XoliulShader 2

Replies

• glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    xoliul_01.jpg
    xoliul_02.jpg
    xoliul_03.jpg

Just booted xoliuls shader 2 and some screen grabs after playing with the materials for like 10 mins. So much easier, looks way better. I'll do some zombie characters i have around as well.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Firstly thanks :) the shader works great. really really nice.
    On a slight downer im getting alot of NodeEventCallback exceptions, quite often when i detach meshes.
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Small question, how is the Reflection map worked on if you don't mind me asking? Is it an Emissive based reflection or Diffuse one?

whaaaaat? that question makes very little sense.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Small question, how is the Reflection map worked on if you don't mind me asking? Is it an Emissive based reflection or Diffuse one?

Hey, interesting question. There's actually two passed in the shader. The second pass is reflection only. I think I switched to this system in 1.3, solved a lot of problems with hitting SM3.0 limits.
    So it is additive.

Thanks all for the nice words and examples !
  • Nysuatro
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Firstly thanks :) the shader works great. really really nice.
    On a slight downer im getting alot of NodeEventCallback exceptions, quite often when i detach meshes.

Hmm i will take a look at the callback problem when i have a pc again
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Nysuatro wrote: »
    Hmm i will take a look at the callback problem when i have a pc again

thanks, if I can do anything to help PM me.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Congratz on the release dude, this Shader rocks!! :D

I'm hoping to get a skin preset to share around soon!
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Hey, interesting question. There's actually two passed in the shader. The second pass is reflection only. I think I switched to this system in 1.3, solved a lot of problems with hitting SM3.0 limits.
    So it is additive.

Thanks all for the nice words and examples !

Nice, thanks for the info, and congrats on this big release, must have been a real hurdle :)
    r_fletch_r wrote: »

I guess it doesn't, sorry about that, what I mean is simplest terms is, when using a reflection map, you have two ways to go, either put it in the Emissive slot, in which it will not take into account the calculation the direct falloff of light position (EI: outdoor scenes which have pure ambient lights) or put in into the Diffuse slot (EI: indoor scenes, which take into account light positioning as normal).

So generally speaking, in game engines like UDK, outdoor objects will take the Reflection map into the emissive while indoor objects will take it into the Diffuse since the calculate the values very differently. Going one step further, you can put up a 'general' gradient based ambient map into the Alpha slot of said cubemap and tint it, to emulate bright and dark areas in your cubemap, again, pending on which slot you put into, and how you want it to act with the environment.

I was just curious if Xoliul found a way to make a switch on the fly through simple spinner values, or allow total user control on said function without the need of pesky switches :)

Addendum: Maybe we're mixing terms on what I mean since I was talking in layman terms, but with all due respect to the following post, reflection will have a great deal difference pending on how it's calculated pending which slot it occupies around, on or with the light and what terms are used to said calculation, which is the case with UDK, hence reason I was asking Xoliul on how it was calculated in Max since there are sever restriction which I wasn't able to control.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace: reflection maps have nothing to do with the lights in the scene. they're filling in the areas around the lights.

Getting alot of weird error but the shader itself is really nice. Its very nice having Spec and Reflection bound together. thats one thing i dont like about 3point.
    i_approve.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Laurens and Nysuatro for your awesome work updating an already awesome shader! I use it on all of the assets I make as soon as I get my normals baked, such an awesome tool for real time feedback as well as fancy screenshot making.

Whenever I start adding texture maps I get this error:

thumbnailError.jpg

Presumably it is unable to create the temporary thumbnail for the texture. After getting the error the shader no longer responds to any changes made in the material interface.

I dont get this error running max (2010 64bit) as admin, so it's not a horrible issue, but it would be nice to not have to right click and run as admin each time I start max.

Thanks again for making such an awesome shader!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I have some issues with dark parts of my textures, could it be a gamma problem ? I have it set to 2.2 like in the shader.

EDIT : Actually, it was indeed a gamma issue, I deactivated the gamma in Max, BUT my .psd files were rendered extremely dark. I replaced them with jpegs and it worked fine...

