Home General Discussion

Assassins Creed 3

Replies

• Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    as Blaizer says, it's usually Digic Pictures that does the AC cinematics, and they are amazing at doing so!
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    I thought Ubi did their own cinematics? didn't they make a big deal out of buying some fx house back when ACII came out?

Yeah, they bought Hybride in Montreal, and they worked on the AC: Lineage short, but they disbanded that and integrated all of them into dev teams in Ubi Montreal after that iirc.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    as Blaizer says, it's usually Digic Pictures that does the AC cinematics, and they are amazing at doing so!

Really? I thought that last cinematic with Ezio about to be hanged was Blur for sure, it was so amazing. Guess there's a fair few amazing effects houses around the world!
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Andreas wrote: »
    Really? I thought that last cinematic with Ezio about to be hanged was Blur for sure, it was so amazing. Guess there's a fair few amazing effects houses around the world!

Nope, it's Digic all the way :-)

In my opinion Digic makes better cinematics then blur in the sense that their visuals are nearly matching, however Blur these days are beginning to fall short on the story part, it might be because they are taking on more and more projects at a time but their stories just gets more and more cookie cutter, however their cinematics are still awesome nonetheless.
  • Seirei
    Thanks for pointing out Digic! I've always loved the Blur animations and was wondering where all that realy good stuff came from, that wasn't made by then.
    Just watching through the stuff they made that's clearly my new favorite right now.

And by now I think it's safe to assume that at the end of this counter there'll be a pretty damn amazing cinematic made by these guys. Good thing we've got the Darksiders 2 challenge to keep us bussy up to that point! :P
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BVUMPrv8oRw

Not mad about the animation, some real dodgy bits, but hey, it's out!
  • vargatom
    Seirei wrote: »
    And by now I think it's safe to assume that at the end of this counter there'll be a pretty damn amazing cinematic made by these guys.

Sorry to disappoint you that there was no CG stuff after that countdown...
  • Seirei
    Well atleast it looks pretty nice, but yeah I was kinda dissapointed. <.<

From what I've read this is going to be the most ambitious Assasin's Creed so far, but I guess we'll see about that once it comes out in october (hopefully).
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • Hang10
    Has anyone played through it recently? I just finished it, I didn't do any of the side missions/quests, and I thought the ending was kind of meh.
    Like how Desmond dies by touching the orb and ending the world just like that. No choice, just touch the orb, fry, and die. Then the world goes volcanic and life starts back to square one like the cinematic says.

It's my first AC so a lot of the things didn't really make sense to me about the back story like the spoiler above and people like Juno and the dude from the lab(can't remember his name).

A few things bothered me like not being able to crouch, though I'm told you haven't been able to do this in any of them so that's just my gripe with it.

I played it on the PS3 so the graphics were as expected. I thought the whole homestead/Artisan/hunting aspect looked cool but I didn't go into it much in my first play through. The Naval battle were wicked and so were the infantry battles.

As for after the ending, I'm not sure if you get this if you skip the final credits but I waited and
    You see Connor walk to the front entrance of the homestead and removes the tomahawk that he put there after becoming an assassin, symbolizing the end of the threat to his land and people.

I thought that was cool
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Beat the game a few days ago. Played the first AC and skipped all 2's and got to say I dont know why in the world this game is so popular. The combat boils down to smashing Square and Circle and waiting for some beautiful canned animations. I was so pumped for this game, so looking forward too it and it is by far the biggest let down I have played since the first one.

In terms of gameplay I think its quite boring. The Naval combat was sick though, and I guess walking up behind someone with your hidden blade and just murdering the fuck out of them never gets old.

The setting, art, animation are PHENOMENAL. Totally loved it. The game looked great even though they clearly had to use super heavy fog to allow the game to run. Animations were fantastic and brutal. All of the characters in the old America time look fantastic, but Desmond looks like he was modeled by some bad college student. He looks awful, like some weird, unhuman, skull/anorexic monkey human thing.

