Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

>New< Trying my hand at some brick tiling texture.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
I am trying to do some brick tiling texture, but it got really bad. Any advice on what am I doing wrong?
Def
4idDW3F.jpg
Normal
Fl4Mpb8.jpg
Hight
mn8lnDt.jpg
AO
olFgzoL.jpg

Here is what I want to achieve.

brickWall2.jpg

ybourykinabrickssculpt.jpg

brick4_by_mellon3d-d5w6ir6.jpg

I new to Zbrush. How do I do cracks and make it look good?

Thank you

Replies

• Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    Well first show us a shot of the material with all textures combined so we can judge the final result.

As far as bricks go, horizontal rows should be offset like in your refs, that's what makes a wall stand up if you've played lego.
    Then there's the space between the bricks. Assuming it's cement, it should look less like the bricks are "floating" in it and more like it's just here to glue them together. Leaving the tightest room for movement and exploiting the weight that bricks push on each other is what gives the wall its poise. Right now you'd think your texture is floor slabs with dirt in between.

Before you try yourself at cracks try to improve your material definition by adding more noise and sharper edges (claypolish and noise in Zbrush are useful). Personally for cracks I would use a combination of dam standard, trim dynamic and rake, but remember that cracks shouldn't be uniform and should correspond to the strain spots in the wall.
  • CJohnD
    Offline / Send Message
    CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
    Here are some marmoset images.

t5pob32.png

VUYR1UR.png

5ADqW5R.png
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Well it looks like a stone tile floor combined with a brick wall mixed with a selfmade floor. Either decide on a brick wall and remove the rotated/vertical ones like Megacorpse stated, or do a floor texture out of the square ones. Tate Mosesian and Brad Smith got nice videos on that topic. https://www.youtube.com/user/bradhb3d/videos
  • gsokol
    Honestly, first thing that throws everything off are the bricks themselves. You have so many different sizes and shapes...and no real pattern for them.

Got any ref for the type of bricks you are trying to make?
  • DWalker
    Keep in mind that unique shapes will show up as a distinct pattern when you tile the texture. The one small brick nestled among the 4 larger ones will certainly stand out. Try viewing a larger sample - 4x4, for example - rather than a single instance.
  • CJohnD
    Offline / Send Message
    CJohnD polycounter lvl 4
    Update ...#...

I made another one following your advice.

hapPVsQ.png

zJfZrdw.png