainy/posterized effect to it in the shadows. Is there a way to smooth that out or is it just the way its rendered? I'll attach an image of this.

Thanks! :)
  • Lightweight
    First thing that comes to my mind is inverted normals.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    KonginChains polycounter lvl 12
    bringing up the command prompt within marmoset and inputing "set render.shadows.res 4096" or 2048 gives me an invalid command. I'm wondering it they'll be bringing up the option again as i'd like to render my shadows without any jagged lines to them, even with AA turned on.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    When using alpha-to-coverage, my alpha looks like its made up from lots of small dots instead of having actuall gradients (kinda looks like dithering) is this standard alpha for marmoset or is there something i can do in the command promt to make alpha to coverage look better?
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    When using alpha-to-coverage, my alpha looks like its made up from lots of small dots instead of having actuall gradients (kinda looks like dithering) is this standard alpha for marmoset or is there something i can do in the command promt to make alpha to coverage look better?
    Unfortunately, this is what Alpha to Coverage looks like.
    It's a trade off between quality and order independence, which is a massive advantage over regular alpha blending. :)
    http://www.8monkeylabs.com/toolbag/learn/blending
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the "dithering" kind of effect it creates screenspace based or texel? the eyelash in the example image only has a subtle dithering effect, whereas the hair on my character has large, really obvious/ugly dither. Would increasing the texture size for the hair be a hack fix for this? for the sake of beauty renders? Also to my knowledge alpha to coverage isn't supported by the renderer? Whenever i've tried to render out using alpha to coverage in the past it's just given me opaque results.

Edit: my bad, i need to learn to finish reading articles before i reply, the alpha is saved out into the alpha channel so i can make a layer mask from it.
  • Pola
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Uhh I've been waiting on 2012-2013 support in maya for the exporter since the start of the year, when I bought marmoset it seemed like it was being developed at a nice pace and support was good, I've not seen/heard of much since my purchase though. Is there any updates on providing support to these versions of maya? I use 2012 at present. Haven't seen much activity on the website or facebook page in a while, figure might have some luck here?
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Pola wrote: »
    Uhh I've been waiting on 2012-2013 support in maya for the exporter since the start of the year, when I bought marmoset it seemed like it was being developed at a nice pace and support was good, I've not seen/heard of much since my purchase though. Is there any updates on providing support to these versions of maya? I use 2012 at present. Haven't seen much activity on the website or facebook page in a while, figure might have some luck here?

I asked Jeff about it last month and from I have been told they are still working on Marmoset.

Here is the exact quote, hope Jeff doesn't mind:

"The short answer is yes, we are still working on it :) We have a small update nearing completion and a big update in progress."
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm about to purchase a new computer and thus a new video card. I'm thinking getting the ati firepro 7900, how good would marmoset run on this video card? i am especially concerned with being able to view realtime displacement mapping.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    yay, updates! do i see separate slots for gloss etc. on the horizon? DO I??!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    i'm about to purchase a new computer and thus a new video card. I'm thinking getting the ati firepro 7900, how good would marmoset run on this video card? i am especially concerned with being able to view realtime displacement mapping.

ATI + Pro model ? Good luck, it will sucks as hell.

A lot of ATI users have problems with Mamroset, so a pro model will be worse I guess. Drivers are very special, especially with ATI cards.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message

While I love the build quality of ATI Cards I would have to recommend you go with Nvidia. As an artist you will appreciate both CUDA as well as the best driver support tied to Nvidia cards.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Have you guys ever thought about adding a fresnel map of some sort? Would be cool to control fresnel values without having to necessarily break apart a mesh and apply a separate material.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    While I love the build quality of ATI Cards I would have to recommend you go with Nvidia. As an artist you will appreciate both CUDA as well as the best driver support tied to Nvidia cards.

would the gtx 500 cards have CUDA as well? i really don't want to have to resort to the more expensive quadro cards.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to create an entire environment around Marmoset, it was an interesting experience, especially trying to get out some cinematic shots.

