Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey newbie here, does anyone know if its possible to start with a high poly base mesh and then add details in zbrush/mudbox and create the low poly last?

If so at which point should the UV's be made and from which mesh?

Thanks in advance

Edit:

Also would you guys mind telling me which workflow you use?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Bas1c wrote: »
    Hey newbie here, does anyone know if its possible to start with a high poly base mesh and then add details in zbrush/mudbox and create the low poly last?

If so at which point should the UV's be made and from which mesh?

Thanks in advance
    yeah, you can start in Zbrush and retopo it.
    UVs should be made on the low-poly mesh. You'll bake the high-poly details on your low-poly mesh.

I usually blockout the low-poly referencing the size and the shapes of the heroes, then bring it to Zbrush, Dynamesh and sculpt away, than retopo, unwrap, bake and it's almost done!
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Definitely possible, that's just one way of doing things.

The UVs should be done on the low poly - you probably don't need UVs on the high poly or the sculpt since most of the time it's just used to project ambient occulsion and normal maps for the low poly.
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply guys :)

I have one more question, when submitting items what determines if they are accepted for game or not.

Do i need lots of comments and likes from the public or is the decision solely down to valve? I'm guessing its a bit of both?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bas1c wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply guys :)

I have one more question, when submitting items what determines if they are accepted for game or not.

Do i need lots of comments and likes from the public or is the decision solely down to valve? I'm guessing its a bit of both?
    Well, officially votes don't matter (unless it's like 97% negative votes), but in the end it's a bit of both, yeah.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, i returned to work recently, and trying myself in some couriers. I dunno what color scheme to choose, need your help and feedback guys :)
    McIjJ2J.jpg
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    another thing I noticed is that after uploading my latest submission valve added some marketing guide thing on theyr requirements page,is marketing really that necessary for a item to get picked?

btw this is my latest submision,hope you like it
    UQf2ODn.jpg
    ovlq3Hi.jpg
    KyUbbrs.jpg
  • ultimatec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My new set of rubick ^^, hope you like it
    HMMSUrC.png

Link Workshop
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    ultimatec wrote: »
    My new set of rubick ^^, hope you like it
    HMMSUrC.png

Link Workshop

He started out stealing spells, now he's stealing costume elements. Those shoulders and tassles look a lot like Crystal Maiden items. :p
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys, it's depressing drama time.

i'm sure most of you know that vlad and i have been making lots of stuff since january-ish of this year, with a reasonable amount of success. he's never been the most personable guy around but we got stuff done. from the beginning we've always had a 30/70 revenue split.

however he's now taken it upon himself to increase his cut to 90% on my latest naga set. since i (surprisingly) disagreed with this, i didn't accept the share and asked him to delete the set.

with his usual tact, he said 'nah' and is now both ignoring communication and refusing to delete it. now the set is on the workshop and he looks like the only person behind it.

seeing as this isn't his first notable concept mishap, i've decided to write this up in public in the hopes that something's gonna change.

indeed, that is really disappointing to hear

i would like to hear Vlads side...
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10

i'm sure most of you know that vlad and i have been making lots of stuff since january-ish of this year, with a reasonable amount of success. he's never been the most personable guy around but we got stuff done. from the beginning we've always had a 30/70 revenue split.

however he's now taken it upon himself to increase his cut to 90% on my latest naga set. since i (surprisingly) disagreed with this, i didn't accept the share and asked him to delete the set.

with his usual tact, he said 'nah' and is now both ignoring communication and refusing to delete it. now the set is on the workshop and he looks like the only person behind it.

seeing as this isn't his first notable concept mishap, i've decided to write this up in public in the hopes that something's gonna change.

Well this is really disappointing. I thought Vlad was cleaning up his act but I guess not. This isn't the first time Vlad has pulled something like this. I hope the items get deleted by Valve if this is true.
  • Fletch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Finished my warlock scroll:)

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184357323

I really like the fire on your scroll :D Is that a custom particle effect or did you use an in-game one?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats anyone who got a set in!

http://tf2b.com/updates/dota

dota_item_the_hare_hunt_set_large.77f136d0fbeb47db71ab9940d2575928517a65fc.png

dota_item_barathrums_fury_set_large.1fada2ac64fb3a39d626d3240f53ad2134d9a695.png

dota_item_ancient_armor_set_large.4ff15ff6ab06e596c75cf8ef601b3e6aef402a68.png

dota_item_armaments_of_leviathan_set_large.f66c35ddf5f5daf3dfe998402af36bb9fd2d87d3.png

dota_item_hells_ambassador_set_large.79916e821fd4ad59f84d756f50e0356269ede40d.png

dota_item_viridi_inanitas_set_large.2a0c1a34dafe32adf056fbd4fed0cef880440d0f.png
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10

This is incredibly disappointing =/

Maybe I'm overstepping my bounds, but Vlad, since you haven't responded yet but have clearly read the thread, I'm going to guess that you feel you did 90% of the work and so you deserve 90% of the profit. But if you've agreed to a 30/70 split, then you've agreed to a 30/70 split, fullstop. You can't change the split after everything is over, no matter how much extra work you had to do.