In the end, Art, Animation, Setting were great. Smashing Square/Circle waiting for canned animation combat was boring and terrible.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Shrug, I think the combat is more than mashing those 2 buttons but I also try and not take any damage, ever. Like Batman Arkham Asylum/City I do my best to mix up how I interact with the baddies.

The sidequests and grind I find fun - as it never quite feels like grinding to me (except for finding all the f*cking feathers).
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Well I said mashing 2 buttons because there are no combos in the game like in Batman. There is just Square for attack and Circle for counter. If there was 2 forms of attacking, like light and heavy attacks they could have cool combos you could create like Batman dose. And sure they have the special equipment on Triangle but that menu takes you completely out of combat to bring up your items its like, why use this?

If I had different combo abilitys like Square, Square, Triangle, Square to do different combo moves the combat would feel a lot more fun and engaging. And actually feel like im doing more then just hitting Square to kill things.
  • Hang10
    There was also X for block-breaking and triangle for use of your special/secondary weapon. I found myself favoring the rope knife. Even just popping out of shrubs and going all legolas on some guard then going back incognito.

The animations were awesome but I found the running a little clunky, when I was chasing someone and got too close to a corner I'd freeze as if I was peeking around or attempting a climb. It didn't happen often, only when it mattered :P
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I am enjoying the game so far. It's pretty fun. I like the smooth animations, i like that you can murder people on the go, so it makes them more stealthy, but to have you butcher someone with a hatchet like Mel in the Patriot is quite awesome. This one is a lot more brutal than the other ones. SO i guess i am more aggressive because of it.

THe story kinda sucks... but i do like the location. I have more fun so far doing sidequests than the real mission.

Also.. it's a bummer it doesn't quite run at 30fps all the time. at all. PC should be infinitely better. I am playing on ps3.

amm.. i love how everything animates.

also... whats up with Desmonds missions? they suck so bad! i was hoping some cool missions... but they are quite bad.. done 2 so far and i was not impressed.

The boat is pretty awesome. i like that.

Overall i really like the game... you can see that the game had some limitations on story and presentation since the game was built from the ground up in a new engine. which i think it hurts. This compared to Revelations makes it look like a very static, weak characters presented.... but... i am still enjoying the game very much. I do recommend it, and i am sure people will have fun with it.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Autocon wrote: »
    Well I said mashing 2 buttons because there are no combos in the game like in Batman. There is just Square for attack and Circle for counter. If there was 2 forms of attacking, like light and heavy attacks they could have cool combos you could create like Batman dose. And sure they have the special equipment on Triangle but that menu takes you completely out of combat to bring up your items its like, why use this?

If I had different combo abilitys like Square, Square, Triangle, Square to do different combo moves the combat would feel a lot more fun and engaging. And actually feel like im doing more then just hitting Square to kill things.

There is though... Mix in grab and disarm and you can combo the shit out of enemies (I do that all the time). And using the range button when you've disarmed a heavy axe is just so, so satisfying to end the combos. I've cleared an encounter of 10 guys without losing a single beat to my combo, and that is with a mix of heavies and swordsmen for me to think differently against.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I've always loved combat in the Assassin's Creed series. I can't count the amount of times I'd decided everybody's going down with nothing but hidden blade counters, without losing a single health square in the first AC, and the sequels only added more options for combo streaks and that sort of thing. I really feel like AC is the kind of thing where you can just smash your "hit the bad guy button" and win, but there's a lot of joy to be had by changing it up. Maybe I just played too many shooters in the past, but AC is very refreshing for me every time I play it.

