Home General Discussion

Elysium

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    looks grandiose, thanks TeriyakiStyle for bringing this to my attention.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Doesn't seem too cartoony to me given how the poor/rich border can already be so sharp.

It's definitely there, whether you choose to see it is a different question entirely it seems.

Hopefully this isn't another movie like The Dark Knight Rises which just kind of stokes up some embers about class tension and calls it good.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    God I love viral site. It just added extra attention to the brand. I have high hopes for this movie.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle ... now talk about a mounted AK. :D
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I thought I saw Aaron Becks tech style in this.
    http://skul4aface.blogspot.nl/2013/04/e-l-y-s-i-u-m.html
    fightpunch wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure Syd Mead is responsible for both. I know he worked on the movie.
    The citadel? from mass effect? I am pretty sure Syd Mead wasn't involved with mass effect. I do know the art direction was strongly influenced by his work trough.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you really want to cite precedents, maybe you should start with 2001 and the SF painters of that golden age... Mass Effect was building on that legacy the same way Elysium does now, just in a different medium.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, the bad guy in this movie is the main guy from Distrcit 9?! I hardly recognized him? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1663205/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    EVIL wrote: »
    I thought I saw Aaron Becks tech style in this.
    http://skul4aface.blogspot.nl/2013/04/e-l-y-s-i-u-m.html

The citadel? from mass effect? I am pretty sure Syd Mead wasn't involved with mass effect. I do know the art direction was strongly influenced by his work trough.

I meant the paintings that inspired mass effect :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    from EVIL's link:

"the Russian air-burst bullet encoder, seen on the AK-47 above"

wow, that's gonna be nuts!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Cue ten Elysium AK's in P&P.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you actually see the airburst in action in the trailer - slow mow burst in front of a bot (or at least they cut it to look like that)
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Oh damn.. new trailer! Warning though, it reveals quite a lot of the story :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-RSDaRttpzk
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Looks even better with the latest trailer!

Though to build something that big in space surely you'd have the tech/resources to 'fix' the problems on Earth too?

Hmmmm, will be interesting how they play out the story to explain how Elysium got there.

Dave
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I stopped the trailer a quarter of the way there.... it is pretty heavy on spoilers... just gonna skip until i see the movie. It looks way awesome tho!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Another (extended) trailer. This is looking fab. SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=TAtxDkWi1Ys
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the spoiler heads up. I'm definitely going to have a media blackout on this movie until after I see it! I did that with pacific rim and the cool moments were seriously THAT much cooler.

also.......

CAN HE JUST DO A GHOST IN THE SHELL MOVIE ALREADY!? His filming sensibilities as a director, visual style and wetas team behind him it would be SUCH an incredible adaptation.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really looking forward to this film. Everything i've seen for it just builds on to the hype tower.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Well, what did everyone think?

The visuals were cool, and it had some great characters. I did think it was kinda depressing though. It made me sad I live in LA... those LA sets didn't look that exaggerated lol.

I didn't think it was terrible, but I really missed the sense of wonder/discovery that District 9 had.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Saw it... and was dissapointed.

Most of the action you see in the movie, is on the trailer for the most part. So the movie is more heavy drama and political. Which is not a bad thing... but i didn't think the script was good enough to make the movie more political. I also felt that it tried to go for emotional string a little too forced. I think District 9 did this a lot better, and it was more cohesive.

The designs of the droids and spaceships were simply amazing tho! I would watch the movie just for those again, and i'll be getting the art book for sure.

The characters in the movie were weak. I think the premise was set, there was motive, there was a good foundation, and then the movie kinda fell apart as it started to resolve each conflict. Characters like Jodie Foster were supposed to carry a lot of weight i felt ended up being meaningless. I do like Matt Damon... but he is just not at his best in this one. His whole arc was very undeveloped, and very little gets resolved.

The story was predictable the whole way. Nothing surprising... or interesting in its presentation. I think this is key here... the story is very recycled... but it had the potential to trigger a lot more debate.

When i left the movie i felt unsatisfied and like i wasted my money. So i would recommend this as a rental.

District 9 started kinda funny... not taken seriously, then it captivates you, and it shows you really gruesome under tones that then are fleshed out into an all out dark movie. It really surprised me. Elysium didn't. Also.. i felt like the actor from District 9... the main guy, being the bad guy in this movie didn't fit him. AT ALL. He was kinda weird... I didn't like him casted as the bad guy.

Hmm... i am curious to see what other people think of the movie tho.

