Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Rikimaru - Harlequin of the Final Court

Alright, late to the party, but I think my team's finally ready to begin. You'll be seeing the other two around the texturing side of things.

We'll be working on a dark Jester set for Riki.

DONE! Click the picture for our Workshop Entry!
riki_harlequin_fullbody_promo.jpg

Concept:
Riki%20jester%202.jpg

And if we have time, we'll try a pair of these:
riki%20weapon1stdraft.jpg

Replies

• OpethRockr55
    Tonight, I did a quick dynamesh sculpt of the mask/cap. Tomorrow, it'll be off to Max for retopo and to model up some of the accessories.

PolycountJesterWIP1.jpg
  • OpethRockr55
    First off, we got the concept finalized, so be sure to check that out up top.

Cap so far:

PolycountJesterWIP2.jpg

Moving on to the other bits. Since Riki lacks the $alphatest command, I'll have to scrounge polies for some of the tattered parts.
  • OpethRockr55
    With another project out of the way, I can focus more on this. Poofy shoulder about done. Not quite happy with some of the wrinkles on the padded bit and still needs some cleaning up, but I doubt it'll require much of an update for once it's done.
    PolycountJesterWIP3.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Love this design, great sculpts so far!
  • OpethRockr55
    Alright, finished up the hi-poly, I think. Pretty happy with it, but we'll see what trouble I get into when I make the low.

PolycountJesterWIP4.jpg
    PolycountJesterWIP4B.jpg
  • rory
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Sculpt looks great! Good luck on the low poly. That collar should be interesting. ;)
  • JGcount
    I think this is really cool and deserve more attention. Not too worried about that lowpoly tbh. The collar can easily be baked down unto a cylinder.
  • OpethRockr55
    @rory @Clyptic @JGcount: Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, I'm planning the collar as a cylinder. As to how WELL it bakes down, I guess I'll have to see. I'm eager to try out Handplane for that and see what comes out. Primarily, I'm worried about rigging the sleeve and what needs to be done topologically there.

Everything else should - SHOULD - work out okay.
  • foeffa
  • OpethRockr55
    LOD0 is (mostly) done and UV'd:

PolycountJesterWIP5UV.jpg
    PolycountJesterWIP5Wire.jpg

With having to pad the sleeve with polies for deformation, I just didn't have enough for that second glove. I'll probably have to re-UV the sleeve, too. I don't think a 128x128 is going to cut it for the whole thing, but the bakes tomorrow will make that easier to tell what needs splicing and where.
  • SoundStage
    Looks great. But I still do not understand why you go from high poly to low poly. I am new to 3d art, and I go from low poly to high poly and then back to low poly with maps of high poly. Makes things far easier for me.
  • OpethRockr55
    1) Because I skip a whole step. 2) Because I'm terrible at planning ahead.

There are advantages to both, but I've got way more freedom over the forms and proportions of an object if I just go straight into the high, and due to #2 as stated, that saves me a lot of time. I can change or remove things completely without having to worry about my base mesh screwing me up along the way. Plus, I know my new low will be perfectly matched to my high, rather than using the (possibly) incompatible low that I used going in. If I make another low at the end, why bother with the first?

I wouldn't dare do this workflow on a hard-surface bake because I'd need the precision that low-high-low approach affords. With a soft-surface model like this, I need more freedom to explore even if it's messier to clean up in the end. My 2 cents.
  • OpethRockr55
    Knocked out some test bakes to see some trouble areas. As I suspected, I'm going to have to redo the sleeve, but I'm going to overhaul it completely and bake the bangle down onto it while I'm at it, too. Makes no sense having a complete mesh dedicated to it.

Anywho, test bake, so excuse some issues.

PolycountJesterWIP6.jpg

Baked everything out at final res right now. Some artifacts and missed bakes here and there (inside tip of the hat horns, especially. Not sure how that happened), but overall painless.
  • OpethRockr55
    Alright, got the bakes down, out, and ready to go. Off to Nidhogg for the pretties. With the Dota 2 Hero shader by Ace-Angel, this part is made 100 times easier. THANK YOU.

PolycountJesterWIP7.jpg

Now for rigging. yaaay
  • Nidhogg
    LOTS OF IMAGES INCOMING!

Hello everyone, I'm Nidhogg, the 2nd member of this 3-man team. I've been working on the textures for this set and also juggling the mask textures around. Here's my latest, and hopefully, final progress.

Images below are obviously from Dota 2's in-game model viewer. Tried to stay close to Riki's existing color scheme. Added a few golden segments such as the golden seam along the hat to create visual interest.

dota2_harlequin_front.jpgdota2_harlequin_side.jpgdota2_harlequin_collar_front.jpgdota2_harlequin_collar_back.jpgdota2_harlequin_sleeves_left.jpgdota2_harlequin_sleeves_right.jpgdota2_harlequin_tail.jpg

Pardon the clipping on the cape and sleeves, none of the models are actually fully rigged yet.

In order to view all the items being equipped at once on Riki, I used 3dsMax to show it off.

3dsmax_harlequin_together.jpg

Keep in mind, however, that although the custom Dota 2 Shader for Max was great, it's not perfect at all. Some of the reflections such as the gold seams and bracelet do not show proper reflections and the Tint by Spec color channel (blue) on Mask2 doesn't even show up at all. So please use the in-game Dota 2 images for reference on the lighting.
    dota2_harlequin_front.jpghttp:
  • Nidhogg
    Made a promo for the Harlequin set. You can also see I made a quick addition to the cape. OP55 convinced me adding a diamond pattern to the cape would make it less plain.

riki_harlequin_fullbody_promo.jpg

The Workshop entry will be up later today.
  • OpethRockr55
    Done and done. You can check out the Workshop entry here!

Good luck to everyone!