Home Unreal Engine

Maya 2015 Workflow for UE4?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about Maya workflow for UE4 that I want to ask.

I blocked out my entire level in UE4 to real world measurement so it is huge. Now I want to use Maya to model/uv assets then send them to UE4. However, I find it so hard to model to real world scale in Maya. Is there any way to change the "snap to grid" in Maya like UE4 so I can choose snap to grid 5,10,100,... units?

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can adjust grid size in the Display > Grid > [] option box. Snap to grid is one of those magnet icons.
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    I was wondering should I model assets to real world measurements like the block-out I made in UE4? Is real world scale important in modeling stage? can I just model normally then scale it later?
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a similar question. is the subdivision in grid settings important? i change between 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 depending on the models im working with. will they all snap together in unreal 4 even though they were modeled with different subdivision grid?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Dklang wrote: »
    i have a similar question. is the subdivision in grid settings important? i change between 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 depending on the models im working with. will they all snap together in unreal 4 even though they were modeled with different subdivision grid?

You can change UE4's grid to power of 2 size in the preferences somewhere, so snapping wouldn't be an issue.
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but if i pick lets say size 16 in UE4 and the model snaps only in size 8 in Maya, wouldnt that be an issue?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Dklang wrote: »
    but if i pick lets say size 16 in UE4 and the model snaps only in size 8 in Maya, wouldnt that be an issue?

Yes, but you can just move your snapping up and down as needed.

So for instance you might have your snapping in ue4 at 128uu to place pillars, then you lower it to 32uu to place a candelabra on the side of the pillar, and then maybe you have to switch to 4uu to place candles.

Just make sure you stick to decimal (5,10,50,100,1000 etc) or power of 2 (2,4,8,16,32 etc) because they don't really line up with each other.
  • Dklang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message