Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone know why everything turns gray when I got to detail lighting mode?

0s7y.jpg

Detail Lighting shows you your lighting with only normal maps, reflection, and specular.
    Although, I don't see any sign of normals.
  • Strawberrydoll
    Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there seems to be some backlash about Unity's licencing model (along with a whole bunch of other stuff, like Unity still using last century's Mono) after UE4 was announced

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/235141-Unreal-Engine-4
  • njackson4190
    LMP wrote: »
    Detail Lighting shows you your lighting with only normal maps, reflection, and specular.
    Although, I don't see any sign of normals.

That's the problem. I have normal maps on all of my meshes, but for some reason when I try to view detailed lighting it goes to this gray mode instead of showing the detail.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    It's great to see that with the release of Unreal 4, a lot of people are getting very passionate about making stuff again. It's awesome to see, the community is absolutely thriving! Keep up the awesome work everyone.
  • Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Jacky wrote: »
    You can increase it's size in Project Settings.

Director Track in Matinee should let you view the cam in full screen as long as you click the camera icon next to director track to enable it.

Thanks @Jacky, after you said that, I realised it was a simple case that the camera variable wasn't linked to matinee correctly.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I am having trouble finding the default location of saved high res screenshots, any clues for me? lol

Edit:Sorry just found it, defaults in the Documents>Unreal projects> "Project"> saved>screenshots>windows folder.
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    PogoP wrote: »
    It's great to see that with the release of Unreal 4, a lot of people are getting very passionate about making stuff again. It's awesome to see, the community is absolutely thriving! Keep up the awesome work everyone.

Quoted for truth! Can't wait to see all the sexy that you guys come up with :D
  • Logithx
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    Why did they remove the most impressive feature that got everyone hyped up after that fancy tech demo last year? NVIDIA/AMD have supplied us with some serious GPU muscle, but it seems the 'next-gen' engines are still holding back on 100% real-time.

Give us the goodies Epic! Break those boundaries. :)

9JbZrMq.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Logithx wrote: »
    Why did they remove the most impressive feature that got everyone hyped up after that fancy tech demo last year? NVIDIA/AMD have supplied us with some serious GPU muscle, but it seems the 'next-gen' engines are still holding back on 100% real-time.

Give us the goodies Epic! Break those boundaries. :)

Its too slow for console hardware, it can run in tech demos, but running it along with all the other stuff you need to do in an actual game is really pushing it.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    People have found the source code for it within the UE4 code though, and it looks like they're (they = public programmers, not epic) trying to get it back in for PC devs.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    PogoP wrote: »

Yeah man! From what I've seen in P&P, shit is getting unreal ;D
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Its too slow for console hardware, it can run in tech demos, but running it along with all the other stuff you need to do in an actual game is really pushing it.

In addition to that SVOGI didn't really give the best result. There were a lot of leaking issues when you used thin walls. Epic had some pretty good reasons to let it go so i'd just wait for LPV integration to get polished.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    People have found the source code for it within the UE4 code though, and it looks like they're (they = public programmers, not epic) trying to get it back in for PC devs.

outstanding! unreal 4 going open source does kind of feel like some strange dream, as if im gonna wake up and there is no unreal 4
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Code for svogi has been stripped, from engine. It is official and Epic do not plan to bring it back.

That being said they plan to work on LPV implementation. I just hope people more clever than me will help with this work and upstream changes back to main branch, so everyone can benefit in long run.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Grimmstrom wrote: »
    If you create a camera actor, does anyone know how to make the view from it full screen instead of the little picture in picture box?

In UE3 it was simply a case of setting it up in a matinee sequence but I'm currently having no luck.

in the viewport dropdown, (little arrow in upper left), there is a "Lock Viewport to Actor" menu option, with a Camera sub-group. You can lock the viewport to the camera actor there, if you don't have a matinee set up.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    iniside wrote: »
    Code for svogi has been stripped, from engine. It is official and Epic do not plan to bring it back.