376049ee33834343441541c8488e465d.jpg
  • myles
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe this has already been mentioned but when you download the full version it mentions something about some cubemaps coming with it? Are this in 3DSMax folders somewhere?

Anyway awesome work, very easy to use.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The cubemaps are in the Max scripts folder.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    my fav shader to work with

good job dude

made that speschiallly for you

mp5new20113copy.jpg

u can replace the one u have on your site now
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    endo wrote: »
    Awesome release Xoliul :D

Did some more messing around with it over lunch, does wonders at polishing up unfinished turds
    310911_cba35_01.jpg

wow! :O
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Thanks Laurens and Nysuatro for your awesome work updating an already awesome shader! I use it on all of the assets I make as soon as I get my normals baked, such an awesome tool for real time feedback as well as fancy screenshot making.

Whenever I start adding texture maps I get this error:

thumbnailError.jpg

Presumably it is unable to create the temporary thumbnail for the texture. After getting the error the shader no longer responds to any changes made in the material interface.

I dont get this error running max (2010 64bit) as admin, so it's not a horrible issue, but it would be nice to not have to right click and run as admin each time I start max.

Thanks again for making such an awesome shader!

That's easy to solve.
    Just give the Xoliul or Scripts folder full read/write rights.

access_n_rights.jpg

Folder Properties > Safety > Choose User > edit > Choose User > Tick "Full Access" > Click OK
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Xoliul,

It seems that the invert Y axis boolean function don't work at all. So we get strange normal map here. But if i invert my normal map G channel (Y axis) directly inside photoshop the result is ok.

Can you please check this for us ? By the way you did an awseome work !!!

Thanks a ton !!!
  • Nysuatro
    You will probably have to wait some days because he is quite bussy and i do not have a pc atm.
    But we will take a look at it as fast as possible
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGE_PM polycounter lvl 10
    Hm... everything seems ok, no problems with instalation... but shader is not listed ... (using max 2012, and switched to d3d in customize/preferences)

this error appears when trying to manually run shader (drag XoliulShader_Startup to max)

error.jpg

any ideas? Thanks
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Sup Xoliul!

you have Excellent an shader here! Will you make post effects compatible with this new upgrade?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Mge_pm, have you verified your installation by following all steps in the help ? I'm pretty sure there's an answer in there..

Seems like more than half of people's problems could be fixed by just reading the help...
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Looks really good. Haven't really played a lot with it, but I like the update from 1.6.

Couple of things though:

- Memory usage is quite high, it seems...on my crappy machine the shader regularly stops working (Diffuse and Normals, the rest seem to be ok)...I also get an MaxScript Error from time to time: "-- Type error: set property requires BitMap, got: undefined" in *pMap = openBitMap (*pFilename) (line 2433)...gc() solves the latter issue, the former is persistent
    - I would prefer left-click to open the image browser and right-click to enable/disable the texture...
    - Glossines from Specular Alpha would be a nice addition
    - don't know if that is a Max hard limit, but would it be possible to have more than 3 lights?

That's it for now. Keep up the good work ;)
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance on moving the temp folder to the systems default temp folder?
    I think this will fix the problem to have max running as admin.

The problem is, if you are running Windows 7/Vista and have the Windows UAC (User Account Control) enabled and run max as admin, you aren't allowed to drag and drop files to it.
    It's a feature of Windows which should prevent running malicious code in a non restrictive environment.

Otherwise people have to do the steps I mentioned above or completely disable UAC, which, in my opinion, is bad and not the solution to the problem.
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I followed help and FAQ :/ gonna try again. I forgot to mention Ive got 64bit system (windows7 and max2012)

Mge_pm, have you verified your installation by following all steps in the help ? I'm pretty sure there's an answer in there..

Seems like more than half of people's problems could be fixed by just reading the help...
  • murphy7
    Woooooooh! Finally! AMAZING
  • Nysuatro
    Yes, I will be fixing the problem with the temp folder and the others ones.
    Problem for now is that I do not have a pc atm at my home and my laptop completely died previous week. So be patient about a next update :)

But keep the feedback coming. The more feedback, the better we can make this tool for you all.