Haven't played 3 yet as I'm waiting for the PC release (always get them for PC), but it looks like a lot of fun. (I seriously love playing AC games on PC and spamming my screenshot button for Steam during kills, great to take a look at after a session.) :)
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm slowly making my way through this and enjoying it more and more as I go. I thought the first 6 hours or so amounted to one giant tutorial/exposition fest and it was a very frustrating introduction, but once the world map is opened up it's a lot of fun. I've not done a huge amount of the actual story missions yet, but I'm having a lot of fun just doing all the side quests and finding chests and trinkets. It's a fun world to explore, particularly the wilderness and the attention to detail is pretty astounding at times. Just seeing the effort that went into populating the world with a ton of different NPCs and animals that act and interact in different ways is very impressive. You could easily miss that stuff if you are just fast traveling from one mission to the next.

I'm particularly enjoying the fort liberation and treasure map quests. I've been trying to do the liberations without being detected, but it can be pretty hard to do. Particularly if you accidentally call your horse when you meant to shoot an arrow in someone's neck. I still screw up stealthy approaches with comical regularity, but you're not punished too severely so it's not often frustrating when that happens.

Some of the new elements are really good (ship combat) and others are kind of pointless (homestead/trading minigame). I'm happy that the assassin recruitment strategy feature is back, but I wish I got more recruits sooner.

I agree that the combat can feel a bit automated and simplistic, but there is still some nuance to it and in a game that has so many other elements I think it's forgivable that it's not as fully-featured as other games.

So yeah, I can't comment on the central narrative/missions too much yet - I think the whole Desmond overarching story is really dull btw - but messing around in the game world and doing random missions is a lot of fun.

Beavers make a funny noise when they die.:/
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    yea.... i am always running into animals doing stuff, which is awesome. i love exploring the world. it just feels alive most of the time. and the cities are really cool.

hunting is fun. :)
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Just finished the game. (main campaign). only like 40% of game completed apparently.

Cant believe how good it was. Big thumbs up to the team who made it.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i realy don´t know how they could fuck up the faces of the future characters, with the historic characters beeing so crisp.
    it feels like the past/future episodes were made by different art teams.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Too many people beated the game already, but i'm still waiting my join or die edition for PC.

BTW, i didn't finish AC2, brotherhood and revelations lol
  • Kave
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    No steam version in UK :(
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Kave wrote: »
    No steam version in UK :(

We have a steam version for the spanish region, and it includes the english localization. I don't know what's wrong with the UK steam version :S

Anyways, i don't buy Uplay games in steam. It's a nuisance to need to connect to steam, and later to uplay in order to play. Two steps is excesive for me. I stopped buying the steam versions since AC2, and furthermore, you can find these games cheaper in amazon.co.uk than in Steam.

I bought the join or die edtion for 33 pounds in amazon.co.uk (40 euros), 30+ euros cheaper :)
  • WonderBeast
    I just finished assassins creed 3 and the ending seems to be open to another game? Ubisoft said earlier in the year this would only be a trilogy but it was left open. What do you think?
  • Ark
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Goeddy wrote: »
    i realy don´t know how they could fuck up the faces of the future characters, with the historic characters beeing so crisp.
    it feels like the past/future episodes were made by different art teams.

Yeah, I got that feeling too. The present day missions were lackluster in general. It felt like Ubisoft outsourced those elements wholesale.

Actually, if they continue the franchise then I really hope they do away with the Desmond levels entirely. I may be in the minority, but I couldn't care less about the overarching narrative and I find that whenever I'm pulled out of the past to play some half-baked, modern day interlude that it just lessens the immersion. I'd much rather be in whichever past time period is the subject of the game 100% of the time.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    A trilogy? AC3 is the fifth game in the series. They'll milk it for as long as people will buy it.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    ...and then movies!
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Sub-Trilogies is the name Ubi forgot to say, where they extend the game by making 2-3 mini sequels under it.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    They've already begun talking about casting for the movies - Ezio will apparently be played by Adam Sandler...
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    really? I thought Will Ferrell was going to get the role..
  • Overlord
    Oh, didn't you know?
  • slipsius
    threads merged. my comment is useless. Move along. Nothing to see here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Never mind me, I just need to bump this thread in order to merge another A3 thread into it! weeeeeeee!