Home General Discussion

What Anime are you Watching atm?

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    How is "Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" different from the "Fate/stay Night" from around 5 yrs ago ?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Higuy wrote: »
    I just watched Cowboy Bebop for the very first time.

Brilliant.
    BeBop has some awesome characters and great stories that are individual, but also are all together in one huge story that is not convoluted.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    PyrZern wrote: »
    How is "Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" different from the "Fate/stay Night" from around 5 yrs ago ?

Since its based on visual novels there are different branches you can take for different stories.

The new one follows a different visual novel branch and it also is more like a movie broken up into episodes so the animation quality is significantly better, quite a bit more polish.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Psycho Pass was awesome plus that design

giphy.gif
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Zocky wrote: »
    I'd suggest to take a look at Shinsekai yori or in english "From the new world".

Oh man. Just finished watching it. Really cool Anime. Not quite what I was expecting, but definitely creepy, in its own way. And very good. Thanks, Zocky, for the recommendation!
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Been binge-watching some anime that my friend recommended this week.

Code Geass R2.
    It was an amazing experience overall.
    Can't believe i almost passed on this just because i hated the look of it.
    Lots of annoying anime tropes and cliches on its episodes that makes it pretty hard for non-anime fan like me to enjoy.
    But behind all of that, theres a fast paced and clever storyline, with great characterization of the cast and good action/tactical sequence.A bit over the top at some times though

Shirobako
    Shirobako is great. Can't relate with the work thing though since i have no experience, but some of the quote uttered in this anime is seriously inspiring.
    Pretty amazing that i got hooked up just in the first few minute on the very first eps.
    I liked the story, having friends that shares the same dream and trying to achieve it even when reality seems to hit them hard. And pretty informative on how an anime was made, and definitely grew me some respect on people who worked on anime industry. Thanks for people who recommended it here, it was satisfying

Gurren Lagann
    Gurren Lagann is awesome. Thought its gonna be an all around over-the-top, mindless but fun anime. But as soon as it find an actual character development, it got me hooked.
    Not a fan at the second arc though, felt too grand and massive, and a bit forced, it started to look ridiculous and absurd. But still got its heart set on the right thing, so still fun while it lasted, kinda sad seeing it over too.
    Love the opening music so much, and since Gurren Lagann is great, i'm going to give Kill la Kill a second try, and

Kill La Kill
    Yes, it was awesome too. One might agree about how annoying the fan service/ sexual appeal this anime had. Threw me off on my first try.
    But it does get much deeper after the revelation, still in over-the-top way, but it does get way interesting. The story felt so unique.
    Love Kiryuin Ragyo theme. Gave me the chill, and its so damn catchy.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
    Jojos is a fun anime. Though it was way too absurd, weird, and gay the first time looking at it, but damn, the story is just so much fun. Loved Joseph Joestar so far, hes too damn ridiculous, and his briliant mind always gave me a laugh.
    Every opening animation in this anime is amazing. So manly and fabulous

I gotta say, i'm now an anime fan. They tackle a pretty unique theme that i've never seen in an other media.
    Enough with my rambling, just got to voiced a piece of my mind. I'm definitely going to keep track on every new anime series from now on.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    A really good series that mostly lacks (as far as I can remember) tropes is Higurashi no naku koro ni (season 1 and 2) a truly great murder mystery series. Creepy, dark and troubling. Great plot. There is nothing I can compare it to.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    30 episodes into Hajime no Ippo. SO GOOD!
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started watching guilty crown and it is so awesome and also finished up tokyo ghoul which was amazing.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Just watched all of "Natsume Yuujinchou" in a surprisingly short amount of time. I loved it to death. Incredibly comforting and interesting anime. Gives off a very kind and peaceful feeling. And it's about Youkai, which I find absolutely fascinating.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Joopson wrote: »
    Just watched all of "Natsume Yuujinchou" in a surprisingly short amount of time. I loved it to death. Incredibly comforting and interesting anime. Gives off a very kind and peaceful feeling. And it's about Youkai, which I find absolutely fascinating.

You should watch Mushi-shi
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Ghost in the shell: (all or stand alone complex)

Fatal fury (movie, idk if there is a series)

Claymore

Attack on titan (yea adults like it, i do.)

I forget the name but there was a guy called BOA or BAO in it but he would bang chicks and
    rip them in two, lol. That was an old one, he is sort of blue at the time it was cool.
    (I'll try to remember the name)(think it was just a movie.)