It can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/45562813 (also posted in the working on 2012 thread)

70w7dv.jpg

I am hoping for some environment artist friendly tools in a future patch, camera controls and such. =)
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    would the gtx 500 cards have CUDA as well? i really don't want to have to resort to the more expensive quadro cards.

Yep, the 500 series will be fine and they are CUDA enabled.

I have owned a Quadro and still use an ATI FirePro. While they are great cards for cg work, I really havent noticed a big enough difference between them and the Gtx 560 I own when it comes to cg work, or at least where the cost vs performance is concerned.

You can do great work with a cheaper game focused GPU.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    As another suggested feature that i found myself in need of just the other day. Multiple detail channels with a masking option would be great. breaking up meshes is a quick fix for this, but some times when you have multiple types of materials baked down onto one part of a mesh it really needs masks.
  • yukimusha
    Offline / Send Message
    yukimusha polycounter lvl 4
    Hello guys,

im having a problem with marmoset, last week i had windows xp and it worked well... then i change for windows 7 and here's the problem

marmosetlaputamadre.jpg

thanks
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    yukimusha wrote: »
    Hello guys,

im having a problem with marmoset, last week i had windows xp and it worked well... then i change for windows 7 and here's the problem

marmosetlaputamadre.jpg

thanks

Make sure your drivers are up to date and it would be worth trying a fresh install of marmoset just to make sure :)
  • yukimusha
    Offline / Send Message
    yukimusha polycounter lvl 4
    that was the problem, thanks!
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Hello everyone,

So I've been trying out Marmoset and it was working quite well for a bit, but lately I've been encountering this error and crash a lot when trying to load a particular scene/mesh/material:
    XMfig.jpg
    The only thing I can think of that is different about when I encounter this error is that the mesh/material in question within the scene is utilizing Displacement (with lots of Tessellation) compares to other assets I've had no problems with in the toolbag.

I definitely have the latest Nvidia driver installed (301.42 from May) as well. Appreciate any ideas on what this is. I can of course re-create the mesh and scene with no issue, so it's not deal-breaking, but it is a bit of an annoyance.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    i got that error a few times when trying to import a model with more than 1 UV set on a single piece of geo. try deleting UV sets maybe
  • soviet_deso
    Offline / Send Message
    soviet_deso polycounter lvl 17
    Is there still a way to increase shadow resolution like in a previous version?

EDIT: Never mind i went through the thread and it answered my question.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    did the license transfer utility get fixed ?
    last time i tried to switch my license from laptop to desktop i had to contact support =(
    and now that i finished moving i would like to use my desktop again
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone else had this problem, or know the solution? A lot of the time when I mirror uvs on a model I get a crazy seam that doesn't seem to follow either the geometry or the texture.
    16bdcn7.png
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    dirigible wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone else had this problem, or know the solution? A lot of the time when I mirror uvs on a model I get a crazy seam that doesn't seem to follow either the geometry or the texture.

Make sure that the mirrored UV's are offset out of the main UV area. That should fix it.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Just for you guys, the 1.06 is out. :)

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/history
    Version 1.06 - August 1st, 2012

Features Added:

• Progress bar for 360 shots
    • Silent installation option (use /S)
    Bug Fixes:

• Stability fixes for AMD GPUs
    • Stability fixes for tessellation/displacement
    • Fixed loading of certain PSD files
    • Fixed alpha channel in 360 shots
    • Loading unrecognized files through the “open mesh” dialog no longer crashes
    • Fixed some cases of undue light flickering
    • Dynamic light translucency now respects light gels
    • Dynamic lights now interact better with skin scatter smoothing
    • Translucency now behaves better in ambient lighting conditions
    • Default material fixed to always display correctly
    • Tooltips no longer show in screen shots
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, metalliandy!
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    does anybody else have a problem tranfering the license from one pc to another ?