Updates so far:

Theme: Spytech's "spy another way" pack
or "essential kit for clean killing"

tf2micoupdate.png

Weapon slot #2: Meelee weapon
Alternative weapon #1: The electro-taser
Replace the knife

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61vXJFbVRG0[/ame]

a prototype nuclear pile powered taser to shock your ennemies to death.
send them the chill to the spine without getting any blood on your suit!

Instant kill on backtasing
crits on any hit (except the fireaxe pyro and a bonesaw medic)
2.5 second cooldown between hits
ammo of 3 discharges
(can refill ammo with ammo pack and supply cabinet)

Weapon slot #1: Primary weapon
Alternative weapon #1: dart shooter (name pending)
Replace the revolver

0001uk.png

Use air compression to shoot small poisonned darts. no more gun powder on your hands anymore!

Alternative weapon #2: Sap shooter (name pending)
Replace the revolver
0002t.png
Same dammage as revolver
Can sap buildings from a distance
3 second reloading for each shot
-80% ammo
note: possibility of shooting other kinds of projectils aswell.

Weapon slot #3: Watches
Alternative weapon #3: The blank shot (name pending)
Replace the watch

watchscreeny.png

integrated microphone, powerfull tiny speakers, holographic projector, this watch has it all!
Can use and fire the primary weapon of the class you're disguised
Does'nt do any dammage to anyone
no cloaking
The cloak meter represent the blank ammo meter
RMB to switch between the real weapons and the fak weapons

Hat slot
The satelhat v.2
Level 23 portable baccarat detector
satelhat.gif
Misc slot
The wiretape
Level 27 sound recording device
wiretapscreeny.png
Note: All stats and functionalities above are optional, they can still be used as simple "skins" of their replacement without changing their gameplay mechanics.

Progress thread below.

Hi polycount, I chose the spy for the weapon pack that I'll make.

First is gonna be an alternative weapon for the knife.

The knife alternative will be: the electro-taser

I take a good look at the current weapons and liked how some had wires going around a bit. Also how things a just blatantly taped on the razorback. I also took the switches on the sapper and the big button on the PDA.

http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/thumb/f/f6/Demolish_PDA_HUD_OFF.jpg/800px-Demolish_PDA_HUD_OFF.jpg
http://media.playhaven.com/hOfeQpYgt5dPOGCs4FqDjw/huge/sapper.jpg
http://www.tfportal.de/gfx/content/tf2/weapons/sniperrifle_large.png
http://www.tfportal.de/gfx/content/tf2/weapons/sniper_razorback_large.png

Here's the model I've came with so far, The UVs are also finished.
0001ic.png

Also here's another view of the model with the UV layout.
screenytaser.th.jpg

Next step: Texturing

Replies

• Twigbag
    Diggin it, Total fits the style!
  • Vitius
    I'm always a fan of ambient occlusion. Model looks great! I say you're ready for textures.

I'm guessing the switch is for turning it on and big red button closes the circuit and makes it go zap?
  • Incapability
    I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of this, so far it looks interesting!
  • tex_cookiedough
    awesome work perfect style i think (y)
  • Mico27
    Alternative weapon #1: The electro-taser
    Replace the knife

Instant kill on backtasing
    crits on any hit (except the fireaxe pyro and a bonesaw medic)
    2.5 second cooldown between hits
    ammo of 3 discharges
    (can refill ammo with ammo pack and supply cabinet)

Alternative weapon #2: Sap shooter (name pending)
    Replace the revolver

Can sap buildings from a distance
    3 second reloading for each shot
    -80% ammo

Alternative weapon #3: The blank shot (name pending)
    Replace the watch

Can use and fire the primary weapon of the class you're disguised
    Does'nt do any dammage to anyone
    no cloaking
    The cloak meter represent the blank ammo meter
    RMB to switch between the real weapons and the fak weapons

