• glaciale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how many poly has your fountain ?
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    nice idea with coins, thoguh if it is not a joke ;)

If not, they r actually cound be a bit too small for that distance, eh?

Need some shine and golden bling-bling spec ;)
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Snightrider strikes again! Fountain and snow meshes look great man! And jeez, get some spec on those coins ;)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Mike - The fountain looks stellar. But since you asked for it, here's a quick paintover of some things I would adjust. Good times.

94972851.jpg
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Excellent! thanks Don. I have to move on to the rest of the scene, but i will come back to this!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking beautifully already
    I want to see the final work so badly
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ikken!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few progress shots. Lots of texture cleanup still left to do. Very WIP destruction pass started on the arches (lots more of this to come). Some initial tests w/ Lightmass. This week we'll be cranking hard on props, background bits, and some meteors!! Feedback very very much appreciated.

day8.jpg

And for fun a bit of full screen material post effects:
    day8post.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thats fucking sweet man, the only thing i would do to improve it is the wooden texture in the bottom right part , the scale seems to be too big , and also i wouldnt make it so flaked off on the top part, but rather give it some humifity effects , and maybe replace the 3 small flags to a big one with the color scheme of them 3? this is looking really nice :D
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tyler, i agree with Johny concerning the wood, flag thing is up to you, i think both ways would look good. In the very center of the picture is a line that runs up the arches (where two different arches meet) and it is solid from the ground and the further up it goes the more broken up it gets, anyway, it keeps drawing my eye to it every time, kinda like a bad focal point. BUT, maybe im just being stooopid, saw it, and thought i'd mention it. Im liking the lighting and post effects you were playing with big time, cant wait to see this when its done, good job guys :D
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Johny - great feedback man. Yea, the wood grain is huge! Good catch.
    nd also i wouldnt make it so flaked off on the top part, but rather give it some humifity effects
    Not sure what you mean by this. humifity? Flags are very temp so we'll be sure to add in some cool one soon and address the amount / scale of them.

@Grey Yea, the lines are on my list. They look awful. Still trying to figure them out. I think those pieces could have been accidentally pushed off the grid and then the baked in AO and realtime AO are really showing the crack. Looks bad, I agree!

Cheers guys!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Is that the initial angle shot your going for, or will the camera be lower to the ground?
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it will be lower to the ground, with a much more prominent foreground as well.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are really plowing through this competition, but it lacks the end game quality. How will you guys achieve the end game theme with what you guys have?

We're getting there. Right now we're cranking through getting a lot of content completed. A lot of the "end game" feel will come in the final lighting and effects such as meteors, smoke, fire, ect. Keep posted.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Whew! I wanna have sex with that wood! It's gunna hurt!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh... thank you? ;)
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight and I spent a good chunk of the day fleshing more stuff out. Foreground and background are both getting some love. Foreground will contain some vendors and detailed props while the background will be destruction, smoke, and meteors. Sky color / atmosphere has changed a bit so that when we add the meteors and fire trails they will pop better on the bg.

Progress:
    day9.jpg

Also got a chance tonight to get terrain working w/ UDK and do some basic texture blending. I'll be adding some ice / snow to the terrain to blend things better:
    day9terrain.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im going to be honest i love how it is right now, and if you add more details like meteors etc it will be come awkward and too busy imo , this right now is a beautifull piece as is .

oh and i ment humidity :P
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    The scene is pretty nice as it is like Johny said, What I like to see is more snow or snow melting would leave some water pools or something. But I don't think it needs more stuff, well maybe some other stuff on the streets but I think I would focus my attention on more texture work for the pieces that are near to the camera, like for example the flat brickwork on the close building. But nice entry, one of the better ones!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I disagree, I like the idea of the meteors up in the sky as long as it's kept within a nice subtle atmospheric pass. It's a nice pass from fire in the sky down to the frigid cold areas on the ground. Also it will add to the flow of the piece, think about it coming from the top right following the angle of the architecture in the background.

Keep it up guys, it's looking great :)
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Johny: I totally understand what you are saying with the meteors and I can see that if done wrong it could look quite bad. We have some ideas for lighting and some more background destruction that will blend everything together. The meteors are going to be subtle in the sky, so it won't get to busy, it should help with the flow of the shot. Thanks for the comment!

cOldhands: Thanks! Some detail passes are coming that include water pools and some elements to the foreground to break up that flat wall.

kaburan: you read our minds! We are really thinking hard on the flow of the scene, thanks for the comment :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I wanna learn all your magik-trikz. Awesome stuff all around. I think meteors in the far off distance would look good. Not as a major focal point though.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    coming along great guys, very Uncharted 2. cant wait to see the final product
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @johny, coldhands, kaburan - thanks for the feedback. We know a scene can get cluttered very quickly and are keeping this in mind as we progress. We're hoping we can add detail, while balancing texture color and contrast to make the stuff we add feel like a natural extension. For us, its key that we tell a story and provide a means for 'End Game' and to do this we'll need some more human elements and our addition of meteors. Keep in mind, we won't have giant fiery rock glowing meteors raining form the sky - but more subtle back drop meteor shower esque stuff.

