Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 3

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
ATTENTION: THE CHALLENGE NOW ENDS ON THE LAST DAY OF EACH MONTH STARTING THIS MONTH, SO JANUARY 31st Thank you for your time, I hope to see more finished stuff with this new deadline extension. Sorry for the capslock, it had to be done.
This month's concept:
5Y4BX.jpg

RULES:

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by piece. This can be broken down into a segments. Think about what will be unique, what will be tiled, what kinda textures you'll need to make, just plan before you go.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed parts all over.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Have fun!

PS: I am extremely familiar with Cryengine and can answer probably any question you happen to have when using it.

PSS: There will be a small prize for completion/best scene, not sure what it is yet, but it will be a steam game.
GOOD LUCK

PSSSS:
OPEN TO EVERYONE!

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been up over 34 hours, so I did this, I'll blockout when I wake.
    WLiFD.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome concept I want to get challenge two into udk and then I will get started on this.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Aww-Yeah-meme.png

Thanks for your hard work Alex and Cdeniz, good luck everyone, I'ma start tomorrow morning, night y'all.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Degree course deadline: 14/12/2012 3:30pm GMT

Won't be starting on this much later than that! Looking at previous threads it looks to generate a lot of really good and hard work not to mention the amount of help that is given and knowledge that is passed on to others. I can't wait!
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES! it has begun , once I m out of work I will start with the blockout, thank you guys for making these challenges , I will do my best.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone,

Okay so I am definantly joining in on this and well i went ahead and blocked this out myself *PLEASE NOTE* in no way shape or form is this me blocking it out to explain for everyone this is just for myself wait for a block out from Alex or Cdeniz.

but basicly i blocked it out by levels of detail. for example the greys oranges greens and reds are all level one of detail since they consist of the floors and walls and main structural details next up the blues both light and dark i see as level two so first phase of props that are bigger and could get in someones way. then finally in yellow and purple i have the lights and wiring which i see as final details to make the area seem more believable.

now my blocking out is just looking at the project from a modeling aspect. I am not a good or proficient texture artist however I am working on it. so later I will add some sketches of my proposed floor plan for the project.

*EDIT*Okay so I came to a conclusion that the concept image is a bit ambiguous so in order to create a nice atmosphere im going to attempt to make this a serial killer basement so the section of the basement that isnt visible in the concept image ill transform into the killers domain.

2h6t3t4.jpg
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    I definitely need practice so I think I'll join in on this. Is it okay if I make it in the Source Engine, and make the style a little exaggerated and cartoony? (like banjo kazooie or something) or should I stick to realism? Either way would be good practice for me.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think whatever will help you out the most, this is for learning, right?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely need practice so I think I'll join in on this. Is it okay if I make it in the Source Engine, and make the style a little exaggerated and cartoony? (like banjo kazooie or something) or should I stick to realism? Either way would be good practice for me.

Whatever engine you want.
  • matt1146
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be joining in on this one too will be first time trying this
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blockout
    081XY.jpg
    I feel I got the scale perfect in game, except that door, the concept has a few wierd things about it.

This concept has some weird errors. Like where the stairs meet the roof.

I tried to plan this out.
    Also I hope you like my abstract art.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    pretty Challenging this 1 is ...
    is there any limits for the polycount or textures size ?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely giving this a try
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright guys , I started late so here is what I have so far.

ColorBlockout01_zpseafff6b4.jpg

I still need to check if there more light sources

TopdownMap_zpsbd381fe4.jpg

This a quick blockout I did to start getting some dimensions I will fix it after some rest , those stairs are huge.

Quick3dBlockout_zpsf5622978.jpg

I will sleep for a while its almost 3 am around here. see ya guys
  • Trawler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trawler polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, i'll be joining in with this monthly challenge this time around.

Here is the basic block out of the scene that I have done in Max. It's fairly rough but I have read up on basic UDK measurements and I have attempted at doing some modular work here! Lemme know if you think anything is off? :)

blockout.jpg
  • Rakart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna join this month challenge too.
    I really want to dive in the world of environmental design but I'm coming from almost lvl 0 so I guess it will teaches me a lot.

First I tried to do a plan of how I was feeling the proportions, something I can refer on while I'm modeling this.

1355487760-proportions.jpg

Then I'll start the blockout when I'll come home.
    This is basically the top and front view done in illustrator for the main objects I will start with.
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    I'm in, doing the blockout
  • Axeum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycountimage1.jpg

Hi Guys,

This is my first time doing anything like this. I have modeled a basic layout of the scene. I plan to make it into a brewery cellar or a Dexter kill room? Let me know what you think =]

Thanks

Axeum
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Those color and 3d blockouts looking good guys. I suggest making a plan and trying to stick with it.

I will attempt this same as the last two months
    Week 1: Modelling
    Week 2: Texturing
    Week 3: In the engine
    Week 4: Touch up, improvements

If you stick to one part too long you tent to get bored and the progress slows down, at least for me anyway.
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I'm in! =) I'll begin with my "mindmap" and then blockout later! =)
  • TJ062
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My 3d blockout:
    nYY8.png
    yellowish parts represent unique assets
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    shit its up! Deffo need to join in on this one but I am going home to where I don't have a computer until the 30th so it will have to be a late submission D: at worst I'll enter the 4th one :P
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    This looks effing sweet - why not, i badly need the practice, so i think i'll join too!
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Montee_ polycounter lvl 8
    I'm in!! I have some other projects I need to do over the next month so I might get side tracked but I will try my best to get it done :)

Here's a little look at how I will modulate the scene will try to get a block out done by the end of the night :)

Basement_Modulation.jpg
  • Metzger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Throwing my hat into the ring. Did a quick Colour Block Out and a Block out in 3Ds max. Nothing sinister or out of the ordinary in this place. Just an old man's basement. Except I only had a Alien to use for the scale ref. But he has wrinkles... that counts right?

