Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

futuristic cutting tool / gun

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount,
I've been a long time admirer of a great deal of the work posted on here, it's always been a superb source of information and inspiration. I've learnt a great deal from reading through many of the threads on here and, after a great deal of time, I've decided to post something of my own.

It's not much at this stage, just my latest wip which I'd been working on over a long weekend; finally managed to get onto some texturing the other day and I'm open to any suggestions design wise, kinda hit a bit of a wall; as well as any comments on where it could be improved.

gun003x.jpg

gun004.jpg

guntexsheets01.jpg

Thanks in advance, Matt

Replies

• wolver
    little hard to judge the scale of it, i thought it was pistol sized at first glance then noticed the second handle, might be worth adding some scale ref.
    the nozzle looks like it has a few normal bake problems- wavy line.

i'd love to see it grunged up and used looking, looks perfect for it : )
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I had a hard time seeing how it would actually be held and function. I finally see now, but it took me a minute.

Why not add some arms and hands holding it for scale and illustration purposes, like what Paintforge suggested? It would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Oh wow, I really like this. Nice work on defining the different materials.

Some more edges on the hand grip might be good though since that part would be pretty large in an FPS view.
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    I think it would feel better if the rear grip was angled down, though that's just personal preference. Great job otherwise.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure you could actually hold the device straight with the way the rear handle is currently angled, or at least not at all comfortably. The grip needs to be rotated about 45 degrees towards body of the device.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintforge thanks for the advice, a scale ref would have probably been a smart thing to include, and yeah, the normal issues were caused by removing a few too many loops, I'm planning on heading back and redoing the geometry in areas like that once I'm happy with the overall texture as rebaking is something I'd rather do as little as possible. And grunge is something I had been intending to do from the outset, threw a bit of grime into the spec for this update.

Tobbo thanks for the advice, as I said above, adding a scale ref was something I foolishly overlooked

Norron Thanks, I agree with you on the grip, it definately needs to be smoother

Sparkwire Thanks

Jackablade
    I see what you mean, at the moment I'm a little torn as to whether or not I should change that feature as I think it would be usable, but as you said, not at all comfortably, I'll definately consider it when I get onto adjusting the geometry, thanks

Well here's a minor update, just working on getting the texture to a comfotable place, at the moment I think it's progressing toward something a bit more interesting but I'm always open to suggestions or advice in this area, I'm not too sure myself about the red but I felt that there needed to be a bit more colour in there.

gun005.jpg

And here's a scale reference as requested

gunscale.jpg

Thanks, Matt
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here's another update, probably the last I want to do to this model for a little while, unless I come up with something soonish, spent a bit longer than I would have liked on it so far and I'd rather move onto something new, however if any of you can think of anything that'd be very helpful and as always comments and crtiques are appreciated.

gun006.jpg

And a few orthographic shots...

gun007t.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you think and what not,
    Thanks again, Matt.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What if you added a swivel to the rear grip, perhaps replacing the two cylinders between the grip and body. It'd solve the problem of the device being really awkward to operate and giving the user RSI.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Comparing your first render to your latest one looks like the difference between the 'Security' and 'Resistance' weapons in Brink.
    http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/File:Select_Hockler_Security.jpg
    http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/File:Select_Hockler_Resistance.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade Thanks, I appreciate the advice, after taking a week or so off from working on this I do now see that the problem areas are more apparent than I'd first thought, ergonomically it certainly is off in certain areas, I think I'll try and revisit this design at some stage taking into account the changes that you and others have mentioned, thanks

KartoonHead it had always been my intention to dirty it up a bit, and the guns from brink were certainly a decent source of reference

Well, I havent done much more work on the gun above, although I definately plan on revisiting the design at some stage, there are some elements that I think work well and hopefully I'll be able to develop somewhat further as time goes on.

In the meantime however I started work on another gun over the christmas weekend between general christmas stuff.
    It really is my first experiment with the use of floaters and they certainly make one hell of a difference, I was toying with the idea of creating another thread or something but I thought that it'd make more sense to keep the forum free of the type of clutter I'm bound to produce, so from now on I think I'll just use this thread as a dumping ground or something similar, anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer and thanks in advance, matt.

presentation011.jpg

presentation012.jpg

presentation013.jpg

And here's a wireframe, still some optimization to do, I was trying to keep the whole thing, clip included under 6k which I managed, it's currently sat at 5359 tri's

wireframe01.jpg

And, finally, the textures, the gun itself uses a 1024*1024 map, and the clip a 512*512 map, I decided to keep the clip rather large simply because of it's scale in relation to the rest of the gun

gun01textures.jpg

clip01textures.jpg

Thanks in advance for any comments of any kind, Matt.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    sweet guns, one thing, try to tone down the field of view on the shots, it messes up the perception of scale and form. hard to judge how they look like when they become warped like that.

edit: woah, talk about a bump from the past.. heh, ehh srry! forgot I found this page via google search somehow and mixed it up with all the other tabs in chrome