Will post texture progress shortly.
  • Puffstoole
    Spy's weapons are all sleek/custom manufactured for their specific purpose rather than 'cobbled together', like the Sniper's items. The other items you're making should keep within that style, so the taser doesn't seem out of place.
    Other than that, the taser looks great!
  • Mico27
    Textures for the electro-taser are finished. Includes a diffuse map, a specular map and a self-illumination map. (no normal map, may add one if necessary)

Here's the shaded version:
    0001t.png
    Here's the non-shaded version (pure diffuse)
    0002k.png
    Next step: work for a design on the sap-shooter, will look into putting the electro-taser ingame later.
  • Fragus
    The idea is cool and awesome BUT, and this is a big but, "The contest says the weapon has to keep the functionality of the weapon it's replacing"
  • Mico27
    Fragus wrote: »
    The idea is cool and awesome BUT, and this is a big but, "The contest says the weapon has to keep the functionality of the weapon it's replacing"
    It does keep the functionality of the knife. like (almost) every alternate weapons, it simply has slight pro and cons differences. However for the other two weapons I agree that I'm really stretching it BUT they still fullfill the spy's funtionality and role.
  • Mico27
    0002h.png
    Here's the model for the blankshot watch. a little projector projecting an hologram (will just be a cone will some kind of holographic texture) an incorporated mic and 2 tiny speakers. I had the idea of the spy mimicking the sounds of the fake weapon he is shouting in the mic. So for the other team it will look like it will really fire the weapon but from the other teammates they see you making pewpew sounds in the watch. (like how you actually only wear a mask while disguised but you still fool the other team in looking exactly like another class)

UVs are done.

• Fragus
    How do you draw the "brush-TF2" textures? Do you use presets?
  • Fragus
    Mico27 wrote: »
    0002h.png
    Here's the model for the blankshot watch. a little projector projecting an hologram (will just be a cone will some kind of holographic texture) an incorporated mic and 2 tiny speakers. I had the idea of the spy mimicking the sounds of the fake weapon he is shouting in the mic. So for the other team it will look like it will really fire the weapon but from the other teammates they see you making pewpew sounds in the watch. (like how you actually only wear a mask while disguised but you still fool the other team in looking exactly like another class)

UVs are done.

THIS is really awesome! But I think it needs too much proprietary stuff-sounds,holographics,animations,scripts...
  • Mico27
    For the method I used to do the texture TF2 style I can provide the PSD I made for the diffuse texture of the electro-sapper so you can look it more in depth:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IRLT4VKV

Also for the sound stuff for the blank shot, I'll probably manage to provide some sample sound (ho luck I'm french) and for the "holographic" part like I said will just be an animated texture on a cone model attached to the watch. For the animations, I know a few poeple who can help me with that. As for the script part, I guess I can't do much but let that part to the guys at valve.
  • Ikimono
    For the sapper, I would use a darker tone so that it doesn't distract from "the big red button," Which is a very good key piece on the model.
  • Mico27
    I finished the Texture for the blankshot watch.
    The hologram effect is a place holder tough, I'll see if I can manage to get a similar shader in a VMT. Also Blender dont really have multiple smoothing groups and I plan on exporting it to 3ds max also for rigging and exporting it into a SMD file for compiling.
    0002w.png0005d.png
    Next step: modelling the sap-shooter.
  • Blue Paratroopa
  • BANG!
  • Vitius
    Ikimono wrote: »
    For the sapper, I would use a darker tone so that it doesn't distract from "the big red button," Which is a very good key piece on the model.

I assume you mean taser but I agree. The beige colour looks a bit off and I think a darker colour would look better.