MNC_ColorBlockOut_zpsf87feb75.jpg

MNC_BlockOutScreen_zps5afdfda6.jpg
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Montee_ polycounter lvl 8
    just a quick thought is anyone else seeing a strange perspective shift in the concept?? I can't help but look at the stairs and then the floor next to it and think... Do the stairs get wider at the top??

If you look the stairs end at the top in line with where the floor ends at the bottom. Its really confusing my vision lol :S
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would love to see this challenge done by someone where the materials are treated just as they are in the concept. a soft edging from the normals to give it the black lines. bonus points if its dynamic and not baked.

cool exercise.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Montee_ wrote: »
    just a quick thought is anyone else seeing a strange perspective shift in the concept?? I can't help but look at the stairs and then the floor next to it and think... Do the stairs get wider at the top??

If you look the stairs end at the top in line with where the floor ends at the bottom. Its really confusing my vision lol :S

There is a lot of really weird stuff and the perspective is off a small bit.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz wrote: »
    Those color and 3d blockouts looking good guys. I suggest making a plan and trying to stick with it.

I will attempt this same as the last two months
    Week 1: Modelling
    Week 2: Texturing
    Week 3: In the engine
    Week 4: Touch up, improvements

If you stick to one part too long you tent to get bored and the progress slows down, at least for me anyway.

This is a great work schedule and I think its going to be the way I tackle this months challenge.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    _Montee_ wrote: »

yeah i stopped while blocking out at the stairs part
    it appears that the stairs are 45 degrees ?
    but when i make it 45 it doesn't match with the picture ?
    i also tried making the stairs 30 degrees but still feels odd

good thing we have the option to alter it a little bit

i like were this is going tho :poly142:
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Lol yeah I discovered that it's an optical illusion where the stairs meet the ceiling. It's as if the diagonal wooden plank reaches out towards the camera, but gets smaller towards the top. I'm gonna have to alter it a bit so it won't end up matching up with the support beam on the ceiling.
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guilherme_rambelli polycounter lvl 5
    pretty cool, i will start my envi soon than i will post something already, i definetely will join in this challenge XD
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok here's my break down. Not really much different from the others probably.

9SJVi.jpg

Will start with blocking out in maya probably today....

Nice progress all. Man you guys are fast. :P
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    The proportions are tricky - Robroy, the door size when compared to the steps looks quite small and i think there's an opening behind the staircase, it doesnt feel closed off as you've blocked out.

Great breakdowns all-around, i'm struggling with finding a good size for the modular system 256 in height feels too 'big' for a basement.

My feeble attempt at organizing this room, gawd it's gonna be hard not overthinking this, and some of the perspective is kinda wonky (which doesnt help, but i guess thats why its open to interpretation :)
    Added a Blockout & Ingame view from Unity
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My UDK blockout of the scene.

Capture.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Can't see any picture, tkfxity?
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Here's my blockout so far. Stairs are still giving me some problem regarding scale.
    Also, sorry for the larger pic (height).
    4o3gC.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the first wood texture, this will be my tile-able for a lot of the wood assets, I will make probably about 2-3. Next I'm making the tiles for the floor when I get back from work.nGrs8.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh, nice texture you have there!

Speaking of it, i wanted to asked earlier and forgot, can we take a tad more cartoonish approach, or does it have to be realistic? Somewhat half-cartoonish could be a nice exercise....
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is my picture showing up at my top post? I can see it on my pc and my phone.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    No, not really, atleast not me...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky wrote: »
    Oh, nice texture you have there!

Speaking of it, i wanted to asked earlier and forgot, can we take a tad more cartoonish approach, or does it have to be realistic? Somewhat half-cartoonish could be a nice exercise....

Honestly the style came across as mostly realistic to me, but it also has a super slight borderlands feel in the lines somehow. As long as it's not over the top cartoony why not.
    Just make sure you're not doing anything to make it easier than sticking to the concept.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to give this contest a go since I never really touched udk soo... time to learn something.

here's my breakdown so far.

plan.jpg
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those metal shelving that can be seen at either end of the basement side with the stairs... they look like they are the same shelving unit, and so in theory could be replicated meshes, but they also look a lot different in sizes. Is this just a perspective issue on the concept?
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, I could not participate in the previous versions but Im gonna try in this one :D.

Heres the color blockout:
    IzQ2D.jpg

And a 3D blockout:
    olR6K.jpg

Like all of you are telling, the proportions are a bit weird.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel as if the passageway at the bottom of the stairs is too wide in your 3D blockout, Dvonio :)
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Jack Ryan wrote: »
    I feel as if the passageway at the bottom of the stairs is too wide in your 3D blockout, Dvonio :)

Yeah, I saw it too, but the problem is if I shrink it, then the space between the colums dont match the concept, it was quick, still have to work in it a bit, thank you.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    namnlsno.jpg

This is my blockout. I'm going to try my luck here. Hopefully learn a thing or two. Downloading UDK at the moment. Yep, noob of the noobs! =)