@Hitmon: you think about it... this was filmed in one of the slums in Mexico. So people do live in those conditions, and its not rare to find other places like this. It is very depressing. I do think that the movie tries to deal with some current issues. max Payne 3 had that going for it, big time. They go from the overly rich side of the city, to the favelas, and the harsh line, clearly visible, throughout the game. The richer get richer, and poor poorer.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked the movie, but I agree with glottis8, that the action wasn't there, like it was conveyed in the trailers. I thought this was going to be more about him becoming a bit of a badass, with that exoskeleton. Instead, he barely seems to need it, and the story becomes more about morality.

I definitely think it's worth seeing, but probably worth waiting for a video rental, unless you want to experience the space cinematics on a big screen. There aren't many scenes that make use of it though.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I really dug it...Jodi Foster got on my nerves..it seemed like she was trying to act like a person who's first language wasn't English...and it came off forced...I like Matt Damon..but I think the movie would have played out better with a no-name Hispanic actor..he just felt kind of shoed-in

They nailed the Tech...during one of the fight scenes where dude is running the computer strapped to his gear...I was thinking that is a god damn Decker if I ever saw one..it's a fucking Shadowrun data hiest....

overall 8/10 would bang multiple times
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jodi Foster's accent was definitely annoying, but the worst part for me were her expressions! She always had these weird smirks on her face. I had no idea what emotion she was trying to convey.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    It made me sad I live in LA... those LA sets didn't look that exaggerated lol. I didn't think it was bad, but I really missed the sense of wonder/discovery that District 9 had.

I am not sure what your take on this is, but i thought it was really strange that those LA vista sets seemed to completely disregard the vast network of freeways we got here. I sorta think that the freeways around here are a defining characteristic in this city.

It sorta looked like they just recycled sets from District 9, because it really looked the same to me.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Ya.. The political drama of Jodi Foster was just.. bad. The bad guy I kind of liked though... The movie also had too many plot holes I noticed while watching the movie for the first time. But the designs were really cool and kept me intrigued the whole way.. Especially that laser buster cannon thing or w/e you call it.

my main gripe is that a lot of characters felt tossed in and never given much reason to care for lol.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I thought that movie was fantastically entertaining. I loved it.

That said, I understand criticisms of jodie foster, of the characters lacking subtlety, and of the motivational of the rich people being a bit wonky.

Still awesome. I love sci fi.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo wrote: »
    I am not sure what your take on this is, but i thought it was really strange that those LA vista sets seemed to completely disregard the vast network of freeways we got here. I sorta think that the freeways around here are a defining characteristic in this city.

To me it seemed like transportation as we know it today was pretty much gone. We only saw two working cars in the movie. I'm assuming that oil is not readily available and power probably isn't either, so the freeways were overtaken by slum/development.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    ...I like Matt Damon..but I think the movie would have played out better with a no-name Hispanic actor..he just felt kind of shoed-in

I just had an awesome realization reading this...

ok so white hero in a hispanic world, typical hollywood racism, but...

audience members project themselves as the hero.
    so when the movie has the one white guy in this hispanic setting, yet no mention of the fact is ever included in the story, it makes it seem as normal, not worth commenting on, etc.
    this has the effect, through myth internalization(?), of easing the audience through a real life major demographic change.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Was heavily disappointed. All the acting besides Copley was sub-par (especially Foster) and in the end I just didn't find myself caring about anything. Prop and set design was pretty cool.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I really liked the movie, it was no District 9 but still enjoyed it and dug the world created.

Really like..
    Sci Fi designs, god they were fantastic. From sexy robots to Elysium itself.

The action scenes that were there were badass. The fight with the first two robots was awesome. And boy were those weapons sick.

The slums built onto the skyscrapers were fantastic, if everything fell and slums took over the world I can totally see that happening as everyone would still want to be high off the ground, even if in a slum.

Really loved the whole 99% part of it, but it wasnt played up enough with more people rising up to fight.

Loved how everyone spoke English and Spanish in future LA. So many people in SoCal already speak a bit of Spanish so making future LA when this are more diverse being as common as English was great.

Didnt like..
    Not enough action, almost all of the action was shown in the trailers and was really expecting more with that kick ass suit.

Love interest/little girl. Thought this was totally unnecessary as Max already have enough driving force to get to Elysium and didn't need this. Felt so unneeded and wasted valuable time which forced the movie to feel a bit rushed.

Too many Mexicans in the slums. Yes I know this is future LA and like half of LA is people of Hispanic origin, but there are a shit ton of White and Black people in LA too, that with it basically being 1 white guy and 1 black guy, and no freeways, it wasnt LA anymore.