That being said they plan to work on LPV implementation. I just hope people more clever than me will help with this work and upstream changes back to main branch, so everyone can benefit in long run.

maybe i misunderstood then, but it seemed like people had found it.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?530-How-to-enable-Light-Propagation-Volumes-GI-WIP-AND-BETA
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it is about lpv not svogi.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    I personally am enamored with the Lighting in UE 4. I am in love with stationary lights and think they are a great hybrid type of light as well as being a great compromise for dynamic GI.

This was just some practice to calibrate myself to the new tools a bit. Spot Light, Sky Light, Reflection Cube Actor, Sphere Reflection Actor, Lightmass Importance Volume, and Post Process Volume with some tweaked SSAO as well as AO turned on in the World Properties.

Trying to get this kind of lighting fidelity in UDK wasn't exactly "difficult" but it was way easier and more fun in UE4. Probably because Lightmaps are so much more forgiving this time around and create Waaaaaaay less artifacts to deal with by far.

Q5x6kkX.png
  • Jonathan
    I got the LVP working the other day. It's alright. Not really useful for indoor scenes, as far what I can tell, it only works with directional lights.

If anyone anyone has problems getting it active, I'll be glad to help.
  • Dashiva
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Is there any news on being able to modify the lighting model in the material editor? PBR is great and all but it still has that 'Unreal sheen' that I disliked so much from UDK (aka everything looks like plastic and goddammit I need a fresnel).
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Dashiva wrote: »
    Is there any news on being able to modify the lighting model in the material editor? PBR is great and all but it still has that 'Unreal sheen' that I disliked so much from UDK (aka everything looks like plastic and goddammit I need a fresnel).

you do realise that fresnel is part of the shading model they use, right? or are you talking about an artificial rimlight?
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message

??? Could you show screenshot of what you mean, and material setup ?
  • /anty/
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    you do realise that fresnel is part of the shading model they use, right?

Hehehe, love the comment)))
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message

Gotta disagree with the everything looks like plastic comment, been heavily playing with the shaders and values the right use of roughness really drains out that "plastic look" in a quick hurry, do the basic material tuts, then start experimenting and looking at other PBR guides so you really know what you are doing.

I think there is somewhat of a bad habit we adopted in the gears of war era (I fucking love gears mind you, not for gameplay but style)where we would kick the specular up on everything because it would help the normal maps pop Now we have PBR, Metallic and Roughness values this should be less of a issue.
  • Dashiva
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Gotta disagree with the everything looks like plastic comment, been heavily playing with the shaders and values the right use of roughness really drains out that "plastic look" in a quick hurry, do the basic material tuts, then start experimenting and looking at other PBR guides so you really know what you are doing.

I think there is somewhat of a bad habit we adopted in the gears of war era (I fucking love gears mind you, not for gameplay but style)where we would kick the specular up on everything because it would help the normal maps pop Now we have PBR, Metallic and Roughness values this should be less of a issue.

In fairness I have only been able to play with it for about 20 minutes, but going through the sample maps it still looked a lot like UDK for me. Going to try to get some decent looking stone today and see how it does.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Again, the question needs to be asked:

what exactly do you think fresnel is?
  • Dashiva
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Again, the question needs to be asked:

what exactly do you think fresnel is?

Who, me?

Well the first question is, why? Do you really care?

I am not talking about a fresnel in the sense of rim lighting or what you would normally do with it, but using Schlick's approximation for better specular highlighting on stone.

http://filmicgames.com/archives/557 is what I was trying to get at with UDK custom lighting back in the day.

I think at the root of the problem for me is that the Unreal devs make certain default assumptions about how materials should look in their engine. This includes broad use of primary colors, lots of bloom and a general 'loudness' to the scene that I don't particularly care for. I think it really boils down to differences in visual perception and neuroaethetics. I always thought that CryEngine and Source had a saner default look when it came to stone or concrete. As someone who really likes doing ancient style environments with a lot of stonework, the default UDK visual 'attitude' was/is offputting to me and it seems to continue in UE4.
  • radiancef0rge
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone been able to create a new camera and have it looking through that camera when you hit play?

I'm sure I'm missing a few steps here. In UDK it was super quick to set up a little kismet to look through the new camera when you hit play. Nice for keeping screenshots consistent. I tried to set up a blueprint of what I thought it would be

Unreal4CameraRender.jpg

but so far failing.