Thanks everybody!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    MGE_PM wrote: »
    Yes, I followed help and FAQ :/ gonna try again. I forgot to mention Ive got 64bit system (windows7 and max2012)

System and Max version shouldn't matter, I have tested that combo before and it worked.

So can you just verify:

-do you have the XoliulshaderUI folder and files in the Scripts directory ?
    -do you have the two xoliulshader fx files in maps/fx ?
    -you are not using Nitrous ?
    -updated Max and dotnet ?

Also we're gonna try and do an update for these admin problems. As soon as Rj's gets a pc again and I've settled in in Bromley a bit, where I just moved.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Call me crazy but I think this messed up the projection modifier. I can't display as shaded anymore. It worked before in D3D. I turned off nitrous a long time ago.

To test this I can't even uninstall. Get errors.
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have XoliulshaderUI folder,
    fx files too (Xoliulshader_2.0.fx, Xoliulshader_2.0_max2009.fx)
    I changed to direct3d 9.0 as it was in the intro~ video.
    I downloaded hotfix2 for max, and latest dotnet.

Still cant see shader on the list :/

System and Max version shouldn't matter, I have tested that combo before and it worked.

So can you just verify:

-do you have the XoliulshaderUI folder and files in the Scripts directory ?
    -do you have the two xoliulshader fx files in maps/fx ?
    -you are not using Nitrous ?
    -updated Max and dotnet ?

Also we're gonna try and do an update for these admin problems. As soon as Rj's gets a pc again and I've settled in in Bromley a bit, where I just moved.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    MGE_PM wrote: »
    I do have XoliulshaderUI folder,
    fx files too (Xoliulshader_2.0.fx, Xoliulshader_2.0_max2009.fx)
    I changed to direct3d 9.0 as it was in the intro~ video.
    I downloaded hotfix2 for max, and latest dotnet.

Still cant see shader on the list :/

Are you using 3DSClean ? Or any other mod that changes your script directory?

If not, I sguuest to try a different version of max, even the 32bit 2012 is ok. Something funky might have happened to your Max install as you're the first person to ever have this issue.
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using student version. I will try to reinstall then.
    Thanks anyway.
    Are you using 3DSClean ? Or any other mod that changes your script directory?

If not, I sguuest to try a different version of max, even the 32bit 2012 is ok. Something funky might have happened to your Max install as you're the first person to ever have this issue.
  • Xoliul
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Hey Laurens, what files does it install and where? I'm getting crashes since i installed it, i removed all files with the Xoliul naming it, now on start GoZ and 3point startup scripts crash, so i removed those as well, but still can't start max without a crash, seems like i have to reinstall it, damn

Application Error
    An error has occurred and the application will now close.
    Do you want to attempt to save a copy of the current scene?
    OK Abbrechen

thats all i get right now
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    It installs to Scripts/XoliulshaderUI. It also adds 2 fx files to maps/fx. It adds a startup file into Scripts/Startup.
    On top of that it disables gamma correction, and suggests that you turn off Nitrous. That should be it ?
    I'm pretty sure your crashes will be due to some 3DS Max nonsense.. try removing 3dsmax.ini from your user directory, that fixes a lot of problems most of the time.
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I don't really get it. In the XoliulshaderUI 101 video you are using a .mzb to install the shader. But on the homepage I can only download a .zip which doesn't contain a .mzb or behaves like dragging a .mzb into max. I also tried renaming it from .zip to .mzp and it really does show up the installer, but it says install although I have the old version of the shader and if I click on install it doesn't work ^^
    additionally when I am doing the Manual Installation I can't select the Xoliulshader in the Shader list. I added the 2 FX files myself to the maps/fx folder but I still cannot select the shader.. What's going on? ^^
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    It installs to Scripts/XoliulshaderUI. It also adds 2 fx files to maps/fx. It adds a startup file into Scripts/Startup.
    On top of that it disables gamma correction, and suggests that you turn off Nitrous. That should be it ?
    I'm pretty sure your crashes will be due to some 3DS Max nonsense.. try removing 3dsmax.ini from your user directory, that fixes a lot of problems most of the time.