Cyborg 009 was alright sort of like a mega man series.

Unico (1,2,3, meh more cute/kid type stuff, old.)

Urotsukidōji (movies/i think) (tentacle, pronz type stuff)

Earlier Appleseed/s are entertaining.(don't know about the new stuff)

Saint Seiya < found the name, go me.

:(
    So yea those are the one's I've watched in my life, not watching any currently but might just do that today cause of this thread.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz wrote: »
    Ghost in the shell: (all or stand alone complex)

Fatal fury (movie, idk if there is a series)

Claymore

Attack on titan (yea adults like it, i do.)

I forget the name but there was a guy called BOA or BAO in it but he would bang chicks and
    rip them in two, lol. That was an old one, he is sort of blue at the time it was cool.
    (I'll try to remember the name)(think it was just a movie.)

Cyborg 009 was alright sort of like a mega man series.

Unico (1,2,3, meh more cute/kid type stuff, old.)

Urotsukidōji (movies/i think) (tentacle, pronz type stuff)

Earlier Appleseed/s are entertaining.(don't know about the new stuff)

And recently those universe knights? i forget the name of the series cause i stopped watching it, but the story was alright from what i remember, guy was gold but the gold guy dies and is reborn or something to protect that princess chick, they where in space in the first episode.

:(
    So yea those are the one's I've watched in my life, not watching any currently but might just do that today cause of this thread.

ya man trust me there are heaps of awesome animes out there
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ErichWK wrote: »
    30 episodes into Hajime no Ippo. SO GOOD!

finally someone who can see the greatness of this anime :)
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    New season new anime. Definately watching Ranpo Kitan and GANGSTA. And still watching shokugeki no soma
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard that prison school was good
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Don't really watch anime anymore. Sorta gave up on it when it became dominated by the teen high school themes and I'd run out of other ones to watch.

I gave that Little Witch Academia a shot though. Definitely not the sort of anime I thought I'd get into, but it was pretty damn awesome. If that were a series I'd be all over it.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't really watch anime anymore. Sorta gave up on it when it became dominated by the teen high school themes and I'd run out of other ones to watch.

I gave that Little Witch Academia a shot though. Definitely not the sort of anime I thought I'd get into, but it was pretty damn awesome. If that were a series I'd be all over it.

you just got to worm your way around the teen high school ones, just try and find genres that you like, just do a search through some of anime sites to get a roster of the new ones that are coming out each season.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A friend of mine was looking for anime for her daughter who's 12. She asked specifically for something non-sexist which is proving to be a bit of a challenge for my slightly limited knowledge of the genre.

I'd lean towards something smartly written than a dumb comedy, but I'm open to suggestions.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend of mine was looking for anime for her daughter who's 12. She asked specifically for something non-sexist which is proving to be a bit of a challenge for my slightly limited knowledge of the genre.

I'd lean towards something smartly written than a dumb comedy, but I'm open to suggestions.

attack on titan, literally there is like nothing sexual to my knowledge in that one
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    sziada wrote: »
    attack on titan, literally there is like nothing sexual to my knowledge in that one

If she's not OK with sexist anime (which is a challenge to find one that is not, considering it's subjective), how will be her reaction by seeing giant naked men dismembering and eating people?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The kid will probably love it, but I'm not sure it'll get by the mum. I'll run it by her.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, kinda beat think she need to get over the humor and actually enjoy it for what it is, tbh its not everyone's cup of tea and that's absolutely fine.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you just got to worm your way around the teen high school ones, just try and find genres that you like, just do a search through some of anime sites to get a roster of the new ones that are coming out each season.

Yeah, I feel like I've just watched my fill. Haven't been able to find anything I like for a while now. I liked the more mature shows, like Monster, Planetes, Ghost in the Shell, Mushi-shi, etc.

It just doesn't seem like that sort of stuff gets made anymore.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished off both seasons of Yowamushi Pedal. It was quite enjoyable. I'm glad I gave it a chance. Now what to move onto next...?

Not long ago I slowly made my way through Dragonball and then Dragonball Z to a little past the Cell story arc. I was wondering what I had missed growing up so long ago. I'm not sure if I can continue on though it's just too boring at this point. I also can't help wondering why all the female characters seem to be narcissists with anger management issues or completely brainless, I think it's kind of sad really... ah well.