If there's more to the story and I've got it wrong please tell us what's going on. Or if you've made a mistake just change the split back to what was originally agreed upon and be done with it, you could lose your privilege to submit new things to the workshop if valve got wind of this... it's not worth it.

Edit: Congrats to the people that got stuff in this week!
  • YourDownfall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YourDownfall polycounter lvl 9
    New helm for warrunner ;-)
    FA8D319010B4F86807D91D96CA5CD46BAFEC8B31
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Quick question guys, I remember reading that all heroes would have alpha transparency enabled at some point. Does anyone know if that has come to pass? or if Death Prophet has it at least.

Thanks,
  • redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redcap polycounter lvl 11
    Concering Vlad and beetrootChan:
    I really can't find the Naga set online. Am I wrong in thinking Vlad never put it up in the first place? I don't know all the details of the situation, but I honestly can't find any set made by Vlad for Naga.

Again, I don't know all the details, but I want to assume that there is just miscommunication on both sides. Just because you have had 30/70 split before doesn't mean it was agreed upon. Looking at the concept art provided by beetrootChan I don't know if I can blame Vlad for asking for a 90/10 cut. Unless it was agreed upon before for a 30/70 cut then Vlad very well could believe he is entitled to a bigger cut. Did you ever say specifically that this set would be 30/70, bettrootChan? Or was it assumed?

Also, there was only two lines of the text given by beetrootChan from the steam dialouge, that doesn't exactly give a clear contextual picture.

@beetrootChan I wish you the best with your projects, and I hope that this all gets settled smoothly, but I don't believe this is the forum to post your grievances with Vlad. You have tried to contact Vlad, which is good. Next thing I would do is go to Steam. If there is truly an issue they will take care of it. If not, they won't. Either way those with the power to effect change will be notified.

I also don't think it is Vlad's responsibility to respond to these accusations either. If it was a clear cut violation then Steam would take care of it and beetrootChan could simply give us a heads up that Steam had to remove an item based on rate disputes. Then we could proceed forward with that information and not have to try to judge from he said she said they said sort of situation.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    Before everyone grabs their pitchforks, let Vlad give his side of the story. I don't see any logic in working your ass off to make DoTA 2 art, guides, and become one of the most recognized names among workshop artists to just turn around and burn the bridges for 20%. As ridiculous as 90% is, what was the justification? I'm hoping there's more to this than just blatant greed...

unless, vlad is not only one person, but thats just rumor and mathematics, so dont listen to me :);)

i'd like to hear some statement too, i mean thats pretty strong accusations by ike. not taking sides, just saying.
    redcap wrote: »
    Concering Vlad and beetrootChan, I really can't find the Naga set online. Am I wrong in thinking Vlad never put it up in the first place? I don't know all the details of the situation, but I honestly can't find any set made by Vlad for Naga.

you mean this?
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=181737214
  • Bas1c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this might be a touchy subject so i won't ask for exact amounts or numbers from individuals but what kind of monetary gain can one expect to get from workshop submissions assuming items are accepted and popular.

I've seen people on Reddit and various forums mention that certain artists are receiving 6 figures, is there any truth to that?
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Quick question guys, I remember reading that all heroes would have alpha transparency enabled at some point. Does anyone know if that has come to pass? or if Death Prophet has it at least.

Thanks,

Yup, they all have it now from what I'm told. And even if they don't DP definitely has alpha.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    shit if I could make 6 figures from the workshop I wouldn't have to worry about my tuition
    GnymX7z.png
    booga wooga
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    @Snowstorm
    Great to know, thanks!

BTW I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my WIP. I got a lot of mixed responses for my Pudge set and I decided that I would at least redux the shirt. Anyway, continue? or am I on the wrong track?
    Also note that I have yet to add the buttons, collar, and the details on the suspenders and shirt.
    Preemptive thanks!

10148578984_44b88d5362_o.png
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    PwpUefc.png
    certainly a lot of work but well worth it
  • redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redcap polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks to the link for the naga set, I would say just talk to Valve for sure. :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't believe this is the forum to post your grievances with Vlad.
    Exactly.
    You have tried to contact Vlad
    No, not really.
    nMrDfBp.png
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    yes. your last response was one line. from 4 days ago.

i also did address you directly in a hangout except you were pretending not to read my responses, but still posting directly after each line i wrote
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes. your last response was one line. from 4 days ago.
    Well maybe you should try asking something else, or do you expect me to go to you to get my apology? :D!!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did i ever ask for an apology. i asked for you to delete the naga set.

three times.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did i ever ask for an apology.
    How do i read?!
    I won't be discussing this over here anyway, so maybe you should try actually contacting me privately.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the reason i'm posting here in the first place is because in our private chat conversation you said 'nah' as if that would be the end of the matter.
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    As much as drama sucks, I completely disagree that this isn't "the forum to post grievances." If someone is being shady (not accusing Vlad, idk the whole story obviously) I think everyone here deserves to know as a fair warning. I can't imagine any other place I would likely read and find out about stuff like this. A new thread would have been more fitting though, along with some stronger evidence...
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Gratuitus Complain time for me:

