Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk/Post-Apocalyptic Female Bust

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
razz polycounter lvl 9
Hello! I'm done with one of my projects, so it's time to start another. This time I'm going to focus on details and make a bust only.

My aim is to end up with something along the lines of these, hopefully with your help it can be achieved ;]

WT9eGQj.jpg
Images are by Adam Fisher, Teruyuki and Yuka, and Etienne Jabbour.

Now, for the concept I only have some quick sketches for now, but I'll be making a nicer looking finished concept, so there's no guessing about design when it comes to making it in 3d. One of my friends has already agreed to lend me her face, so yay! Forgive the scribly lines here, but I was keen to see if anyone has any ideas of which direction to take it.

bKSG9zA.jpg

I'd like to go for the feeling of The Division with a cyberpunk twist. Let's see what can be done..

Replies

• CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    The high neckband of 1 looks cool for me.
    I like the haircut in your concept, it's a nice change from the traditional side cut we often see in cyberpunk :D
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    CougarJo, thanks! I'd like to bring in something new, but design takes time and I don't want to spend weeks on it, just don't have that time.

Here's another sketch, a bit less messy. I want some cloth and hard surfaces in there. Any design suggestions?
    9I4Al0a.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Went all Dave Rapoza on this one. Any tips on the design before I move into 3d? Open to suggestions.

r068Q6l.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Small changes/more exploration. Next update will be 3d ;]

ZGLhYAi.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    i like the style, reminds me of Tsutomu nihei too !
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Scythe, thanks, that's a big compliment!

Had this on hold for a while, lots of work at school, but holidays now, so I'm back to it. Here's the start in 3d.
    cQ28lzP.jpg
  • NovaaH
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Like it too, but isn't the ear a little far back ... ? Or maybe it's the entire head which is to long.

Not sure, asking for more feedback on that point.
  • Kollaator
    Nice!
    I like the fact that you are keeping it simplistic, IMO

NovaaH wrote: »
    Like it too, but isn't the ear a little far back ... ? Or maybe it's the entire head which is to long.

Not sure, asking for more feedback on that point.

It really does seem that your anatomy regarding the position of ear seems to be incorrect. Maybe post a side view of the head for further feedback?
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    The concept is cool. Hope to see it in 3D soon :)
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    NovaaH, thanks for the feedback! Moved around a lot of the things now, both the ears and the head itself, should be better now ;]

Kollaator, thanks! Yeah, don't know why I didn't post ortho views, will do so from now on.

Grubber, thanks, glad you like it ;] Me too, man! I just got Substance Painter and can't wait to play around with it!

Here's an update. Still very much work in progress, so tear it to pieces.
    iMiosLw.jpg
    qPDcaPx.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Update! Tried out Keyshot, but the final one will be real-time game res, of course. I'll soon post some Zbrush screenshots to better show the sculpt.

dgYOxNo.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Zbrush screens

CFdWWh8.jpg
  • Exotronic
    Offline / Send Message
    Exotronic vertex
    As a starting point, your concept is really cool!

coming along nicely, the mesh looks great so far.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, Exotronic, thanks! I'm deviating from the concept already, just taking a slightly different direction, all fun ;]

Redesigned the lower part in 3d, quite exciting! Haven't done a lot of hard surface sculpting, so it's fun to see how well zbrush can handle it.

wWhEF5S.jpg
    pobyIlp.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Moving along. Going to start the retopo, unless there are some critiques.

DaSIody.jpg
    GhaMGuG.jpg
  • Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    Watch the shape of the skull, it`s very square right now. The forehead has a very strong highlight on the edge instead of a nicer, smooth transition. Also the thickness of the eyelids is off. The lower eyelid in particular. Eyelids are actually much thicker than we imagine. Generally looking from the front view the eyes seem too big and far out to the edges of the face at the mo :)

Keep going!:thumbup:
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Magdalena! Long time no see ;] Thanks for stopping by to share the wisdom. As you can see, I'm still learning and exploring, more in 3D now. How have the years treated you?
    Worked on the forehead, eyes and lips. Small but quite important tweaks. Some great tips there, I appreciate it.

u58SNON.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Now, something I've been waiting for so much, texturing starts!

5Fczlpb.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, this is looking really cool! The shape and placement of the eyebrows could be improved. They should essentially start lower, almost under the brow/socket area and curve up sorta like this : Perfect-Eyebrow-Shape-for-Your-Face.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, Erroldynamic. Thanks for the feedback. I put those eyebrows really hastily, will fix it! So far no photo textures used, so it will be fun to see how much further I can push once I get to those.

