Home General Discussion

DVD Media Doesn't Play

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
I'm sure this is a very simple issues but I got very little time to sort this out.

The story is that I just got a phone call from an employer here in Vancouver and they set me me up for an interview and while they tried to view my DVD disc it doesn't play at all.

So I played one of my other ones, assuming it works and then media player says it it might either be missing a decoder for DVD disc or need to adjust display...I did that and nothing plays still.

I checked for recommeded decoders but they cost a pretty penny to install which puts me in the spot.

If I don't figure this out on wednesday least I can do is have them view mine online or get it on a DVD player as it worked when I viewed on my home theatre.

Anyone know why this is happening ???

I need a solution to it by wednesday morning.

Thanks

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    There are several reasons this could happen. It depends on what they are viewing it with, what DVD type you used (+ or - R), what program you used to created the DVD, or what compression type.

If you made a DVD that was meant for a player, then many times you have to match the DVD media to the player since not all players support both + and - R. If they are throwing it into a computer, then they SHOULD be able to watch it. Which takes you into the compression type or what program you used.

I honestly would suggest making a .wmv video or a .avi (divx) video and burning that to a DVD, then send that and tell them to open on a computer. Don't make it a playable DVD Video.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thanks for the reply but when I "authored" it in Encore, I used a normal compression type, can't remember the name but it produces a Universal DVD and I used a CD for it as it was only a 2:30 minute demo avi. So not sure if the + - thing applies.

I even played normal commercial dvd movies on my media player and it too would not play which is effed up...assuming my media player has problems (It didn't have this issue back then as I said)

I'll just burn a raw avi on a new CD and bring it over or have them look up my flash video online it this doesn't get fixed.
  • KaosNKorruption
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks but I think I got it covered as they just got ahold of my online work.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Encore is pretty good at making DVDs. As for using a CD, it still would require a DVD player that accepts VCDs if they weren't using their computers.

Either way, sounds like you have things solved otherwise... good luck