@Steve Schulze:

How about all the studio Ghibli movies + Future Boy Conan?

EDIT:

Oh also Anne of Green Gables aka. Akage no Anne.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Just finished watching Durarara the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it !

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQOc_07raNE&amp;index=3[/ame]
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I feel like I've just watched my fill. Haven't been able to find anything I like for a while now. I liked the more mature shows, like Monster, Planetes, Ghost in the Shell, Mushi-shi, etc.

It just doesn't seem like that sort of stuff gets made anymore.

You may like these:

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad

Black Jack

Blue Submarine No. 6 (The CG parts looks terrible)

Freedom

Last Exile

Overman King Gainer

Ocean Waves

Roujin Z

Spirit Of Wonder
    (the first of the two OVA)

Tekkon Kinkreet

Tokyo Godfathers

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

The Wings of Honneamise

Usagi Drop

Xam'd: Lost Memories

I think I recommend every time the same anime XD
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, if you liked ghost in the shell, you may wanna check out Seirei no Moribito, by same authors. It's set in interesting medieval japan setting wiht mix if fantasy, and is basically for once not about 15,16 years old teens; but it's mostly about 30 years old female spear warrior and 12 years old kid, to avoid spolling to much. Both character are just awesome, very unlike most animes out there.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8TxQ4_MvI[/ame]

It's rather old, though not quiet as old as GITS:SAC. Watch trailer and see if you may like it. Unless you didn't already watch it.

Just a little warning, trailer may deceive you a bit; it has some action for sure, but it's not really what this anime is all about. In fact, if you only come for the action, you'll find lack of it a little dissapointing.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Dragonball Super is the only anime that matters right now.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    oh yeah, I recall seirei no moribito was quite nice, despite using a cliche "veteran warrior traveling with a kid" theme.

I wouldn't call it rather old, it's not even from 90's.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've seen probably half of that list. I'll have to check out the other half.

I've seen Moribito already. Pretty good show.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just watched all of code geass it was pretty good, also recommend Prison School if you want a laugh
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    just watched all of code geass it was pretty good, also recommend Prison School if you want a laugh

I have no idea what it's about the screencaps look ridiculous.

I'm expecting to die of awkward laughter.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Right now, I'm watching some Knights of Sidonia on Netflix.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything in this new season is terrible. (that I've seen)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Everything in this new season is terrible. (that I've seen)

nah.. not that bad
    its a little bit early to judge them propeerly, but so far im enjoying these

http://gangsta-project.com/
    http://anime.godeater.jp/
    http://overlord-anime.com/
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    So far I'm enjoying a few this season; notably, "Classroom Crisis" is pretty cool, and "Charlotte" is hilarious and interesting.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gakkou Gurashi/School-Live is my favorite this season. It's pretty unique.
    Going in blind is very recommended if you guys ever wanted to watch it. Just watch the first episode and you'll see how interesting it is.
    I'm enjoying Gangsta and GATE too. Prison School and Shimoneta is freaking hilarious, but way too perverted.

Currently enjoying Chihayafuru.
    Who knows a story revolving around bunch of highschooler playing a traditional japanese card game about poem could be this freaking captivating. Sports anime at its best IMO.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a number of shows i was already watching that continuing like Gatchaman Crowds, i'm not sure when i'll get to the new stuff cause i'm happy with this.

On another side I just finished watching "The Irregular at Magic High School" on Netflix, it found it REALLY good. It's basically one of the first shows I've seen where they handle magic in the real world as a science. All the idea's presented could be easily applied to modern science or science during war time.

Basically it takes place during a time where technology reached a point of being indistinguishable from magic.

It's fairly light hearted but when it does want to show some gruesome magic killing it's pretty intense. I recommend it. It has it's odd moments with the main characters but I kinda found it sweet cause at least it made sense (they explain it a little intially then very slowly over time).
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gakkou Gurashi/School-Live is my favorite this season. It's pretty unique.
    Going in blind is very recommended if you guys ever wanted to watch it. Just watch the first episode and you'll see how interesting it is.
    I'm enjoying Gangsta and GATE too. Prison School and Shimoneta is freaking hilarious, but way too perverted.

Currently enjoying Chihayafuru.
    Who knows a story revolving around bunch of highschooler playing a traditional japanese card game about poem could be this freaking captivating. Sports anime at its best IMO.

