Home Technical Talk

Speeding up modeling in Maya ?

Ive mostly been using Softimage the past year, which i have grown to love, but for work I need to start doing everything in Maya - which is fine, but compared to Soft I feel really really slow. I know it will take time to become more fluid with it - but does anyone have any tips for modelers?

I am gonna try out Nex plugin to see if that helps, I was also thinking about buying something like this and binding as many shortcuts to it as possible..

17680.png

Maybe I'm over thinking it and just need more time to get used to it,
but if anyone has any other ideas or tips id appreciate it..

Thanks!

Replies

• GoodDreams
    I used Maya for a year and then said the same thing about Max. I could list a whole bunch of reasons why I can fly around in Maya but it all boils down to just getting used to it.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just get really familiar with the marking menus and install some nice modeling plugins like NEX, DiamantUV, etc. (look around creativecrash too) and and you should have no problem getting up to speed with practice. If your feeling ambitious learn some mel while your at it to automate some tasks.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Getting used to it
    Also maya has lots and lots of customizing possibilities, including scripts. creativecrash.com is good for scripts.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    If you're planning on getting a peripheral I strongly recommend a 3D mice from 3Dconnexion (it's a Logitech division so you know the hardware's tight). They're pretty awesome for flying around in pretty much any software (except for ZBrush, unfortunately) and they give you great shortcut access. I used an old SpacePilot at work and just had to buy one at home. The model i have is out of production now but this SpaceExplorer seems to do everything it does with a better design, just lacks the LCD screen.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spaceexplorer.html
  • bgoodsell
    Basically all it takes to get good in maya or an 3d package is the identification of which tools you need, then learning the keyboard shortcuts to get that stuff done quickly.

This is one of the cases where the secret sauce of getting good is just knowing where stuff is in the program.
  • LiselottePulva
    If you must change your software package never look back ! Forget what you love in xsi, else you will never get speed up. The key is to like the new software were you in - so find out the strength of Maya - something like "insert edge loop" (maybe a long way).
    I switched from xsi to max for the job. But now im back in xsi.
  • ivars
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    This might be old news to you, but a key to getting faster in Maya is to use use the channelbox to edit your input nodes when modeling.

When using any modeling command, don't use the optionbox, just apply whatever command you want, pop up the input node in the channelbox and slide the values using MMB.

I've never used XSI so I don't know the workflow there, but for max users who are used to a preview, this is the closest thing.
  • yeman
    A couple of customized marking menus is way sweeter than that big cash register thing in that picture.