All your stuff looks excellent though.
  • Mico27
    modelviewin.jpg
    Finally managed to get the model replace the knife, was harder and took more time to manage to import it then modelling/texturing it :(
    All needed left it making the custom animations so the spy can hold it right and look for some particles to add in.
  • youngoli
    Am I the only one who thinks that would probably also make a good sapper replacement?
  • EvilShadow777
    Quite honestly, your taser looks like it could potentially be a sapper, but if you can get it to be shown that it's obviously a melee weapon in the animations, then by all means go for it, but it really seems like it could easily be a sapper.
  • Xeramon
    I realy love that skins !
  • BANG!
    Nope i really like it too =D
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    youngoli wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that would probably also make a good sapper replacement?

After a quick skim through I thought it WAS a sapper replacement.

I'd definitely consider changing it's use to the sapper instead of the knife as that seems to make most sense.
  • Naso
    Altho It could be a sapper replacement, maybe mico should make two diffrent moddles that diffrer slightly, like the knife replacement should have a sharp end to it, since I'm guessing it kills by poking them and pressing the button? Maybe they should be two small daggers that are charged by the batteries instead of the antennas.
  • Xeramon
    Naso wrote: »
    Altho It could be a sapper replacement, maybe mico should make two diffrent moddles that diffrer slightly, like the knife replacement should have a sharp end to it, since I'm guessing it kills by poking them and pressing the button? Maybe they should be two small daggers that are charged by the batteries instead of the antennas.

Word !
  • Mico27
    0002j.png
    And here's the third weapon: the sap-shooter (still need to find a decent name tough).
    UV mapped and ready for texturing.
    The way the sap-shooter works it that the spy places a sapper (which let suppose there is a small pole behind it, but you actually never see behind the sapper ingame :) )
    and once the sapper placed on the rail and pulled, the spy crank it by turning the sapper which at the same time makes the cord tighter. Then when the spy presses the trigger, the sapper spins very fast and is propulsed on the rail and glides away.
    Here's a close-up on the details:
    0001nd.png
    At first the silhouette looked too much like the ambassador so I made the lower part of the gun more slanted.
  • Khthon
    Are you going to custom animate?
  • EvilShadow777
    I'm not sure you'd be allowed to put that in the contest, it defies the current weapon functions of the Spy as is thus breaking that rule, this contest is very limiting, focus more on making a theme or a work of art here rather than unique weapons. Seems a bit unusual but it's less work for Valve in the end, the more unique the weapon is, the less likely it is to get in. The more creative and similar to the originals it is, the more likely it is to get in.
  • Mico27
    0001yw.png
    The sap-shooter still looks a bit bland for the moment, should I add some sort of engraving like on the ambassador?
    Also I'll probably make an alternative animation where it will shoot some sort of other projectils, that way it will fill the same purpose as the original revolver instead of sapping from a distance.
  • pw pw pw
    It already looks dangerously similar to the ambassador as it is. I would try to reshape the big wide piece a bit, because there doesn't seem to be much reason for it to be that big.

It also seems like a departure from your theme. The taser is a high-tech reimagining of the knife, and the sapper launcher is much lower-tech than any of the other spy gadgets. They don't look like they belong together. I would rethink the whole "rubber band" thing and maybe consider alternate methods of propulsion.
  • Mico27
    I made some changes so that it doesnt look too much like the ambassador, toned down the colors of the textures, added a normal map and a few more details.
    0002t.png
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Pretty. A lot of folks going for bow-based mechanics on things lately! I particularly like the handle.
  • RoronoaDSanji
    what is ur theme? i like all of ur items, but they dont look connected.
  • Mico27
    what is ur theme? i like all of ur items, but they dont look connected.

