Home Unreal Engine

Landscape Layer Blend Help

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, i am in need of some help with UDK textures for landscape, i have been looking for a solution to this problem i am having and i came across an old post on landscape layer blend HERE. what is the limit of textures i can have? so far i have plugged 17 different textures and it seems to be running smoothly and without a problem. Although i don't know if this is wise. Also how could i manage to get Normal Maps on my textures as well? i am a little confused of how this system works and i cant seem to find anything on the UDK documentation. When i create another Layer Blend i get this error message: warningX4008: floating point division by zero
errorX4579: NaN and infinity literals not allowed by shader model.
Im rather confused as to how this works. Thanks for any help guys! Here is a screenshot just for visual purposes. I know there is nothing plugged into the layer but even with something plugged in it gives the same error message. With just the diffuse on it seems to work perfectly fine, i can paint any of those 17 layers and apparently even more if i chose.
M6lW0gK.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    There is a limit to the number of textures that can be rendered by most graphics cards in one go. I can't remember exactly, I think it's 16 total per landscape chunk. That includes diffuse, spec, normal, etc.

What you have there looks like crazy overkill. No one needs 12 sand layers.

As for the error, have you tried Googling it? That's the first thing I try when I get an obscure message.
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i figured out why i was getting that error message, im not 100% sure but i deleted it all and started again with just 5 layers and it seems to be working fine. I guess i was getting carried away with to many textures. As for that error message, it seems to be a DirectX error, so i guess i was just pushing it to far. Thanks for the help, i will post further if in need of more assistance.
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one more question and it could be related to this... What would be the best resolution for the textures of the terrain? currently i am working with 512 and it looks fairly decent. Would 512x512 be fine or even go up to 1024x1024? I thought of posting on here since its pretty much related to this. Thanks
  • Eric Chadwick
    Depends on your memory limits. For consoles, generally 512s. For PCs, generally 1024s or more rarely 2048s.

Also depends on how many times you tile those textures across your terrain. How small are the pixels in world units? In the past I've used somewhere in the range of 2 pixels per centimeter on terrains. But it depends how close the camera gets, how blurry it looks.

If you tile a higher number of times across your terrain, then the tile repetition will be more obvious, so you need to hide it with various tricks. For example:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html#Multi-UV%20Mixing:%20Reducing%20tiling%20through%20scalar%20mixing
  • Chicken Dip
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it will be in 3rd person view so i think 512 will be good since it will be seen from quite high, currently i am viewing it in first person with the standard character height in UDK and its looking fine, a little blury but i think once in 3rd person view it will look fine, also i will have many things breaking up the world like trees, rocks, grass, etc etc... it will be more of a island looking place. I will consider using that method to give it more variation. Also, i figured out what was causing that error. It was because i had all my PreviewWeights set to 0 when i changed it on the first one in the Normal map it fixed it. To be honest i am not sure how to see how small my pixels per world units are, would you be able to direct me to see? Thanks for the help
  • Eric Chadwick
    If it looks good, that's good enough. Pixels-per-unit is mostly for when you're working in a team, and you need everyone to make assets that are consistent with one another. So your tree trunks are not sharper-looking than the grounds they're on, etc.