We've got some concept meteors painted and just about ready to be put into the scene.

@coldhands - a terrain / snow / melting ice / water puddles pass is coming. Just got the terrain up and running again in UDK. All really great suggestions.

We really appreciated the kind words, encouragement and feedback. Don't hold anything we back!

-Tyler
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    also forgot to mention i think the rock texture on the walls to be too "handpaintedy" and barely have volume, id enhance the normal map effect or make some rocks more protuberant , also there seems to be some seams in the arch, but im sure thats something to fix in the end.

Really excited to see the final shot of this, congratulations guys :D
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking beautiful guys!

That snow is looking really awesome, especially in that shot where you are facing the ground.

The only things that seem weird to me so far are the seams on the arches, but that has already been stated and dealt with. I'm sure you guys will fix that up easy.

The other thing is the placement of the Polycount symbol. I'm not sure if I missed an explanation of it or not, but it seems like its just pasted on somewhere just to get it into the shot.

Overall kickarse though :D.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only things that seem weird to me so far are the seams on the arches
    This has been a real thorn in my side! All of the meshes are modular, so while the texture tiles horizontally, when the arches are shifted up and down it no longer tiles. There is also some strange lighting seams. Got a few solutions though to try out tonight!
    The other thing is the placement of the Polycount symbol
    A decal test and for shits n' giggles. We'll find a way to better integrate it ;)
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, ya Snight just told me haha.

Maybe you can run that red wood trim up the wall to cover the seams around those archways as well.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the pot shop for now (Lighting is still temp):

Feedback welcome!

potshop.jpg

Up next: Some houses for the top of the arch.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wicked,man!I love it!=)
    But how did you do volumetric light through the tent? is it just a plane with transparency, or something else?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The bricks on the wall in the background looks very bland. Is it a bevel in photoshop? The light is coming from below, which looks odd.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @d1ver - some simple light cones w/ translucent mats, yes!

@killingpeople - indeed, the wall has been brought up quite a bit in feedback thus far and is on the chopping block to be replaced. Thanks for the feedback.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    YUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cloth for the win!

I would love to see how you handled the alpha's for that.

beauuuttiful!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some additional drapery for the scene. Got a few things to clean up on it. Faking some simple subsurface scattering for the light above.

drapestripes.jpg
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    That is quite pretty, actually, despite the lack of visible threadbaredness. It does give me the idea to, for such a cloth that uses mostly greens and blues, embed the opacity of a texture like this directly into the red channel, and just paint red wherever there's a cut. Thankyou for inspiring random thought!

Also, good luck. Deadline's gettin' close. I think the scene is pretty, anyway, with the lightplay.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    YUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cloth for the win!

I would love to see how you handled the alpha's for that.

beauuuttiful!

Yeah Jason, u r well known cloth fan :)

gamedev - Looks beautiful indeed :) How did u deal with fake subsurf scat?

Vrav - not a bad idea, but it would give red outline along the edges where opacity will take place due to texture filtering and mipmapping. So i would not do this ;)
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The faked subsurface scattering is actually really easy. Just plug a mask into transition mask and a vector parameter (color) into transition color in your material.

To save space we've actually been putting our masks into the blue channel of the normal map. and using the DeriveNormalZ node in UDK. Pretty dope.
  • albino_goldfish
    I really like what you guys have so far, as everyone else has mentioned, the cloth looks beautiful. Any chance you guys have put together a tutorial for any of this stuff?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Lovely fabric work. The holes and the lights the rays they have feels forced, when the rest of the environment is considered.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's shit prop day. Lots of quick stuff going in to fill areas out. Snight made some killer background houses and I'm working on this:

fruitbagwhich.jpg

@albino_goldfish
    Any chance you guys have put together a tutorial for any of this stuff?
    Certainly.

@adam - agreed. They are far too strong and at an angle against the sun. Polish pass indeed.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really liking it
    what is the little air conditioner shape going to be ?
  • albino_goldfish
    gamedev wrote: »
    I

@albino_goldfish Certainly.

Awesome, i would love to know when and where whenever you guys get a chance, im working on some stuff in unreal now, mostly futuristic, but seeing the look you guys have been able to pull off here( sort of an assasins creed vibe) has me a little inspired to try my hand at something more rustic
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you're liking it 3dskillet. The "air conditioner" thing is deleted for now. We're going to be working on our second shot this week, so around that area will be flushed out more. Stay tuned!
  • smiljan66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get the feeling you have inspiration with assasins creed?
  • oalexis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Entry is looking amazing!
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you oalexis :)
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yessss this is looking awesome! My only critique is that the pottery blends in with the tent colors a lot. Maybe doing a slight color shift to the tent?
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll look into that tonight, thanks man!