Home Unreal Engine

Material editor not assigning textures

Sorry if this is a common question but I tried searching, couldn't find a thread related.

Disclaimer: I'm a UDK noob. Been following tutorials so I believe my procedure is correct.

Problem: I load my mesh and the textures into the content browser, no problem. Then I make a new material and add in the textures and link them up to the correct slots. BUT nothing appears in the preview window, it just remains the standard grey and purple checkerboard. Same when I run it as a test.

Procedure: Mesh is exported from Max as ASE with "Mesh normals" and "mapping coordinates" ticked (as well as "Mesh definition" and "Materials"). Textures are saved out as 24 bit 1k, 2k or 4k tga's.

I have the latest install of UDK.

If anyone has any tips I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
Nick.

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    is there a red error message in the top left of the material editor? A purple and white checkerboard usually means something has broken in the material. Can we see your material setup?
  • GrowlerProductions
    No, there's no red error message. Regarding posting a pic of the material setup, I haven't bothered saving a setup yet as nothing works. No matter what texture I import, when I connect it to the diffuse slot (or any other slot) nothing happens.

The only warning/error I've seen is when I import the mesh it says something along the lines of, "xxx # of verts importing, expected yyy # of verts." Could that be due to unwelded edges? If so, that's a bit of a problem as I'm importing a car with windows and doors and all its parts loaded as one object.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Try checking your object to see if the UVs imported correctly. Sounds like UDK is checking to see if every vert has a UV, and some do not.

Another thought -- maybe you have multiple materials assigned to your car and it is simply going into the wrong slot? Open your asset in the content browser and expand LODInfo --> [0] --> Elements . Do you see multiple entries, or is there just one slot? The material editor preview window will only display your material on the [0] material index, regardless of how many you have.
  • GrowlerProductions
    Yes, I have multiple materials. Thank you for the advice, I will fix that and see if it works. I'll also check the uv's. You've been a great help.