Chihayafuru is one of my favorite, there are many animes about card games but I think that's this is the only one which doesn't make the protagonists easily win with absurd explanations or by extreme good luck, just because they are important. Still waiting for the third season .'(

Some days ago I watched The Fake, although it's a CG Korean movie with really choppy animations it was really good.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Chihayafuru is one of my favorite, there are many animes about card games but I think that's this is the only one which doesn't make the protagonists easily win with absurd explanations or by extreme good luck, just because they are important. Still waiting for the third season .'(

Some days ago I watched The Fake, although it's a CG Korean movie with really choppy animations it was really good.

Yeah, that is exactly the reason why i think that Chihayafuru is the best sports anime i've ever seen so far.

I'm not convinced and interested at first, because of the art, the premise (what the hell is karuta?), and the episode counts (2 season so far, 25 eps each, sounds a bit too much for me).
    But here i am, craving for another 2-cour season.
  • TAN
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Hentai count?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    So far I'm enjoying a few this season; notably, "Classroom Crisis" is pretty cool, and "Charlotte" is hilarious and interesting.

I did watch the first Episode of Classroom crisis. I am sick and tired of Teenagers being the center, BUT...I do like Sci Fi so once I finish my backlog I will continue up with it.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Does Hentai count?

This made me snort in laughter.

Hmmmm, how about only if it's based on a visual novel XD
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that is exactly the reason why i think that Chihayafuru is the best sports anime i've ever seen so far.

I'm not convinced and interested at first, because of the art, the premise (what the hell is karuta?), and the episode counts (2 season so far, 25 eps each, sounds a bit too much for me).
    But here i am, craving for another 2-cour season.

The characters story needs to be unfolded, there's a lot more to tell about them.

I was expecting it to be a shoujo, from the picture cover (and it's actually target to women), but fortunately it wasn't something like "senpai, notice me, please!"

Another really cool anime about sports is Ping Pong The Animation, there's also Slam Dunk (a classic) and I would not recommend Capeta, since it's full of bullshit (especially when out of nowhere he understand what to do) and it doesn't have a conclusion.
    Does Hentai count?

A Kite and Mezzo Forte (they made a TV series of this too) are consider Hentai, so, yes.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been watching Prison school, that shit is so god damn hilarious! XD
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Hentai count?

nope get rekt!
  • MarceloTK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching GATE. Very creative
  • PrecisionClear
    Stein's Gate was disapointing, the side characters were all very interesting but main character overplayed the trope of being eccentric to the point of extremely unbelievable, I never forgot I was watching an anime aimed at teenagers. Which is sad because the side stories and "curse of time travel" was played so well.

Attack On Titan. First 4 episodes were some of the most amazing I've ever seen, heavy on the heart with a sincere brother sister relationship. Then the whole series fall flat on it's face, the pacing goes to Hell to the point that we were yelling at the TV, "Shut up and get on with it already"!" It was like Dragon Ball Z where 1 episode worth of development would be preceded by 10 episodes of talking about it.

Parasyte; Waaaayyy better than I thought. These needle in the haystacks are what makes watching anime worthwhile. It was very funny, sad, and made me think about life. The characters were all believable and interesting, and the burden felt real. Never degraded into a harem but really upset me when they killed of **** oops, that's a spoiler. Anyways, the ***** death, damnit that's another spoiler. Anyways, sometimes killing off too many characters makes the violence become surreal, like an action. The first one was very meaningful, but the one after that made me want to stop watching.

I rewatched Princess Monoke last night, even more subtly beautiful than the first time, my appreciate for this movie grows as I become older.

Fate/Stay Unlimited Blade Works, it's the Japanese version of Lord Of The Rings - as far as being epic, full of amazing characters, and mind blowing. I wish they'd remake the original in HD. Ren is such an awesome fucking character. Hope I can find a woman like that in real life.

Dead Man's Wonderland; This flew under a lot of people's radar, but my and significant other's favorite anime of all time. Sadly, it did poorly in Japan for some reason and now the series won't be continued. Shows you story behind what causes violence, how they started out as innocent victims, and lash out as their hope is destroyed. You start watching thinking it's just another ultra violent show with (awesome) rock music, when actually there's a lot of character development, and connections to the real world. Ends on a heavy story arc, not finishing the series feels like a betrayal. All the characters, including the "bad guys" were likable, and many episodes would blindside you in what happened next.