Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - System 22 - Zipfinator

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
System 22 is a scientific facility located in a barren land on another planet, used as a research center to gauge the results of terraforming. The escape aspect of the environment is the unintended rapid growth of foliage from the facility, unable to be contained inside until further research of the soil is completed. Foliage is bursting from the neatly constructed panels of the facility and leaking out of the pipes infesting the soil of the unexplored planet, creating almost an oasis in the empty landscape.

For the facility this geodesic dome structure caught my attention and I've been wanting to mess around with it for a while.

Eden_Project_geodesic_domes_panorama.jpg

As for the landscape, I'm basing it off of the white desert in Egypt mainly because of the strange rock structures but also because I think the whiteness of it will contrast nicely with the colors of the foliage.

1_white_desert.jpg

White-Desert-Egypt.jpg

As for the aesthetic of the foliage I'm not quite sure what direction I'm going to take it in yet. Possibly something tropical. I'm at least planning to have a fair bit of flowers or color other than plain green mixed in to contrast with the monochromatic palette of the landscape.

I'll get up some more references soon and start planning the layout of the facility. I'm still not sure how much of the indoor I'll flesh out but I'm at least planning to have one shot from inside a dome showing a breach to outside. I may also have a friend draw some concepts and throw in some ideas for the foliage if he's interested.

Replies