Well at first I wasnt really aware that in the rules there was supposed to be a theme. I was mostly thinking up of alternative weapons that can offer the posibility adding new gameplay actions and can still be used to fullfill the same role as the replaced weapon.
    Ex: the electro-taser can be used the same way the knife is being used.
    As for the sap-shooter, it offer the opportunity of shooting sappers from a distance while it can as well simply be used to shoot some other kind of projectil and be used just like the normal revolver.
    For the blankshot watch, It's a bit harder as to simply make a replacement that wont change the gameplay much, but it still can be used as a skin and fullfill the same purpose as the normal watch.
  • RoronoaDSanji
    sorry, but i still dont get what the theme is? i get taht everything will be function like the old weapon, but this whole update is about theme
    oh, and please dont make the watch just normal watch, i really like the idea of fake weapon firing.
    side notes: while you can suggest the stats and function of the weapon, valve can choose not to use it , if they dont like it, or is too hard for them to do (u know how lazy they are)

so make sure every step u take is about the art and theme, gameplay is for valve
  • RoronoaDSanji
    posted in the wrong thread D=
    edit*
  • Mico27
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3L5O5TPZWU[/ame]

A HUUUUUUGE thanks to sparkwire for helping me animating for the contest!
  • youngoli
    That looks really cool actually! The animations are all really good too, and the lightning effects are a nice touch. Also, the Ratatat music never hurts.

Only two things bothered me. The jigglebones on the wire looked really strange, IMO. You could probably be fine just removing them, or you could try fixing them. Right now it seems like the wires are made of jello. Also, with the backstab animation the lightning seems to shoot off to the side somewhere. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be doing, but it looks a little weird.
  • Mico27
    I edited the OP (original post/ First post) With everything that has been done so far.
    I also added the theme of my pack.

IMO the animation part is the most time consuming part :(

@youngoli: Yes I'll work on the jigglebones a bit more, will probably make it a bit more rigid. As for the electricity that use a particle system, it still need some work on it.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Mico27 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3L5O5TPZWU

A HUUUUUUGE thanks to sparkwire for helping me animating for the contest!

Awesome! that is really great (particles need work thought)

He taught you to animate or did it for you, either way what package are you using, share your knowledge please!
  • Tahrinya
    I can't watch the video's as I am at college at the moment, but your models look amazing! I la-la-la-la-looovvee the watch (:
  • Fragus
    the taser animations are spot on! slow but deadly! LOVE IT!
  • Khthon
    Taser looks much better than I first thought it would in-game. Wire should be more rigid, I concur.
  • Mico27
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61vXJFbVRG0[/ame]

BEHOLD, an atomic pile charged prototype taser!
    now with improoved particles, animations, textures and sounds!
  • Khthon
    Oh wow, that 'indicating you can backstab' pose/particles is a wonderful touch.I really can't see Valve turning this down unless they can't think of good stats (they never made a new knife before).
  • youngoli
    I think the best touch is the little dial on the bottom actually moving. These animations are awesome. :O
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great! I can really see it being a problem gameplay wise though if you can hold it down and one hit kills a person in the back. People would just run around holding it down hoping it'd hit someones back.

EDIT: Actually on a second watch it looks like it's charging? Sorry if it's been said somewhere else in this thread. I haven't been following this thread closely so I haven't read most of the posts in it.
  • komfyrion
    The knife replacement is so awesome (with the new animations so fancy-and-all)! But the jigglebones on the wires still look sorta weird, and as earlier stated (which i didnt bother quoting) the spy has a perfectly manufactured look not like the homemade style of some other classes, so in my opinion you could lose the loose wires/make them internal/external but trimmed and neatly placed along the side of the weapon, or something..
    And keep up the good work!
  • Mico27
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Looking great! I can really see it being a problem gameplay wise though if you can hold it down and one hit kills a person in the back. People would just run around holding it down hoping it'd hit someones back.

EDIT: Actually on a second watch it looks like it's charging? Sorry if it's been said somewhere else in this thread. I haven't been following this thread closely so I haven't read most of the posts in it.

No it act the same way as the knife for now because it's only pure visual changes.
    I only changed the model,animation,sounds and added particles (all that client side only) So you just can't hold on the button and run around, it still work exactly the same as the knife.
    But like I said earlier in this thread (the first post) I've shown the stats for it that I had in mind while working on it.