The fact that the president at the end was running in there with the guards to stop this terrorist. That was ridiculous, when would that ever happen.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I don't' think I've ever been so dissapointed in a movie. I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced too :( Love the look of it of course and I've ordered the art book but the movie was sucky to the max.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Disappointing ... as expected :/
    The movie had basically nothing to say besides "Universal healthcare is a good thing". Well that kind of goes without saying ...

There was also a lot of issues regarding world setting. At first Elysium is perceived as some kind of unattainable entity (similar to the floating city in Gunm) but it turns out that it is the easiest place to fly to, and is not even autonomous. The more I think of it, the more I am convinced that it really shouldn't have been a space station to begin with - a secured island in the middle of the ocean would have worked better, as it would make it look less unattainable and therefore would be more consistent with the idea of immigrants sneaking in and out.

I wonder if Blomkamp was asked to "come up with something kind of like district 9" as opposed to be allowed to fully mature a personal idea. And of course District 9 set the bar incredibly high...

Aaanyways - for a great Blomkamp fix, just watch this !!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhqctlrQyLg"]"Tempbot" by Neill Blomkamp - YouTube[/ame]

And on a related note, Shartlo Copley is said to be soon playing in a movie entirely shot in first person, "Hardcore", directed by the person who made this :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1vBK7wCNQ"]Biting Elbows - 'Bad Motherfucker' - YouTube[/ame]

I am extremely excited for this !!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I liked it a lot while watching it but it definitely wasn't as strong a movie as district 9. I feel like there was pressure to keep the run time down and Blomkamp's signature world building suffered a lot in the beginning.

On the other hand it was a total thrill seeing crazy Syd Mead style scifi come to life in the Elysium scenes so I feel like my money was well spent. Definitely the best thing in the box office to spend your money on at the moment.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I really enjoyed it. The plot shortfalls were overcome by the theatricality of it all - certainly a testament to Blomkamp's ability as a director. Since the obvious thing to do is to compare it to District 9 - it wasn't as good but it was still a fun ride.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    The tech was amazing. The space station was Evidently inspired by halo, which made it more awesome. The politics were abit much. Blanket villainization of rich people was in bad taste. All in all the movie was well done. Matt Damon was a great choice for the role. White guy living in that hell sorta bridging the 2 worlds together.

Oh, I could not tell what was 3d and what wasn't. The only way was the obvious possibility shots. The close ups were impossible to tell. This movie set a new visual standard.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    The space station was Evidently inspired by halo

I haven't seen the movie but the toroid space station has a lot more history behind it than Halo.
  • whats_true
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    I haven't seen the movie but the toroid space station has a lot more history behind it than Halo.

Ah yes but the common feature I'm talking about is how both halo and elysium have an atmosphere rather than a material barrier between land and space. I thought that was really cool. Its so big that it sustains an atmosphere in a vacuum.

Elysium was easily the diameter of the death star.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    Ah yes but the common feature I'm talking about is how both halo and elysium have an atmosphere rather than a material barrier between land and space. I thought that was really cool. Its so big that it sustains an atmosphere in a vacuum.

Elysium was easily the diameter of the death star.

Toroidal space stations are a bit of an old 70's hard scifi thing. Larry Niven has a whole series about one called Ringworld where it's a massive open-ring world built by an extinct alien race. It's open to space but has these massive walls around the edges that are so tall they literally keep the artifical atmosphere contained within like the head on a beer.

Halo took that stuff and ran with it. Pretty cool stuff.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but just came across Aaron Beck's art blog.

I want to look like this, now please - kthx.

del_bot_04.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Mauro comes to mind when i look at this ...
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Ben Mauro comes to mind when i look at this ...

Well, Ben Mauro did work with Aaron Beck on Elysium too.

http://www.artofben.com/ELYSIUM

Oh, My Elysium art book arrived the other day. It's amazing. Didn't realize that they also got Syd Mead to work on the Elysium designs. Definately worth buying.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal wrote: »
    Well, Ben Mauro did work with Aaron Beck on Elysium too.

http://www.artofben.com/

No fway man, i already knew i had some flair but this is wwooohaaa you are right !!!! thanks for the headsup
  • Sculptaur
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Once again it appears my ability to switch off my brain saves the day, not that I would consider this low-par. So many people are dissing it and I have no idea what the problem is. Of course it's not District 9. I'm surprised anybody thought it would be the same.

Too amazing. i can't even deal
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message