Home Unreal Engine

Mystery nodes in blueprint

I'm attempting to follow this tutorial here (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/AI/BehaviorTrees/QuickStart/11/index.html) and I can't figure out what these nodes are. I've outlined them with a green line. Can anyone help me figure out what they are so I can continue with the tutorial? Thank you so much!

kLnhLeF.jpg

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    In order from left to right:

Variable, this is an AI Controller variable named "AI CON Ref"
    Not Equal (Object)
    Vector Addition
    Equal (Object)

Generally speaking you can figure most of this out through color coding, objects are blue, vectors are yellow, floats green, integers are teal, etc, etc.
  • Sickleblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! It's very good to know what the color coding actually corresponds to as well.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Yep, worth noting however that certain object nodes will only take particular types of objects.

Good example is Client Play Camera Shake

BlueprintTarget.jpg

If you look at the node it will specify exactly what its input is, in this case it says "Target is Player Controller" meaning you can't plug an AI Controller into it even though they're both objects. Only a player controller will work.

It also means that if you try to create this node on its own, it won't show up in the list by default. You have to actually create a Get Player Controller node first, then drag a pin off of its return value in order to see it in the list.

It can be confusing, but you'll get used to it. Just pay pattention to what the target it specifies is. If it doesn't specify a target then it will (IIRC) work with anything.