Basically on play, cinematic mode (hide UI, etc), and look through render camera. Fancy step would be to hit a button to toggle multiple cameras for additional angles.
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone been able to create a new camera and have it looking through that camera when you hit play?

I'm sure I'm missing a few steps here. In UDK it was super quick to set up a little kismet to look through the new camera when you hit play. Nice for keeping screenshots consistent. I tried to set up a blueprint of what I thought it would be

Unreal4CameraRender.jpg

but so far failing.

Basically on play, cinematic mode (hide UI, etc), and look through render camera. Fancy step would be to hit a button to toggle multiple cameras for additional angles.

Check Matinee tutorials(Either UE4 or UDK. It hasnt changed much)
  • ikblue
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    yep, drop a matinee actor in your scene, reference it in your graph, and play it on event begin play
  • /anty/
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    Who, me?

I am not talking about a fresnel in the sense of rim lighting or what you would normally do with it, but using Schlick's approximation for better specular highlighting on stone.

http://filmicgames.com/archives/557 is what I was trying to get at with UDK custom lighting back in the day.

I think at the root of the problem for me is that the Unreal devs make certain default assumptions about how materials should look in their engine. This includes broad use of primary colors, lots of bloom and a general 'loudness' to the scene that I don't particularly care for. I think it really boils down to differences in visual perception and neuroaethetics. I always thought that CryEngine and Source had a saner default look when it came to stone or concrete. As someone who really likes doing ancient style environments with a lot of stonework, the default UDK visual 'attitude' was/is offputting to me and it seems to continue in UE4.

Facepalm...
    Dude have you tried to read manual? About concept of pbr, about current state of in unreal materials?
    If you want believable concrete - do correct abedo texture with measured values, do correct specular (reflectivity) explore roughness of concrete you want to replicate from the real world, add scene reflection capture actors and make proper realistic lighting and color correction, with reasonable amount of bloom, and you will get realism you looking for... Sample scenes are samples, they not necessary about photo realism, there no code in UE which makes all materials and effects looking the same in every game, it is purely artistic decisions ( well and some hardware limitations)) It was same for UE3, and the same for UE4, Gears of war not the sample how engine render image, it is about chosen art directing..
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With correctly implemented PBR, materials should look the same across all game engines. Game engines are always going to have their own artifacts and characteristics, but the fresnel/specular/reflections are much better in UE4.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jacky and ikblue. Matinee takes too long to do this. Plus I like just having a blueprint set up in a file I can copy over to a new umap.

I figured it out after scouring the forums.

I documented it in case anyone has the same issue in the future.

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1166
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    regarding the question in your blog:

Would be great to set up a series of x number of cameras and be able to hit a key and have it toggle between the different cameras for multiple angles.

You can set up events for input pressed and unpressed, so just right click in your level blueprint and search for input, there will be an input event for each key but you can put one down and change the input key.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh dang! That was fast. Thanks Jordan. Totally going to work that in too.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but does UE4 not recognize the pivot point of the asset you import from Max/Maya?
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    ue4, like udk, still sets the pivot point of all exported objects to 0,0,0 in whichever application you're using.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    Who, me?

PBRtest.jpg~original

something I cooked up in two minutes with auto gened norms from a photo sourced texture(1024 map for both) could probably bring the spec values down a tad but its a learning process one i'm still going though myself but I fail to see this everything looks like plastic shit, for the love of god just do the tutorials and read up about PBR, destroy your prejudices and open your mind.
  • Dashiva
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    PBRtest.jpg~original

something I cooked up in two minutes with auto gened norms from a photo sourced texture(1024 map for both) could probably bring the spec values down a tad but its a learning process one i'm still going though myself but I fail to see this everything looks like plastic shit, for the love of god just do the tutorials and read up about PBR, destroy your prejudices and open your mind.

I massively enjoy the fact that my opinion about something as banal as the specular highlights in Unreal makes someone so irrationally butthurt.

