Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MMA Fighter WIP

Replies

• oskarreftel
    I'm feeling fairly done with the face for now. I'm going to have the entire character finished and up on my portfolio on friday.

The texture is done with photos from 3d.sk (the model is simply named as Libor) projected in B&W onto the mesh in Mudbox, then multiplied on top of the color base i made in zbrush before. Then it's just lots of regular photoshopping. This is probably the highest level of anything I've ever done in 3D art so I'd really appreciate all feedback I can get! :)

face1ja.jpg
    face2h.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's rendered in maya's viewport 2.0 using KoddeShader 2.0 by polycount member Kostas Gialitakis (http://www.kostas.se). Thanks, Kostas!
  • ZASkaggs
    This is really coming together now. Looking very nice.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Skin textures are looking great. I feel like it all needs darkening more. He's looking a bit pasty. I would also darken the colour of his eyes more. Also having a fake shadow running along the top helps to sell the eyes. That can be done with a plane and a transparent to black gradient.

Bit like this:
    RpeKMrK.jpg

This is looking way better than your previous work by the way.
  • oskarreftel
    Thanks, guys! I'm gonna give the eyes and skin tones some more work, following your suggestions. Right now I'm trying things out in marmoset and here's where I'm at.

fightermarmosetwip.jpg

As you might see, I've got some real issues with normals not working on mirrored UV's (right arm and leg) Things look fine in Maya though, and I've checked for potential reversed normals. Here's the Maya version compared to the Marmoset one:

normalmapproblems.jpg

Please help! :(

And here's a shot from Maya with Koddeshader 2.0:

fightermayawip.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not making the deadline I had set for myself, which was last friday, but I'm gonna take it as a learning experience and try to plan better next time. Seeing your interest in my development is really uplifting! :)
  • oskarreftel
    I'm still not sure wheather I should present my final work in marmoset or with the kaddeshader. Anyways, here's where I'm at in marmoset. Eyes need to be adjusted.. I followed Ben Mathis's tutorial on doing real time eye shading and I really like how it works in Maya but for some reason I can't get the shine on the outer shell to work in marmoset.

fighterwip.jpg
    fighterwip2.jpg

Spec for the gloves probably have to be adjusted too, right?
  • oskarreftel
    I think I'm starting to get the gloves right?

screenshot1wi.jpg
  • oskarreftel
    I think I'm feeling done with this guy. I'm going to put him up on my portfolio in the beginning of next week.

I missed the deadline I sat for myself with more than a week but I'm going to take it as a learning experience and try to plan better next time.
    I feel like I've grown a lot as an artist through this project and I have you guys to thank for it. Without your thoughtful feedback and pointers I would've never managed to get the result I got and I'm truly grateful for your time and effort to help me in the right direction! Sincerely, thank you!

screenshot4iq.jpg
    screenshot3gt.jpg
    screenshot2wzj.jpg
  • oskarreftel
    I noticed how the silhouette of his pecs and nipples were crap and fixed it. Cost me about 60 tris but I think it was worth it. Portfolio tomorrow! :)

nipfix.jpg
  • oskarreftel
  • ftorek
    looking good - i really like the muscle definition on his back! and the general balance between details and smooth areas (like veins on his shoulders and so on)

not too keen on his eyes - especially the deformation of eyelids - it just doesn't 'sound' right :)

but all in all - awesome :)
  • oskarreftel
    Thank you! Yeah, now that you mention it, his eyelids look a bit weird. Mostly in the pictures where he's looking down, right? I had a hard time with the materials on his eyes too. I followed Ben Mathis' tutorial, which gave me good results in maya, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work in marmoset. My problem is the outer shell of the eyes are getting too dark from the cubemap (which I need to get reflections) and while I could crank the sky brightness up to fix that, it would also change the lighting of the entire scene. I think the only way I could fix it is to skip the outer shell, rework my spec and gloss map, and change the geometry of the eyelobe. I'll probably play around with that soon.. :P
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice final presentation. Love the lighting.
    Only tweak I would do is to add an edge in the middle of each toe - they look too square! As a character that'll have his feet up in the air a lot it's worth those extra tri's.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I really love the texture work and the way you got that shader working in general. Awesome job! The face looks particularly good to me, lots of character there, its great really.

The main critique I have is I think due to the way he is deforming in the arms, when his arms are down like in the last shot. his deltoids and bis/tris are all pushed way down as well. Take a look at some reference again to see what I mean. One solution might be to just not show him posed like that, or you could cheat a little and tweak stuff manually (destroying the rig to just make it look right). Or of course just re-weight him, but I'm not totally sure that you will ever get perfect results without manual edits. Anyway, since your not a animator I think it would be ok to do the manuel edits.

Great job with this though, I'm really impressed! :)
  • oskarreftel
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the time and insight you've given me along this project, you've been of great help!

I'm gonna fix an extra edge along each toe and look over the deformation around the shoulders again. I lowered his clavicle joints quite a bit for that shot so that might be the problem. I'll get some reference and try to make it better. Skipping that pose all together is not an option, it's my favorite!

Stay tuned for tweaks! :)