Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

University FYP Environmental effects

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Parralax polycounter lvl 4
Hi Polycounters,

I am doing my final year project for university and just wondered if I could get any feedback on it from the community,

The pictures below show my thunderstorm and winter scenes (I would post videos but I'm on my laptop at the minute and the frame rate cannot keep up),

RAIN;

rain1.jpg

rain2.jpg

SNOW;

snow1.jpg

snow2.jpg

Any critiques on either of the effects or the city in general would be appreciated.

Replies

• Parralax
    Offline / Send Message
    Parralax polycounter lvl 4
  • TJ062
    the snow effect looks really good, but the rain could use some reflective materials on the ground and such to imitate as if its wet.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    As TJ said, a reflective material on the ground and some kind of particle effect for splashes would work really well. You can use a screen capture reflect actor and a cool material setup. Have a browse on the UDN
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    I would definitely look at improving the quality of the models, some hi-poly sculpts and hard surface stuff giving you some height maps, detailed normals and a better final result will offer far more in terms of vertex painting which can add some really fantastic detail into the snow and rain.

I would also check out DX11 features in Unreal for the Rain (Image Based Reflections), add a noise into the specular map to add a glistening on the snow.

And check out some cascade tutorials, especially the Eat3d resources, specifically the cinematic tutorial for the rain.