i'm on 2011 64bit so no niotrous on my machine, but doesn't matter moving to my new office pc anyways, couldn't restore my "old" max on my current machine, dunno what happened i removed all files, still it crashes, i removed the ini, still it crashes, very bad stuff, but doesn't matter i wanted to move and the shader works on the new machine, dunno what happened here, some of the usual max fuckups i guess.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa wrote: »
    I don't really get it. In the XoliulshaderUI 101 video you are using an .mzb to install the shader. But on the homepage I can only download a .zip which doesn't contain an .mzb or behaves like dragging a .mzb into max. I also tried renaming it from .zip to .mzp and it really does show up the installer, but it says install although I have the old version of the shader and if I click on install it doesn't work ^^
    additionally when I am doing the Manual Installation I can't select the Xoliulshader in the Shader list. I added the 2 FX files myself to the maps/fx folder but I still cannot select the shader.. What's going on? ^^

You're probably downloading with IE. IE reads the header of the file I guess, and decides it's actually a zip (it is really, mzp is just a renamed zip) so it changes that for you.

You say you "click on install it doesn't work"... what exactly does it do? You have read the part of the help about running as admin... I hope ?

Manual installation requires the two fx files in maps/fx, the startup script in Scripts/Startup and the rest in Scripts/XoliulShaderUI. Like I just told Neox.

Neox: yeah I can assure you we didn't write any evil code, you're probably just unlucky :/
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I was downloading with opera.. When I run as admin I can't drag&drop the .mzp file into max. When I don't run as admin and click install it just says "Error: Could not Install". BUT manual installation worked I just forgot to copy the startup script in the scripts/startup folder. Thanks a lot!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    I was downloading with opera.. When I run as admin I can't drag&drop the .mzp file into max. When I don't run as admin and click install it just says "Error: Could not Install". BUT manual installation worked I just forgot to copy the startup script in the scripts/startup folder. Thanks a lot!

Good that it works. But no offence meant, you should read the help a bit closer, it says when running as admin, you should use Script-Run Script on the mzp...
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I get this error whenever I merge and delete objects from a scene where I have used the shader on other objects.

xolilulerror.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Works great except for that :)

crateblanketimageshack.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye, thanks, this is an error we'd heard about, but with your info we should be able to fix it soon.
  • reiro
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Hey,

i dunno why but for some reason my gamma is totally dark after installing the Xoliul Shader. No matter what kind of light settings i use i cant get it to light properly. Even with two lights on it seems too dark and not lit right. It seems always too dark and saturated. This only seams to happen when i load the diffuse it seems.
    Plus in the texture preview window the textures have weird "patterns" along the texture that almost look like alphas - as seen on the right.
    Any ideas?
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    You can change the Gamma in the shadermenu. Set it to 1.0 or 2.2 and it should be fine.
    And make sure that Max internal Gamma and LUT System is disabled (Preferences > Gamma and LUT). Usually the shader disables it on installation and shows you a message/warning.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7

I had this issue as well with opera, but if you just rename the file when you choose the DL location to .mzp it works fine. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out that it wasnt really being read as an .mzp when changing the file name after it had dl'ed.
  • Ballo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Like I said before, good shader, the best one! :)

I have some troubles with it. 3dsmax2012 64, last service pack and hotfix, last donet.

-When I try to load a new lighting preset occurs this error.
    I get some similar errors when I load textures. :(
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo, like all the others, you need to run Max as admin. It avoids these problems for now, we'll fix this soon.
  • Ballo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, ok, I thought it was a different issue.

Thanks Laurens!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    It's ok, we just didn't anticipate there would be so many people without admin rights or with UAC on.
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    I've tried installing it on Max 2012 in my school, and got an error "cannot install"

We have a quadro there, could that be the problem?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaken, your answer would be the exact same thing as I'm telling Ballo; no admin rights = no installing & no thumbnail creation. We won't be able to fix that soon, though we might try to allow for alternate installation paths.
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Ah, that explains it.

I'm gonna have to harass our IT guy now.. :)
This discussion has been closed.