Home Contests & Challenges Archives Killing Floor 2 - Guns 'n Gear - CONTEST HAS ENDED

KF2 - Guns 'n Gear - Q&A

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Use this thread to post any questions you have pertaining to the contest, Killing Floor 2, or its Steam Workshop.

Full contest details here.

KF2_Polycount-Contest.jpg

Replies

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Very interested!

Was there a list of what constitutes a "cosmetic item?" I might have missed it but all I see referenced are hats and I can't download the source art while at work.

Edit : Answer in orange.

The characters support several headgear types:

Hats, scarves, glasses, etc. And these can be set to be user enabled at the same type if they don't cause clipping issues
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Do "sets" fall under the one item per thread rule? Or should they be split apart and linked?
  • [TW]Yoshiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonzo:

The characters support several headgear types:

Hats, scarves, glasses, etc. And these can be set to be user enabled at the same type if they don't cause clipping issues

Shiv, I will try and find out the answer to that and get clarification for you as soon as possible.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I was considering making some headgear for DJ Skully. And noticed his head is is split in half and his glasses are a separate mesh. If we wanted to make a helmet that would cover his head/face, can things like his glasses be removed?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    About the wear on weapons, the wear will stay as we set it right ?
    Or is it changing somehow randomly ?
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Question, are we allowed to create a hat/cosmetic that covers the whole characters head? Thinking of creating like a full halloween mask.
  • Hideous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideous polycounter lvl 7
    There seems to be nowhere to specify the mask texture in the Material Instance?

EDIT: There is! You just have to tick the unmarked boxes in the input fields of the reflection/lens switches.
  • [TW]Yoshiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    About the wear on weapons, the wear will stay as we set it right ?

It will stay as you set it.
  • [TW]Yoshiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice wrote: »
    Question, are we allowed to create a hat/cosmetic that covers the whole characters head? Thinking of creating like a full halloween mask.

Yes, you can do that.
  • [TW]Yoshiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish wrote: »
    I was considering making some headgear for DJ Skully. And noticed his head is is split in half and his glasses are a separate mesh. If we wanted to make a helmet that would cover his head/face, can things like his glasses be removed?

I believe this can be done, will follow up.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Please answer Shiv's question about sets. I have an idea for a set of 3 hats, how should I create my thread? Three threads or one for all set?
  • ryaguy1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryaguy1986 polycounter lvl 6
    You might have answered this in the guide lines and sorry if you did but do I need to have the game in order to join this challenge?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Shiv wrote: »
    Do "sets" fall under the one item per thread rule? Or should they be split apart and linked?

I'd put your 'Set' in to one single thread under the name of the Set. So your thread title would look like:

[KF2] – Item Set – Item Set name

I'll add it to the rules page shortly.
  • Skaveria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are entirely new weapon models allowed?
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides polycounter lvl 6
    Can I use the Tripwire logo on my item's texture? I have a place for a Tripwire-like logo but not sure whether it's allowed or not.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Do hats fall off? I'm wondering if I should model out the interior of my helmet.

Thanks in advance!
  • VertigoCrayon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I tag my submission in the workshop? I don't seem to find a way to tag it properly. Thanks in advance.
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrSanzliot polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys,
    I've added weapon source art to the UV download link. The source textures are just jpeg for reference, but this should greatly improve custom skin and custom pattern workflow as now you can author and preview them in your 3d software of choice.

https://tripwireinteractive.atlassian.net/wiki/display/KF2SW/KF2+Weapon+UV+Template+Download

Cheers!
  • Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Moosebish wrote: »

Interested in knowing the answer to this as well.
  • Hideous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideous polycounter lvl 7
    I'd like to know what we should do if we want to submit a weapon pattern for multiple weapons, naming-wise.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Can we create multiple skins for items?
  • Gravedrinker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gravedrinker polycounter lvl 7
    My helmet also covers the face and I'm having an impossible time to get it to the 3000 tris limit. (Around 4200 right now). Is it possible to have it as a face item that lets you use 6000 tris?

The item in question: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157812
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,
    I apologize for the late answers, I have just returned from vacation and have been getting caught up. Here we go:

Question: I was considering making some headgear for DJ Skully. And noticed his head is is split in half and his glasses are a separate mesh. If we wanted to make a helmet that would cover his head/face, can things like his glasses be removed?
    Answer: They currently cannot be removed, I am working out a way to mask annoying parts existing on characters faces, like Ana's mohawk and Scully's glasses but it won't be available for this contest time period.

Question: About the wear on weapons, the wear will stay as we set it right ?
    Answer: Yoshiro was not 100% correct on this. We will decide final wear values.

Question: Question, are we allowed to create a hat/cosmetic that covers the whole characters head? Thinking of creating like a full halloween mask.
    Answer: Yes

Question: You might have answered this in the guide lines and sorry if you did but do I need to have the game in order to join this challenge?
    Answer: If you do not own a copy of Killing Floor 2, you can still participate. You will need to first create and have an active WIP thread as described before. Then you will request a temporary key by sending an email with a link to your thread to polycount@tripwireinteractive.com. This key will be deactivated at the end of the contest.

Question: Are entirely new weapon models allowed?
    Answer: No

Question: Can I use the Tripwire logo on my item's texture? I have a place for a Tripwire-like logo but not sure whether it's allowed or not.
    Answer: I would advise against it, but you are not prohibited in using it.

Question: Do hats fall off? I'm wondering if I should model out the interior of my helmet.
    Thanks in advance!
    Answer: No, hats do not fall off, but you should cap your interior geometry to make sure we can never see "through" your item.

Question: How can I tag my submission in the workshop? I don't seem to find a way to tag it properly. Thanks in advance.
    Answer: Currently you can only tag Weapon Skin or Cosmetic Item, the rest of the tagging I have to manually do on steam. We are working on improving tagging on the upload tool, but I'm not sure when that will be available. If you message me with your item and what tags you want that will help me tag your item.

Question: I'd like to know what we should do if we want to submit a weapon pattern for multiple weapons, naming-wise.
    Answer: EDIT > Getting more info on this, will update it soon

Question: Can we create multiple skins for items?
    Answer: Yes I would encourage that.

Question: My helmet also covers the face and I'm having an impossible time to get it to the 3000 tris limit. (Around 4200 right now). Is it possible to have it as a face item that lets you use 6000 tris?
    The item in question: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157812

Answer: The polycounts are there to avoid several combinations of items bloating the polycount too much. If your item is incompatible with other items, since it covers the whole head then I would be ok with making an exception for that type of item. It would need to invalidate the hat, and face slot.
  • square rhythm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I was wondering if it's ok to use the exact colors of the BDU's (navy, od, camo, black) that Rob Briar, and Lt. Masterson are wearing? I'm wanting to create a hat that would match their uniforms.
    Also, am I correct in assuming that the same hat in all of those various colors are considered a set, or is it still considered a single item?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    How are we supposed to tag the items now ? Maybe simply adding [Guns & Gear] to the workshop submission name would be my suggestion

Also what means that you will decide final wear values ? If you change the wear scale, that changes not much for skin creation but if you change wear intensity then that would require a different approach. Is that for every skin or only for skins where you think the wear is inapropriate (such as 0 wear) ?

Also is there a command to change character in first person for testing skins
    and one to disable the UI ?
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I consider skins and mesh variants made to fit multiple characters heads a single item. A set would be several items of the same theme that go together.

It's totally ok to match exact colors if you want.
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to protect an important part of your custom skin, you can use a durability mask in the alpha channel of your custom map to do so. We will likely add several wear intensities to the game for each skin, like light wear and heavy wear. Check out the material reference on the wiki to see how to set up a durability mask.

Here is a tutorial for testing your skin in game in first person.
    https://tripwireinteractive.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/25723065
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hmm is there a way to change the opacity? im trying to make glasses
  • grabbity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grabbity polycounter lvl 2
    On the basis of originality, specifically speaking to assets not yet created, and considering that the item's idea and theme is birthed by Tripwire Interactive's IP, is it permissible to create a Horzine Biotech-inspired cosmetic item with custom Horzine Biotech logos?
    Thank you.

My apologies if this has already been addressed.
  • VanderKuil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello.I have problem with including my texture into the SDK.
    I use this instruction:
    https://tripwireinteractive.atlassian.net/wiki/display/KF2SW/KF2+Weapon+Skin+Creation%3A+Getting+Started
    But,on the 14 step i dont know what to to.Becouse i dont know how to assign skin material to the parent.Step 17 is saying that i need to do-"Select the mesh and click the green arrow "Use Selected StaticMesh in Content Browser" This will allow you to see your skin on the mesh."
    But i have not the green arrow with this text.Only "Skeletal Mesh"
    And how i can see my skin on the mesh,if the instruction doesnt say how to add my skin into the programm.Only how to add material.
    I hope for your help.
  • Splinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splinks null
    Can cosmetics have skeletal meshes or are only static meshes currently allowed.

If so how would one implement the skeletal mesh properly into the game for testing?
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "On the basis of originality, specifically speaking to assets not yet created, and considering that the item's idea and theme is birthed by Tripwire Interactive's IP, is it permissible to create a Horzine Biotech-inspired cosmetic item with custom Horzine Biotech logos?
    Thank you."

Making Horzine themed items and skins fit with the game's art direction and are totally cool with this contest.
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Can cosmetics have skeletal meshes or are only static meshes currently allowed.

If so how would one implement the skeletal mesh properly into the game for testing?"

You would skin this by "skin wrapping" your item to our characters mesh/skeleton, converting it to a skin and then importing the item as a skeletal mesh. Looks like I need to do some testing how this is easily testable in engine. I will update the documentation soon for this.
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Hello.I have problem with including my texture into the SDK.
    I use this instruction:
    https://tripwireinteractive.atlassia...etting+Started
    But,on the 14 step i dont know what to to.Becouse i dont know how to assign skin material to the parent.Step 17 is saying that i need to do-"Select the mesh and click the green arrow "Use Selected StaticMesh in Content Browser" This will allow you to see your skin on the mesh."
    But i have not the green arrow with this text.Only "Skeletal Mesh"
    And how i can see my skin on the mesh,if the instruction doesnt say how to add my skin into the programm.Only how to add material.
    I hope for your help."

Lower in that document. There are a list of material instances for all of the skins. For example MaterialInstanceConstant'WEP_1P_AR15_9mm_SKIN_MAT.Wep_Skin_Init_AR15_MIC' The first line before the period is the package name, the second line after the period is the asset name, if you search on the left side of the content browser for the package you should be able to find it and fully load it. If the asset is loaded you can find the asset name by searching in the field on the top of the content browser.
  • DrSanzliot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, one of our community members made this step by step guide that may assist you. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=521160484&searchtext=weapon+skin
  • Splinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splinks null
    DrSanzliot wrote: »
    You would skin this by "skin wrapping" your item to our characters mesh/skeleton, converting it to a skin and then importing the item as a skeletal mesh. Looks like I need to do some testing how this is easily testable in engine. I will update the documentation soon for this.

Thank you kindly.
  • VanderKuil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your help.
  • billgard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can anyone help me , where is this color tab thing?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2hqqfr7.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    In regards to transparency, I cannot see that this is not supported right now.
    https://tripwireinteractive.atlassian.net/wiki/display/KF2SW/KF2+Cosmetic+item+Material+Tutorial

The parent material for cosmetics does not include a transparency channel.

Only question I have now is if we'll eventually be able to make character skins?
    Head/body skins?

I know it's not for this comp, but it would be great for the future.
  • 3d_haunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a license question. Is a student licensed version of 3ds max allowed to be used in this contest?
  • NodrawNT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    Hi ! I don't find a way to tag my entry for the contest how does it works ?
  • Taragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taragon null
    I have not received my temporary key, send mail two days ago. There's something I'm missing? Here is my WIP thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158191
  • Stalker8272
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Что бы участвовать в конкурсе, я должен опубликовать пост в данной теме? и указать ссылки на WIP и steamworshop? я правильно понимаю?:)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157577
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question trying to setup my item following the tutorial and getting stuck on this:

1. With your material instance open, locate this material in the content browser. KFGame\Content\Packages\MaterialLib\Item_Mat_Lib.upk Material'Item_Mat_Lib.CHR_Item_PM'
    Can't seem to find Material'Item_Mat_Lib.CHR_Item_PM'

any clues?
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    @soulstice right click on the package and fully load it :>
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh thanks pear, that worked! :)
  • VanderKuil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.Why when i press on the green button("15.Assign it to the parent of your new mic.")i have mistake-Filed to assign.
    And when i must parent my material to the mesh i have not green arrow,like in instruction(Use Selected StaticMesh in Content Browse)
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 10
    quick question can the items in sets have each there own texture map?
    example I have a hat with its own texture and a mask with its own texture.

thanks
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, so I'm rigging something that is bound to most of the upper body of a character
    PWxptG3.png
    but I'm afraid I'll be stuck doing trail and error for days just trying to get the rigging right, plus I'm unaware of how the upper arm twist corrective joints will work in game.
    if you guys could supply us with a few fbx animations for us to test rigging, that'd be really helpful.
    Something like the gear loadout idle animation.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    EDIT: fixed my import problem but now it just won't deform
    YwzCzPe.png
    this is on the jaw attachment