Some more work on the face textures and now a marmoset render. Thanks to MrHobo for sharing his wisdom. Now, need to put on that hair...

k5ASKkP.png
    aPRwmeN.png
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work so far!

I think that detail under the lip needs to be re-designed. Its so small and with the curvature of the lip its extremely unclear what it is. Sorta looks like a mole or something. You could also consider enlarging other details as well. Good job so far tho.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, Brad. I'll kill off the little detail under the lip, I see your point. I appreciate the feedback.

I've been trying to figure out how to do the hair and here's a bit of an unsuccessful attempt. I think I'll be redoing it, but the question is, shaved or not?
    LUYzmyp.png
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Is there a guide somewhere how to go from Substance Painter to Marmoset Toolbag? I've been playing around but couldn't get the same results yet.

New hair. Now for some overall fixes and pretty things.

Kch33pm.jpg
    Vtoty2u.png
    NyV58kH.png
  • c5ly
    Offline / Send Message
    c5ly polycounter lvl 5
    Great process shots so far! I think the hair might be covering up that cyberpunk detail on her forehead though.
  • samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    I love this so much man, you've done an awesome job. Your textures are highly polished. Watch the weathering on the shoulder pads though. Likely, there would be more scratching on the outer edges and less towards the girl. Also, her brow is very straight, and almost gives her masculine qualities. Other then my small nitpicks, this is some great work

:p
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    c5ly, thanks! Ha, it is covering it..I'll see what I can do about that. Sometimes i just don't think about that stuff and then it's work lost.

samwoodart, glad to hear you're liking it. I already worked some on the shoulder pad textures, brows are next. Well spotted. I don't mind fixing these small things, that was the whole reason for doing a bust instead of a full character, so I can really polish it. Thanks for stopping by!

I've reworked the armor textures completely, here's a little sneak peek. I've no internet at home at the moment, so it's been hard with the updates and I couldn't update Substance Painter ;[ Hopefully getting it back soon and I'll be back on track.

Too much sss on the nose.
    RSRcagW.png
    The glooww!
    oAA3ylD.png
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    The biggest thing that jumping out at me that needs attention are the eyes. They just seem too big and too far apart. Also they are too wide open and the eyelids need relaxing.

Intervain mentioned this on the previous page.

Everything else seems to be coming along ok. But eyes are one of the most important parts of characters and they're really letting this bust down at the moment.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yeah, I gotta agree. Compare it to your concept. You drew it! Her eyes were much smaller there, and I'd suggest reflecting that in 3D.

Her face, also, seems a tad too wide and more importantly her ears are sticking out as if they were plastered to the flat sides of her head-- the cheekbone actually overlaps the ears a bit, usually, as it protrudes out in the front and receeds back to the side of the head. I saw a good image regarding this floating around but I can't find it now. Hope my rambling sorta makes sense.

Loving some of the ideas presented here, just reckon you gotta take some more time to perfect them. :thumbup:
  • TheodorUrhed
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    I would like to see a good sideview as I can tell from previous images that something is a bit off, I think the nose is a bit far too protruded, as well as the lower part of her face. Consider pushing som verts around with a solid side view as reference.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Fomori, took a closer look at the eyes after your feedback and yes, needed fixing. Thanks for mentioning. I think I miss things like that pretty easily because I've been staring at it for so long.

BagelHero, thanks! Lots of things changed from the concept, as you see. My bad, I'm never satisfied, especially when it comes to design. Would probably go smoother if I just took someone else's design that I like. Next project I'll do that, haha. You know, one can also keep working on these things forever, but it's important to me now to learn as much as I can.

TheodorUrhed, looked at it, pushed verts around, thanks! I did follow a photo ref at the beginning, but then I moved away, may have lost the nice profile the ref had. Would be nice to find a good workflow and not jump around so much. Well, one day..

Made some major changes to the face, hopefully for the better. Also posed her a little, because I messed up anyway and the low poly doesn't match the high res anymore, so no rebaking of maps. Introduced some asymmetry, as well as a slight expression. Would like to improve on the hair, but I'm not exactly sure how. Deadline is looming on this one too.

ZwQkEnz.png
    jnhAjxy.png
    ubAooh9.png
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. I'm calling it done, though the little things to fix are almost endless. I did learn quite a bit working on it and I'm eager to start something new. Now though, I have to finish making the short film at school, so that's a few months of crunch for me. I'll see you after that with a new project ;]

The final version of this is in my reel. Thank you for all the help everyone, it is much appreciated!
    [vv]124146393[/vv]