Home Unreal Engine

How to learn Materials?

Ok, so a simple question really, How do I learn about materials?

I have watched the tutorial series on YouTube and have read the UE4 documentation but still dont know how to do great materials.

I can create good PBR textures and at the moment just slot them into the relevant slot and im done(they look ok/good). The most technical I get is using multiply and a constant. I understand things in theory but dont ever find the need to use anything like Lerp etc.

When I see the materials with the big spider diagrams, wires going everywhere, I don't understand whats going on or more importantly the need for any of it.

Please any help in how others became good at this sort of thing would be appreciated.

Replies

• GC_Vos
    Offline / Send Message
    GC_Vos polycounter lvl 3
    I recognize some of the bigger spider webs can be very intimidating, i encountered the same when I first started out. Especially if the materials don't have any clear descriptions or comments.

For basic stuff I think there's a few functions you might want to try, just to get an idea of where to start and to give you more control. Hooking up samplers directly will work, but your values will just go from 0 to 100% which is rarely optimal unless you have magical texture skillz.

Number one function I've used for 99% of my mats is the clamp. It'll allow you to set minimum and maximum values for litterally anything. Also don't underestimate the power of lerps. You can combine, merge, (detail) mask, do all kinds of things with those.

In the end it's about what you want to do. If a simple setup works as required there's no reason to increase the shader complexity. Start simple and slowly expand/learn based on the effects you want, not the other way around. ;)
  • makinmagic3
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    Open some of Epic's material shaders and break them down, it may look complicated (wires/ nodes everywhere) and un-commented but break them down (disconnect nodes, preview the nodes (right click on a node > Start Previewing), change the properties of the nodes...etc)

There's also this video on how to create/ setup a master material.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06xv6nlMHk
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8

I know the theory discussed in that video will most likely apply to every engine but how about the practicality of it; does the UE4 has a similar shading workflow as the UE3 ?
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    I know the theory discussed in that video will most likely apply to every engine but how about the practicality of it; does the UE4 has a similar shading workflow as the UE3 ?

I was wondering the same thing, since UE4 uses PBR we know for a fact that many of the main inputs act differently, specular for instance, or AO. But I assumed shader logic remains shader logic overall, so I was looking at Andrew's stuff and wondering if it's still a good intro anyway.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing, since UE4 uses PBR we know for a fact that many of the main inputs act differently, specular for instance, or AO. But I assumed shader logic remains shader logic overall, so I was looking at Andrew's stuff and wondering if it's still a good intro anyway.

Most of it, yes. Math is math and most nodes remained the same really.
    Most if not all UDK material tutorials can still be followed in UE4 and get very similar results, so if you're finding yourself scarce with tutorials or documentation (which I doubt, there's a lot of stuff out there already) don't be afraid to check some of the better UDK tuts out there.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Most of it, yes. Math is math and most nodes remained the same really.
    Most if not all UDK material tutorials can still be followed in UE4 and get very similar results, so if you're finding yourself scarce with tutorials or documentation (which I doubt, there's a lot of stuff out there already) don't be afraid to check some of the better UDK tuts out there.

Thanks Helder! Since you mention there's a lot out there I was wondering if you had something to recommend in particular?
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Well, someone already mentioned Andrew's Eat3d DVD, I personally havent watched it yet but it seems good and it's free on youtube.

This is a personal favourit as well, Tor's DVD which is ironically on Eat3d as well:
    http://eat3d.com/udk_modular
    Extra: http://eat3d.com/free/vertex_painting

Also, I learned A LOT with Aaron's tutorials on gumroad:
    https://gumroad.com/aaronkaminer

I'm in the same boat as you, started learning UE4 material workflow and it can daunting because there's so many different ways to basically do the same thing, and my OCD hates that I might not be using the most ideal one for my case.

I started diving into functions and layered materials as well, that's another rabbit hole right there because it makes things so simple it makes me wanna go back and redo most of my master materials, eheh.

Have fun!
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    You're the best! Really appreciate you taking the time to point us in the right direction.

:)
  • Praglik
    Offline / Send Message
    Praglik polycounter lvl 9
    The most important I believe, is to have a goal when you're making any material in UE4.
    If you don't understand why some materials have massive spaghetti-wires going all over the place, it's probably because you could do the end-result in Photoshop with a good PBR workflow.

However, at some point you'll need to make a moving lava texture that take into account the surface underneath to flow properly, or you'll need to change a fresnel depending on the angle and you'll dig into it... Or even a way to nicely tile road textures and details GTAV-style.

Many material samples by Epic are insanely complicated for the sake of realism, showing off and displaying UE4 capabilities.

Start simple, and when you encounter a blocker you'll try to figure out ! I don't think there's a real way to "learn" materials as they allow virtually everything :)