But anyway, load up the Mobile Temple example and you'll see what I mean. It's still super happy shiny fun time. What I am excited about is I that I can more easily overcome it in UE4 whereas in UDK the limitations of custom lighting without source access made it rather impossible. And yes, Virginia, I did do the reading about PBR. It makes me tingly.
  • WarrenM
    I think the confusion stems from you attributing a particular look to the engine rather than the art direction. Mobile temple or Subway or any of the other samples look the way they look because the artist making them wanted them that way ... the engine can do whatever you like.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    So there's now a thread on answerhub for taking a look at whatever fbx bugs you may have found: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/20832/epic-official-fbx-import-reporting.html

feel free to post your fbx with the issue you have, or a link to an already created answerhub post you may have created.
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    The fresnel/glancing angle reflection effect should already be in the UE4 shader as far as I know. If you're having trouble getting the right ratio of front to glancing try manipulating the specular value a bit as if it were IOR.

They give some values here https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased/index.html
  • Acid_Wire
    So, turns out that one can comfortably run UE4 on a >300W PC with a fast dual-core :D

Now, to practice all this new stuff..
    Not sure if it's been asked somewhere in this thread, but are there any tutorials or timelapses or anything of a full asset workflow e.g. blank Max scene to finished asset in UE4 with awesome material?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Acid_Wire wrote: »
    So, turns out that one can comfortably run UE4 on a >300W PC with a fast dual-core :D

Now, to practice all this new stuff..
    Not sure if it's been asked somewhere in this thread, but are there any tutorials or timelapses or anything of a full asset workflow e.g. blank Max scene to finished asset in UE4 with awesome material?

The workflow isn't too different from UDK. The main difference is in how you create textures for PBR, but importing assets, dealing with lightmaps, setting up materials, etc, is pretty much exactly like UDK.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I wish they still support area lights (emissive texture properties)

Apprently they removed it for some strange reason..

I want to create the following effect (dirty photoshop mockup using the temp batcave in the dark knight.) but I can't seem to make it work
    dark-knight-blu-ray1-%281%29.gif

is there a way to render out multiple lightmaps and animate them in UE4?
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    EVIL wrote: »
    I wish they still support area lights (emissive texture properties)

Apprently they removed it for some strange reason..

I want to create the following effect (dirty photoshop mockup using the temp batcave in the dark knight.) but I can't seem to make it work
    dark-knight-blu-ray1-%281%29.gif

is there a way to render out multiple lightmaps and animate them in UE4?

Check out my answer here;

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/22099/use-emissive-for-lightmass.html
  • Visceral
    Hey im experiencing some trubbles with the landscape system.

Im in the prosess of making some terrain for UDK, im mostly following this method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0o3bqoM0Qg

So im trying to apply my diffuse texture to the entire terrain. This is the result im getting. Looks nice with the hightmap but what about the normalmap and diffuse?

zPI0pEt.jpg

If we zoom in we get this, awful tiling. Now this result is what i would have expected to see in UE3 aswell, but using the LandscapeCoords you where able to strech the texture over the entire landscape. This node is missing however.
    IbyNoQe.jpg

The only node close to what i was looking for was the following, and this is how simple my material is setup at the moment.
    qEZHEKr.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Guys, I need some help with something I want to make.

Basically I wanna do a floor that has a glass on the very top and below it, it has a concrete floor and a couple things here and there that I want to have depth.
    I'd know how to do it with Marmoset, and I even tried just placing an extra plane on top of all my details and apply it a glass texture (ie, like it'd be in real life), but UE4 right now doesn't support (and seems like it won't for the near future) screen space reflections on translucent elements, so basically I have to use some ugly cubemap that would make the reflections look kinda cheap compared to how they'd look in other parts.

Basically what I wanna do is something like this:

3p0OQNG.png

I want the reflection to feel like it's glass, but I don't know what would happen if I use bump offset to recreate the depth... I think the reflections would also be affected by it, which would defeat the whole purpose.

Otherwise, I might just make a very reflective ground (the original concept art I'm following has very reflective floors, but it seems to be thanks to some glass) and forget all the glass stuff :(

Edit: Ah, wait! Forgot about the reflection actor. I used that in UE3 and for some reason forgot about it on UE4. I will give that one a try, it should work perfectly.