I find it kinda annoying that valve completly ignored to promote in the top page all of the previous group of sets (yes, including Gifts from the Gloom) that came all with a lot of cool promo art, and instead focused all the top page for all the items of the polycount chest, and now all the new sets...i don't think it's fair at all!...If anyone knows something on the matter please inform me...

complain time over! ;)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Gratuitus Complain time for me:

I find it kinda annoying that valve completly ignored to promote in the top page all of the previous group of sets (yes, including Gifts from the Gloom) that came all with a lot of cool promo art, and instead focused all the top page for all the items of the polycount chest, and now all the new sets...i don't think it's fair at all!...If anyone knows something on the matter please inform me...

complain time over! ;)
    They rotate the promos, but i guess popular set like yours don't need promoting as much as the single items in the chest.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, really appreciated, but i think it's a bit weird anyway...
    The polycount chest came out a week after those sets, and in that week difference there wasn't any promo anyway...plus the thing didn't happen only to my set, but also to all the others in the same group...and i believe the Earthshaker one is actually yours right?
    Again, Valve can do the way they prefer, but promo art require time and effort, and it's also nice to see it displayed, so i don't get the complete lack of it for that group of sets...
    Plus truth to be said, the DP set hasn't been as popular as you say, at least looking at the most sold page...but whatever... i already know this isn't gonna change a thing...i just didn't like it
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PbXxjWD.jpg

Do any of these look better than the original orange blade I posted a couple of days ago? Apparently the orange makes it look too much like the Odachi... I still think it looks best in orange, but would like to hear a couple of other opinions.

I think the white goes best out of all of them, but if avoiding the Odachi comparisons is the point then the white is similar to Omnishred the defiant. It also seems to drain jugger of interesting colour, whilst the orange complimented him and made him look more interesting. The red is another option, though it disappears in blade fury, and is still similar to the Odachi.

Have spent way too much time today tweaking and trying new colours, and am more than a bit frustrated. Time I would have much rather spent working on this month's comp...
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say white or red. Definitely not the green one! :D
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    You can always try purple or blue >. >
    On a serious note green seems more unique.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Concering Vlad and beetrootChan:
    I really can't find the Naga set online. Am I wrong in thinking Vlad never put it up in the first place? I don't know all the details of the situation, but I honestly can't find any set made by Vlad for Naga.

Again, I don't know all the details, but I want to assume that there is just miscommunication on both sides. Just because you have had 30/70 split before doesn't mean it was agreed upon. Looking at the concept art provided by beetrootChan I don't know if I can blame Vlad for asking for a 90/10 cut. Unless it was agreed upon before for a 30/70 cut then Vlad very well could believe he is entitled to a bigger cut. Did you ever say specifically that this set would be 30/70, bettrootChan? Or was it assumed?

Should we post Vlad track record on polycount for all to see, cause you obviouslly haven't been here that long. To be honest, when I heard about this, I just nodded my head and said, "yup, not suprised."

Also, when did tournament tickets become a free ride to getting your work in game? It seems there is no quality control on these items anymore. This is in reguards to WePlay.TV and Netolic. The other problem I have with Netolic is the fact that that penquin poped up on the workshop a few months ago. Meaning, at least from my perspective, that the penquin was not originally made specifically for that tournament. Promotional couriers aren't so promational anymore. :smokin:
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Ye that penguin does not live up to the standards...
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the zbrush phase for this Phantom Lancer set.

PL_wip1.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    very nice work motenai
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    @motenai: the high poly is looking great. Please try some color variations, It's really boring to see all his sets in the same color range. Btw, good luck fitting those details in the polygon budget.

on beetrootchan & vlad issue: Maybe this is not the place to discuss this as vlad said but I know a lot of people are looking for potential partners here. I for one, would like to see a solution and a post stating the problem is solved in the end.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    Maybe this is not the place to discuss this as vlad said but I know a lot of people are looking for potential partners here. I for one, would like to see a solution and a post stating the problem is solved in the end.
    It's a private matter and has nothing to do with anyone except me and ike.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    It's a private matter and has nothing to do with anyone except me and ike, because if it went public, my reputation would be ruined.

fixed.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    @motenai: wow looking awesome dude, that's going to look amazing. Hope it's not too much trouble to fit into the budget.

@Snowstorm: I like the white or red personally.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick idea about the colors as Marul asked...not still sure about all of them..

PL_wip2.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe make the buckles on the belt a bit brighter so they stand out a bit more?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    sick pl set motenai!
    realy looking forward to seeing that one in game.

on a side note: omg cool hair!

shoppreview.jpg

0F90AF5F42879AD6AC49006F55CF1148AAD2677A
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @Goeddy when i see the promo image, i immediately think of ice cream...