Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MMO Hallway - WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BrianP polycounter lvl 7
This project is a Modular hallway set that is all hand painted. For my concept i am trying to go for a MMO hallway much like in world of warcraft where it can fit 25 + people.

Updated WIP:
2-11Hallway3.jpg

HallwayPaintover.jpg
HallwaySoFar.jpg

Here is my first stab at a hand painted texture. crits needed!

FloorTile_Inside_D.jpg

Replies

• Trevion3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevion3D polycounter lvl 9
    IMO i think it looks pretty good! i like the texture, im trying to learn how to hand paint like that myself. is that a paint over a geometry or just pure Paint?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Obviously try and break up the same arches besides adding those large ones in-between. Perhaps some distinct damage or colours.

You're doing well, the painting aspect immediately makes me think of MMO.
  • BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    Trevion3d - thanks! I started out by blocking out all of the geo in zbrush / max and got a good normal to start with. I actually started out by just purely painting first and found that doing the normal was taking entirely too long.

Getting the colors and lighting all working together is my biggest problem at this point.
  • Gotshoes
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotshoes polycounter lvl 9
    try something like this, maybe..... to help with the busyness/tiling of the arches. also with less arches it might feel bigger/more epic

5433756553_1709d4a846_z.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The pattern on the floor is rather distracting - the cracks in the blue, not the metal trimming. How about some more natural shaped stones?
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Hey dude looking good.

The floor is nice but you need to get the right lighting to make it effective, the overall lighting at the moment is very flat.
  • BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    Here is an update of what i have been doing! alot of work in UDK to get some good lighting and FX helped tons. im thinking about throwing lava out of the lights and adding some weapon racks and filler items for the walls.

mr bear - here is the new lighting. its still not colorful like i would like it and i think im going to play around with it more.

gochillis - i spread out the spikes and the beams. I think that the new big archways break it up even more. I think i will try what you suggested just to see how it works out a little later.

snader - yea im kinda thinking about doing some more natural stones now ill try and do a paint over of a pattern before i do it this time XD.

2-11Hallway1.jpg

2-11Hallway2.jpg

2-11Hallway3.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks pretty cool, how big is it really? Feels like the sense of scale is off somehow.
  • BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    scale does seem off now that you point it out.

Highres_Perspective_00016.jpg
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, I like it, too bad the scale is off :poly136:

Also fill the stones with pure white/gray/black and set it to overlay at low opacity, maybe it would help to break the flatness and bring some variations/deep in the stones.

Definitly looking forward to see more :)
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Bah. I think scale is good. At least if you are going to MMO-Dungeon-Style. Then everything is much bigger than it should be and giving such overhelimg feeling for you character.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scale is fine ofcourse for a big environment but it's definitely the floor-texture throwing it off. It doesn't make sense when the scale is off like that. =/
  • BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    I changed out that floor texture today with place holder to get my scale down better. I think this helped out tons with what chris was saying with the scale. I also incorporated what cremuss said in this new texture. no normal or spec on it though only diffuse for now. What do you guys think? better or worse?

TileChange.jpg
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Still crazy, they look like mice! Imagine the scene being half the size of that at least!

You may want to break the floor down into separate textures and give it more geometry to bring out definition in the trim, the individual slabs and what not.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the texture is better, the decorations on the side (on the floor-texture) needs to be smaller I believe. The thing to do here is to always grab screenshots from low-angles. That's how the player would've viewed it and that's what you've been focusing on. So instead of these IRL head-height shots go for low angle ones.

Good work so far man!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    I think the ground texture is way better now :)

The scale is a bit strange mainly because of the decorations on the side of the ground texture and the lights (candlestick thing) that are way to big.
    Let's say your guy is 2 meter tall then your hallway is about 20 meters tall, and candlestick would be about 6 meters. I'm fine with proportions being exaggerated but it's a little bit too much right now IMHO :)
    The wall texture scale may be a little bit off too.

Otherwise it's nice so far, the lighting is good and the fog is a nice touch :) Textures show a great potential too, so I'm looking for updates :poly142: