Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RAD Environment Team, The Order: 1886 Art Dump

Replies

• _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for the share! You guys are an awesome team!
    To be honest, this is probably one of the more consistent game in terms of quality. Love all the smart choices and the taste in your work. What about timings for production? How long you guys spent on levels, props, textures?

Cheers guys, congratz!
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    This is an incredible and jaw dropping art dump. Thank you for posting so much content :)
  • pinkbubblegum
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbubblegum polycounter lvl 4
    Oh goshhhh this whole thread is so inspiring. The materials! The environments! The props aaaaaa!!! * A *

I-I WANNA DO ALL THESE COOL THINGS TOO!
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    _Kratos_ wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the share! You guys are an awesome team!
    To be honest, this is probably one of the more consistent game in terms of quality. Love all the smart choices and the taste in your work. What about timings for production? How long you guys spent on levels, props, textures?

Cheers guys, congratz!

Someone else would be able to tell about levels/props. The texture team would spend from 1 to around 10 days in a texture. It REALLY depends on what kind of material you are doing. It depends on the amount of sculpting/masking/painting/compositing you would have to do as well. Thanks for asking :)
  • Denny
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    1 to 10 days for a texture?! Here I am thinking I am slow for not producing a good texture in an afternoon. It really makes me appreciate the amount of work the team put into this. :D
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, I know how you feel. Had to do textures in less than a day in the past, but that's where a good workflow and knowing how to reuse materials lies on production quality. It's why specializing on something can be good too.
  • Zer0Naught
    bugo wrote: »
    Oh, it's just separate geo with 2 different materials.

Is the geo popping out, or will it just be edge loops and assigning the faces a material id?
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Holy fuck guys! Yall really have set the benchmark for how good this gen should, and can look like. Every single piece posted is totally inspiring. I have some studying to do, hehe. Kudos to everyone on the team, and thanks so much for posting! Congrats to you all. Yall should be extremely proud....seriously. Looking forward to the tutorial!

On a side note I recently finished the game and had a ton of fun with it. Yes there were a few things about the game that could be better, but that is always the case though right.;) It feels like you guys could totally have an Uncharted 2 type sequel for it. You have really laid a solid foundation for that, with the engine and art pipeline.

Fuck those gaming journalists and their jaded opinions. I hope this game sells miilions of copies for you guys, because I'm totally excited to see what you could do with a sequel.
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for the info Hugo! Yeah... quality takes time.. Totally agree about specialized texture artists... back In Castlevania days, we use to be 8 guys just doing textures/materials... and that at the end of the day really made a difference..
    Congratz again guys! Still curious about level building and props timings :)
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks a lot for the art dump, putting so many images together must've taken some time.

The Substances look incredible and I think based on how many really fantastic shots of the environment there are is really a testament to just how well it was built. So many kudos.
  • ArtbyV
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! This is an amazing art dump. Thanks so much for sharing. Now to convince the wife I need a PS4...
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks a lot for the art dump, putting so many images together must've taken some time.

The Substances look incredible and I think based on how many really fantastic shots of the environment there are is really a testament to just how well it was built. So many kudos.

Oops, we did not use substance designer for this project (if that's what you mean), just letting you know ;)
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Playing through the game right now, still halfway through but I can say with certainty it's one of the most beautifully rendered games I've ever seen!! I have my gripes with some of the gameplay decisions but all in all I'm having a blast!

Congratulations to all involved and thanks for posting your work too, it's incredibly inspiring to see, loving those materials!! I would also love to see the breakdown of some of the environment art too. (modularity, etc)
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't played the game, but I love the fact that you can immediately tell that an asset is from this game. Incredibly consistent look and feel with the assets.

Kudos is very very well deserved to the RAD art team. :)
  • A Vitale
    After we posted our art dump we had a lot of requests for info about our sculpting process.
    I just finished a tutorial outlining the workflow I put in place. Hope you guys find this useful.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bepQk_GHAY4[/ame]
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • aelwine
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the video, pretty interesting workflow.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    WOW,this is quite the art dump! Really incredible looking game and great job. Those environments are so detailed.
  • Benkeeling
    Offline / Send Message
    Benkeeling polycounter lvl 10
    Great work the game looks fantastic, in my opinion purely down to the lighting and material work. That Tutorial was really helpful so thank you for putting that together. I was wondering though how would this translate to say the Mortar/plaster textures ie. something more organic. Bricks are fairly uniform. Would you use a different process for something like this or would you approach it in the same overlay method described in the video?
  • blackkeys25
    I think this is the best looking game I have ever scene. Great work!!
  • WarrenM
    Great video, thanks!

The only thing I'm unclear on is why you created 20 bricks from the stack of 5 in Maya ... I didn't see what value that added.
  • Ognyan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ognyan polycounter
    Thanks for the video mate. Great work!
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    bugo wrote: »
    Oops, we did not use substance designer for this project (if that's what you mean), just letting you know ;)

Oh really, wow. I guess I just assumed with all the other substance work you've been posting. Thats damn impressive then!
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    A Vitale wrote: »
    After we posted our art dump we had a lot of requests for info about our sculpting process.
    I just finished a tutorial outlining the workflow I put in place. Hope you guys find this useful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bepQk_GHAY4

Extremely educative, thank you so much!
  • radiancef0rge
  • A Vitale
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Great video, thanks!

The only thing I'm unclear on is why you created 20 bricks from the stack of 5 in Maya ... I didn't see what value that added.

I have 5 brick variations duplicated 20 times, so a total of 100 bricks as a single mesh. I made extra for other patterns I could layout.

The overlap workflow is just like blend shapes for characters. The overlap.obj and the pattern.obj are the same mesh/point order, but the vertices have different positions. In zbrush when I drop to subd 4 and import the pattern zbrush knows its the same mesh and loads in the new vertex positions. That's why it retains all the sculpting info.
  • Lamuness
    [HP] wrote: »
    I would also love to see the breakdown of some of the environment art too. (modularity, etc)

For the most part, it's all pretty simple. Pillar, panel, pillar formula works well. We do have a pretty robust instancing system that account for variations, but there are time where we just have to create unique pieces just for the shapes/sizes that we want.

I like to create groups of instances with different variation and populate them around. For example, a group with pillar1 and trim1, then a group with pillar 2 with trim1, etc.
  • 3DKyle
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Wow this is just amazing. Love the materials and it's great of you guys to show us your wireframes. Can't wait to get this game.
  • Lt_Commander
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    The work here is simply awe inspiring. It's a truly high bar for others to strive for, congratulations to everyone involved!
  • failhappy
    Offline / Send Message
    failhappy polycounter lvl 3
    This is kind of soul crushing, but I need to remember you guys are amazing artists and I've not been at it that long.

Brilliant work, I look forward to playing the game just to gaze at the beautiful workmanship.
  • stefmen
    I just have to say that are some really amazing materials!

GIF-bubbles-glasses-OMG-shocked-trailer-park-boys-wow-GIF.gif
  • Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Love your work, Love this game ! Great job guys !
  • A Vitale
    Hello All,
    After I released my Overlap Sculpt Workflow I received requests to demonstrate how I created the sculpt setup. Here you go!

Sculpt Setup:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7LESzFHAk[/ame]

Overlap Sculpt Workflow:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bepQk_GHAY4[/ame]
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the workflow breakdown, really instructive and well explained!
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Started looking at this on my break but just can't take my eyes off all this amazing art!
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    The videos are fantastic, Thanks so much for taking the time to put them together.This is such a great workflow to re-use assets and reset them up in new patterns. I'm going to try this on my next project. It looks a lot friendlier than the IMM brushes.
  • Tepcio
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man, thanks for so many additions to inspiration folder and the workflow vids. You guys did an awesome work!
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Vitale! loving the videos. Is there a way to take my mesh from zbrush bring it into max and make copies of the mesh and have it retain its zbrush data? or would that mesh have to be made in zbrush?
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey man! Thanks so much for this.
    Quick question for you, or anyone else who may know: I tried to duplicate your results, but for some reason wrap mode only really tiles correctly for me when it's set to 2. I don't get as good of performance out of this, and it's really frustrating. When I have it set to 1 instead of 2 like you, no matter how I do it (even exactly like you) it doesn't tile until double distance out of frame. Do you know why that is?
  • A Vitale
    ae. wrote: »
    Hey Vitale! loving the videos. Is there a way to take my mesh from zbrush bring it into max and make copies of the mesh and have it retain its zbrush data? or would that mesh have to be made in zbrush?

yes...kinda
    If you bring a mesh in from zbrush do not combine or separate the mesh, only duplicate it. You do not want to change the point order. After edits in Max or Maya each copy needs to be exported out individually. Then in zbrush duplicate the subtool and load in the obj.
  • CharacterCarl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Thank you for the tutorial! This thread has been highly insightful so far.

It took me a while but after I managed to replicate your results I modified the workflow a bit for my own preference:

1. I separate the mesh after duplicating and sculpting, then center the pivots of the individual parts and freeze out their transforms at the world origin. Then, after I'm done positioning them, I combine them into one mesh again and export them into ZBrush after I created the sets.

AqzJ6AK.jpg

2. Inside ZBrush I use ArrayMesh to do the tiling. By merging the bricks with a unified space-sized plane first I can get the spacing right.

thuNovE.jpg

I'm not that proficient on the topic though, so let me now if this works or if you encounter any issues.
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Really awesome stuff, thanks for sharing RAD team! A Vitale, I'm curious, could you show some unlit / albedo-only shots for the images you had comparing lighting only vs. final? I'm interested in seeing what value ranges you were working with in textures.
  • zOffTy
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Impressive amount of stuff here!!
    thanks for sharing some tips, very interesting :) !
  • Victariand
    Offline / Send Message
    Victariand polycounter lvl 7
    I do apologize for the bump, but I wished to post a few late additions if anyone is interested.

Credits for these areas would include Nathan Phail-Liff, Megan Parks, Hugo Beyer, David Lieu, Bobby Rice with the Roundtable Room. The Catacombs would include Nathan Phail-Liff, Anthony Vitale, Holly Prado and Austin Montgomery. Underground credits would include Anthony Vitale, Erin Mckown, Bobby Rice, Nathan Phail-Liff, Edgar Martinez.

At the bottom of the post there are three screenshots from the game, as it was, from 2012. The game evolved a long way in a short period of time and I thought it engaging to see just how much.

wmp_010_e.jpg
    wmp_010_c.jpg
    cat_020_a.jpg
    cat_030_e.jpg
    cat_030_d.jpg
    cat_040_e.jpg
    cat_040_c_wires.jpg
    cat_040_g.jpg
    cat_030_c_wires.jpg
    cat_040_a.jpg
    cat_040_a_wires.jpg
    proto_010_d.jpg
    proto_010_g.jpg
    proto_010_b.jpg
  • greenglow2004
    Awesome thread!!
    Completed this game earlier, the level design, material design and Lighting blew me away, I kept wanting to stop and Inspect every surface and object.

Would actually pay the full price again for dlc that let me just free roam the maps and stare at stuff.:poly124:
    Loving all these material and level shots.

Im a lighting and post pro nerd, Can any of you rad guys give us a break down of whats actually going on in your post pro chain? its extremely cinematic and pretty!
  • ArtbyV
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    Victariand wrote: »
    I do apologize for the bump, but I wished to post a few late additions if anyone is interested.

No need to apologize man. I can stare at this stuff all day. The game looks breath taking. Keep it coming!
  • retmia
    Offline / Send Message
    retmia polycounter lvl 8
    Have you seen that guys ?

https://vimeo.com/123112150

It's the Fire FX breakdown of The Order, by Brian Merrill. (There are a couple of other links on the video's description)
  • zXe
    Offline / Send Message
    zXe polycounter lvl 3
    This is one of the best threads I've seen. I plan to get a PS4 soon and I will get this game. Now... to practice my texturing.
  • rightBrainer
    Offline / Send Message
    rightBrainer polycounter lvl 4
    Lord almighty... The awesomeness never ends. Great art!
  • zXe
    Offline / Send Message
    zXe polycounter lvl 3
    Thought I'd just drop a link to this thread at ZbrushCentral - some more work from the RAD team.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?193491-The-Order-1886-Team-Post

They won the award for best game art of the year and best studio thread on ZbrushCentral.

http://www.readyatdawn.com/ready-at-dawn-wins-two-zbrushcentral-awards/